Airfix 2017

Denford

Hi Graham thanks and appreciate what you are saying but in the case of eg the Whitley no one will ever know how accurate the model is. Of course factory drawings might be available but in the notorious case of the Fairey Battle they resulted in a bit of a disaster in terms of accuracy! Did Valom have access to factory drawings when they made their soon to be released HP Harrow? To be honest I dont care but will buy a kit if no one else is ever going to produce a model of that plane, and certainly Airfix wont! Unless the model has glaring inaccuracies we will all be happy! Im looking forward to the MicroMir miles Aerovan, no surviving aircraft but am sure the model will look good

. Cheers

Of course factory drawings might be available but in the notorious case of the Fairey Battle they resulted in a bit of a disaster in terms of accuracy! D

The problem with the Battle was they didn't get a factory drawing, their enquiry was directed to the PR department who sent them a GA drawing of one of the concept drawings before the design was finalised. If the enquiry had been sent to the drawing office, then they would have got accurate production drawings

In the specific case of the Whitley, Airfix (slightly) modified their tooling after initial exposure on this board, and there has been considerable discussion on the correct width of the tail: discussion which brought out the news (to me at least) that a tail assembly actually existed. The key problem, as Dave points out, is that we casually talk of decent drawings, and Company General Arrangements, without realising that this does not mean the actual drawings that made the parts. This is what has been used by the finest of draughtsmen in the hobby - but only the very finest - and is the kind of information Airfix was referring to. The Drawing Office not the PR Department. What made the Battle different was that it didn't require just a few scrapes with a knife and an aftermarket part to produce a more accurate representation: the basic kit was so far adrift that to make it accurate required a major rebuild. Yet inevitably, what is a "glaring inaccuracy" to one person goes entirely unnoticed by another.

Even so, aircraft are very complicated machines, built in small batches with changes between each batch. There are myriad traps where what is right at one time is wrong at another. The nacelles on the Blenheim are one case: correct to the shape of the surviving example at Duxford but this was a Bolingbroke which were different in this respect. Clearly not a "glaring inaccuracy": Airfix also missed the additional intake for the tropicalised aircraft. Yet this is worth mentioning in any comments on the kit and (in the latter case) the production of aftermarket. The Vampire discussion above shows that even an informed commentator may not be aware of all the implications and variations. Which is what makes this kind of discussion board so valuable.

• Like 2

That might have worked, but Airfix could then have pointed to the actual airframe at Duxford and say "We're right, you're wrong." What's missing was the key piece of information that Bolingbrokes were different in this area, so looking closely at the photo evidence would have been profitable. It is often spotting/missing that little hint which makes the difference, and I don't think there's any magic way of avoiding this every time. Detailed research, and discussions with enthusiasts for the type, does help but there's only so much time and effort that can be spared in a commercial environment. This is why the normal run of articles and plans in a regular magazine, written or produced in a short time to a tight schedule, will often repeat old myths or create new ones, and should be taken with a pinch of salt compared to the rarer publication from a guy who's spent much un-commercial time researching the case. Of course, this may have been published 25 years ago and almost totally unavailable now, even if you've ever heard of it!

The Blenhiem wasn't LIDAR'd, and the one at Duxford doesn't have a Bolingbroke shaped nacelle, it actually (IIRC) has a unique shape that is neither one or the other. So if they looked at the Duxford one, and (say ) the RAFM Bolingbroke, then there is a difference, so that's what they reproduced.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

This is why the normal run of articles and plans in a regular magazine, written or produced in a short time to a tight schedule, will often repeat old myths or create new ones, and should be taken with a pinch of salt compared to the rarer publication from a guy who's spent much un-commercial time researching the case. Of course, this may have been published 25 years ago and almost totally unavailable now, even if you've ever heard of it!

People like Mike Starmer, Richard Harley and many others will agree on that!

One of the worst is the 'All youngsters are interested in today is computer games', in my rather extensive family I know that one is complete rubbish and I'm glad Sam has piped up. It seems to have been an attempt by editors to explain falling market share (and sales) when actually, rubbish content was the reason. I cite; reviews that were always positive, new release information that was totally advertorial, build articles that were more about pushing finishing products that making the kit or were little more than illustrated instruction sheets.

BoT whatever Airfix release and when is great for discussion and thus promoting the brand, but I think their security is on a whole new level nowadays so leaks will be minimal. We can still hope that someone reads these threads and may be stimulated to do something with the information and wishes expressed.

• Like 1

Interesting to note that computer games can even draw people into the hobby. I personally know couple of World of Tanks addicts who started to build armour models. And I know a Wargaming programmer who started to build airplane models after couple of years working in World of Warplanes team :)

• Like 4

Good afternoon

If Airfix is to relase a Curtiss H75 they should be quick http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008812-172-curtiss-p-36-hawk-by-azmodel/

But I won't refuse to be given the choice between AZ and Airfix ..

Patrice

An optimist! Well Done. A choice of one would be a good start.

• Like 1

Good afternoon

If Airfix is to relase a Curtiss H75 they should be quick http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008812-172-curtiss-p-36-hawk-by-azmodel/

Patrice

Or they will cover different versions :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Good afternoon

Patrice

Or just do it in 1/48th scale, please Airfix :)

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rivers3162 said:

Out of interest, had anyone who ordered the new Jet Provost from Hattons received theirs yet? I'm still waiting for my 2...

Ā 

My 5 arrived last Friday (sorry to rub it in), it is a very sweet kit and I've started one already.