Airfix 2017

Denford

What do modellers know about modelling any way ??

Sadly this bit appears to be all too true. :mellow:

Have you visited their forum.....It's a joke, not a very funny one, but it nicely encapsulates Airfix actual attitude to their customers IMHO. :rolleyes:

The one positive in all this is that Airfix is profitable. That means a possibility if Hornby panics or dies that the circling vultures will see a business opportunity. If Airfix ends up making money under the ownership of, say, Lego, at least it will still exist.

My apologies to fans of any of Hornby's loss making products!

Hi

I bought airfix as a kid, teen, adult, and getting old :)

To me the best thing airfix can produce in 2017 is

quality assurance.

I reluctantly buy airfix now as it is almost certain there will be an issue with the kit :(

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 2

If the rumours about them brining some production back to the Uk are true, we may see better Quality Control.

I don't think Airfix are going anywhere, Hornby's statement about concentrating on core profitable (UK) brands (and everything about Airfix, such as investments in new moulds, says they must be making money) would indicate that we'll see their Railways, Corgi, Airfix and Humbrol continue.

I disagree, Airfix have produced some of their finest in recent years and long may it be so. And lets not forget their EE Lightning and Seafire 47 are second to none.

I think you're right. I was looking at the Whitley in its box last night and thinking how good it was! The Defiant which I've just built is another superb kit. They're improving all the time.

As for quality control, yes there does appear to be a problem in some cases but sadly it's nothing new. I actually remember as a child on several occasions my father sending off the little slip because there was a bit missing or broken from a kit I'd bought. I don't remember Matchbox kits having this problem!

Ian

• Like 4

If the rumours about them brining some production back to the Uk are true, we may see better Quality Control.

I don't think Airfix are going anywhere, Hornby's statement about concentrating on core profitable (UK) brands (and everything about Airfix, such as investments in new moulds, says they must be making money) would indicate that we'll see their Railways, Corgi, Airfix and Humbrol continue.

Major investment in new moulds says that a determined and courageous (possibly in the Yes Minister sense) effort has been made to reinvigorate the Airfix brand. Virtual dumping of kits from those nearly new moulds makes me worry how profitable that effort has been, however much we have all enjoyed it.

If railways, Corgi, Airfix and Humbrol are core profitable for Hornby, what areas are left to prune back?

And Humbrol still being profitable despite lamentable quality makes me think Reggie Perrin's Grotshop was ahead of its time.

I think you're right. I was looking at the Whitley in its box last night and thinking how good it was! The Defiant which I've just built is another superb kit. They're improving all the time.

As for quality control, yes there does appear to be a problem in some cases but sadly it's nothing new. I actually remember as a child on several occasions my father sending off the little slip because there was a bit missing or broken from a kit I'd bought. I don't remember Matchbox kits having this problem!

Ian

Agree with you on both counts, especially re the Whitley.

Of course I would rather not have the QC problems (though they seem to have affected others more than me) but as you say it's nothing new. What really saddens me is how the means of putting them right, the customer service department which had always been quite exemplary even through Airfix's darkest days, now seems a mere shadow of its former self and not up to the job of handling the increased level of demands an evidently conscious acceptance of lower QC standards has created.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2

C

Agree with you on both counts, especially re the Whitley.

Of course I would rather not have the QC problems (though they seem to have affected others more than me) but as you say it's nothing new. What really saddens me is how the means of putting them right, the customer service department which had always been quite exemplary even through Airfix's darkest days, now seems a mere shadow of its former self and not up to the job of handling the increased level of demands an evidently conscious acceptance of lower QC standards have created.

Too right, not been able to provide me with canopies, even said I was prepared to pay for them, its been a year since I first asked for a swift one..

Absolutely agree with Brewerjerry, quailty control and consistency is poor.

The really sad thing is, is that there appears to be really good research and development work, and superb choice of subjects going on at Airfix, but the execution of the kit ranges from good to awful.

The plastic quality varies a lot as does the molding, many of their kit reviews, either professional or amateur, mention overdone panel lines, lines where they shouldn't be, and fit issues.

The Canberra kit is a classic case in point, looks like the work went into the development, but very poorly produced with trench panel lines, features that don't exist, and major inaccuracies.

I couldn't wait for the Shackleton kit, and again it disappointed in plastic quality, heavy surface detail, and errors, while Revell produced one that is cheaper to buy with surface detail that looks like it came from Tamiya. That should have been one of Airfix's finest moments.

Someone mentioned the Lightning and the Seafire kits, they were indeed superb and represent the best of Airfix (along with the Sea Vixen & Javelin) and were as good as the competition, but those kits are now almost twenty years old!

I still have an original Lightning release which I compared to a recent release and the plastic was much better in the original.

That's why the Victor kit really has to deliver to be worth £55, I dare say a huge amount of R&D has gone into it in the UK, but it has to backed by quality production and finish (overseas?).

Ian

I remember doing the same thing, cutting the cardboard form from behind the blister pack, sending it off and then waiting for the postman each day until the part arrived.

I couldn't wait for the Shackleton kit, and again it disappointed in plastic quality, heavy surface detail, and errors, while Revell produced one that is cheaper to buy with surface detail that looks like it came from Tamiya. That should have been one of Airfix's finest moments.

What errors? I'd agree re surface detail, but the Revell kit has some glaring inaccuracies, especialy in the shape of the nose

Why is it modellers are such good moaners, if Airfix and other good makes could copy the real aircraft into miniature some would still find errors.

We have some of the best technology applied to model making - 3D scanning, slide moulding, CAD and we are still not satisfied. If companies bring into greater QA, the price will go up and guess what

we will have moaners on here about that. :weep:

Lets celebrate that Airfix didn't go to the wall a few years back and that they are a good British company giving us some great models, if the kit has an error you don't like, then spend some time and money improving it or spend your money elsewhere.

Whinge over

• Like 10

C

Too right, not been able to provide me with canopies, even said I was prepared to pay for them, its been a year since I first asked for a swift one..

Try the vacform canopy available from Hannants. You don't have to wait 12 months, and you'll end up with a thinner canopy.

I don't see moaning, this is a forum where discussion about modelling takes place, and I for one wouldn't still be buying Airfix products if I wasn't satisfied with them.

To my mind though, there is a real disparity between the development work (ie the measuring, scanning, research, CAD etc) and the end product quality.

It seems the hard UK work is possibly being let down in the kit rendering and manufacturing process?

To keep up in a strong kit market Airfix really do need their initial hard work to shine through in the box on the shelf. I really hope this happens for 2017.

• Like 1

I have to admit I haven't seemed to have had the same problems with QC that some have reported (a rare bit of luck for me, I suppose). Other than a little bit of dimpling on the top of the starboard fuselage half of my Shackleton (easily fixed), the moulding was exemplary. My Hurricane, Gladiator, Fw-190F-8 (two kits), Swordfish, Spitfire Mks.I/II (two kits) and XIX (two kits), F-51D Mustang, Lancaster B.II, Bf-110C, Canberra PR.9, DC-3, and Bf-109E-7 (all in 1/72nd scale), have all been well-moulded, with no short shots or poorly-done canopies that I've noticed. Regarding the 'trench-lines', admittedly some of the aircraft mentioned in this post have had some heavy panel lines, but whether they are too heavy or not is I suppose something of a bit of personal taste. I've seen kits with scale panel lines, which promptly disappear the moment I apply my first primer coat. I'll take fairly robust panel lines (and I'm not talking Matchbox here) any day, as I can tend to be a bit heavy-handed with my airbrushing. At any rate, I'm well-pleased with my recent Airfix kits, and I shall continue to buy them unless they go up in price tremendously, or I start to see some of the serious quality control issues some people have seen.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

It is because there is something wrong about the original 1:1 version! :bobby:

Why is it modellers are such good moaners, if Airfix and other good makes could copy the real aircraft into miniature some would still find errors.

A few years ago I would have picked up all this 1/72 releases just out of interest. Now I'll probably get no more than one or two. The reason is cost. Hornby (unsurprisingly) have steadily and significantly increased prices on new releases. Look at the cost of the two Beaufighter kits as an example.

Airfix no longer stacks up favourably against many European manufacturers in the value for money stakes. A few years ago I'd have cheered if Airfix had announced an RAF Phantom as I'd no longer be stuck with importing the Fujimi one. Now I just think what's the point as if they did do one it would invariably be more expensive now than Fujimis.

.... but surely no-one pays the RRP that Airfix publishes on their website?

I've just pre-ordered two Airfix Jet Provosts from Hattons at GBP 4.00 each.

That's even cheap when one converts it over to a not so great AUD conversion rate.

Knock off the VAT, pay a smidgen of postage and these kits end up being excellent value for money.

Cheers .. Dave

• Like 1

A few years ago I would have picked up all this 1/72 releases just out of interest. Now I'll probably get no more than one or two. The reason is cost. Hornby (unsurprisingly) have steadily and significantly increased prices on new releases. Look at the cost of the two Beaufighter kits as an example.

Airfix no longer stacks up favourably against many European manufacturers in the value for money stakes. A few years ago I'd have cheered if Airfix had announced an RAF Phantom as I'd no longer be stuck with importing the Fujimi one. Now I just think what's the point as if they did do one it would invariably be more expensive now than Fujimis.

The Airfix Beaufighters are still much cheaper than the closest opposition Hasegawa which cost roughly the same on release almost 20 years ago as the current Airfix kit does now!

Regarding UK Phantoms, the Fujimi kit is still relatively pricey, nearly 20 years old and not that accurate, if Airfix brought one out I'd expect it to be comparable in price and a damn site more accurate.

It's good to have the choice, but I know which one I'd go for.

.... but surely no-one pays the RRP that Airfix publishes on their website?

I've just pre-ordered two Airfix Jet Provosts from Hattons at GBP 4.00 each.

That's even cheap when one converts it over to a not so great AUD conversion rate.

Knock off the VAT, pay a smidgen of postage and these kits end up being excellent value for money.

Cheers .. Dave

Likewise, ordered a small case full at that price, likewise, just bought the B5N1 Kate for a princely £12 posted (£16.99 being the list price).

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

For me it's not so much a question of pricing as availability - the Airfix Beaufighters, for example... what other option was there? The Hasegawa kits were regularly going for around £20-£25 on ebay and other than that you had very little chance of getting one.

I'm not sure of the availability of the Fujimi Phantom but if Airfix do make one you can at least be reasonably confident of getting one.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3