Absolutely love that - great job!

Enjoyed reading the back story as well. I can certainly vouch for how impressive the beast was at lower level - I think it is the first a/c I ever remember when one appeared form behind a treeline right over my head on a low circuit around Thorney island. Made quite an impression I can tell you!

Nice work, chap.

ATB
Rick

Gentlemen, many thanks to one and all of you who viewed the model and thank you for all the nice replies. I have never had so many viewings or replies before, I am a bit overwhelmed.

Another short story if I may:

There were 4 of us ATC cadets and we were put up into the tail boom for a flight of about 1 hour to do continuation training at Abingdon. After we landed and taxied back to 53 squadrons buildings on the north west corner of the airfield (know by 47 squadron as "sleepy hollow" as nothing much happened there), we sat in the boom waiting to be told we could get out. We sat there for about 20 minutes, with the engines ticking over, then we started to taxi out to the runway, and we took off again. After about 20 minutes in the air, the headset I was wearing crackled into life, and the Abingdon tower asked the captain if he still had 4 ATC cadets on board. He said no, he had not, but then I spoke to him and informed him otherwise, at which he let of a expletive beginning with S! A few minutes later the AQM came up to us and said that they were on route to somewhere on the continent, and were now having to turn back. When we got back we were not blamed as we were always told not to wander around inside the aircraft without supervision from the crew. They had just forgotten about us. The aircraft did not then carry on, they must have missed the slots over the channel or whatever. Ho hum!

Thanks again for looking.

Laurence.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Lovely model.

I too remember the one at Hendon. Also one at Southend, and one on the fire dump at Bicester.

I went in the sole survivor when it was at the Army Transport Museum - as a Herc driver I must admit I was surprised by just how primitive it was!

However the decal sheet is superb.

Err, not quite. Congratulations for getting the markings right, as the decal sheet has several errors.

If you build the camouflage version of 84 Squadron, the one RAF roundel on top of the wing is correct but all the white/silver schemes had roundels above and below both wings. Unfortunately only three roundels are included for the wings. Also the white title lettering 'MIDDLE EAST' is mis-spelt 'MIDLE'.

If you build XB267 of 47 Sqn., the fuselage serial is omitted on the decal sheet . Also the squadron Heron insignia decal on the tail is facing to the right on both sides, which should face to the left on the port side.

The 30 Sqn. aircraft should have 'ROYAL AIR FORCE MIDDLE EAST' titles in black on fuselage and nose, but the instructions erroneously show these as 'Transport Command', which are not correct for 1967. Also 30 Squadrons’ diamond tail insignia and nose code were both in RED, not black as on the decal sheet.

Finally, there are no blue cheatlines included for the silver/white versions

Gentlemen, thank you once again for your comments.

By reply to green puffin (6th September): XB267 was delivered to 47 squadron at Abingdon on 14th March 1956. She remained at Abingdon for all of her career and was delivered to 27MU on 15th November 1967, where she was declared NEA (I think this is Non-effective Airframe) and was scrapped in 1969. This information is from the book, The Blackburn Beverley by Geoff Gladstone.I think there was a very good chance your Dad flew this aircraft.

By reply to AMB. When I said the decal sheet was superb I actually meant the quality. All the decals stuck down without any problems and with no silvering evident, although I did use a little decal solution. You are correct about the actual errors etc. The crane motive on the fin was not on 267 in 1962 when she wore day glow. The motive in the book photos is slightly different anyway with some wavy lines behind the crane, which I think may have been blue. The style on the decal sheet was used much later I believe. I was also disappointed that the sheet did not contain the Abingdon coat of arms, which all Abingdon based aircraft wore on the nose. I know it would have been very small, but would have been better than the hand painted job I had to try to do, along with the blue cheat lines.

Once again thanks and happy modelling.

Edited by laurencecassidy