Ac-119K 1/72 italeri

fw190ddora

Hi, fw190ddora

I have Italieri's C-119G, although it is still safely tucked away deep in my stash. I am not sure what kind of conversion did you have in mind, but the main difference between K and older G model is an omission of auxiliary jet engines. On the other hand, if we are talking about improvements there is certainly room for that with piston engines. Italieri provided generic 1 1/2 9-cylinder star which does not really look a part. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any AM R-3350 engines on the market. However, cowling seems to be quite a tight fit so scratching few improvements on crankcase and giving cylinders a black wash to highlight cooling ribs would probably do the trick. Instrumental panel looks very businesslike, although it is not really accurate. However, unless you are intending to remove part of the fuselage above the cockpit do not bother with correcting it, just paint and dry brush it and you will be fine. Engraving originally positive panels and correcting inaccurate ones would also improve a look of a model, but I doubt it is worth the trouble. Undercarriage could do with new tires; again, I am not aware of any AM replacement set specifically for C-119, though probably there are some available. As for a gunship version some replacement guns or at least muzzles would certainly help. Just my thoughts. Cheers

Jure

Engines: Goffy Model did a pair of resin engines for the P-2 Neptune, which used the R-3350 as well. They'd be different versions, but at that scale behind that propeller, they'd probably be OK. The only problem is to find them.

Engines and Things does 5 different R-3350 engines in 1/72nd, including one for the P2V. That one is 72069 in Roll Models catalog. The others are 72004, 72005, 72095, and 72096. HTH!

Tom