Messerschmitt Me-262 STGB Chat

trickyrich

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2018 at 23:22, Knight_Flyer said:

I wonder how many Airfix 262's will be in this GB  :D ...and yet to see a Revell make an appearance that I believe is a good kit too.

If we are lucky some of the newish Revell 1/32 B-1/u_1 will arrive

Hello anybody know if Me. 262 carried the mid-war colors of RLM-74/75 over 76 ? I have a description of the Nightfighter Prototype V-056 wearing this scheme with green mottle and an RLM-22 all black tail for testing purposes ? Would greatly appreciate it if someone can confirm this as possible ? V-056 also carried the late Two green over 76 scheme when she was with NJG-11 Commando Welter. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis

RLM 74/75 over 76 was the factory standard colours for the Me-262 from what I've read. I have pictures of 170059 in this scheme with these as the stated colours, V056 (170056) appears to be in the identical scheme though they do not mention the RLM colours, I don't have (well couldn't find) photos of 170056 in any other later scheme.

V056 did have a black tail for a while, this was for test purposes and it was covered in white tufts for airflow observations, when the FuG-218 "Staghorn" antennas were fitted. Originally it had "V2" in large white letters on the nose before this was changed to V0565. Later on the black was replaced with the standard RLM 74/75 over 76. 

I don't know about the "two tone" green though. There are photo's of V056 after the war still in what looks to be her original colours (even though they are B&W photos , the patterns and tones appear to match). She still carries the white V056 just in front of the cockpit plus she has the FuG 226 antennas ("Neuling" IFF Radar), fitted to the port wing and a small dorsal fairing behind the cockpit (to help with testing of a larger canopy. She also still had the RLM70 nose cone. She was found at Lechfeld air base with a nose gear without the FuG-218 antennas fitted (though they may have been removed.) She completed 176 flights and logged nearly 50 hours by March 45 (she took to the air in Autumn 44).

I'm not too sure how much of this will help you or not.

• Thanks 1

Rich thats more than i have. The B/W photos i have are most likely the same as yours, but i assumed the later greens because of a profile. I know a dunderheaded move but it still seemed plasuible. I will go with the RLM-74/75 over 76 then. I was tempted to do the black tail. However in 1/72 how am i going to represent the white tufts of  what is Im guessing wool ? 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You know I hate to be the barer of bad news folks but I've just noticed that we have only 3 weekends or 2 weeks of this build to go!!! :yikes::frantic:

I had almost stopped on mine as I'm slow close to finishing that I figured I had lots of time to spare....I blame Arniec for this as he's distracted me with other build (my really old Ju-88 build and a new Ju-388 build....both Night-Fighters).

I know most of the build are getting close to being completed and Enzo's planning another 4 or so for his squadron, but we need to keep an eye on the time.

We have some amazing builds in the gallery already so lets see how many more we can get in there.

The end is the 5th of August....not far away!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Enzo's planning another 4 or so for his squadron

:rofl:    But many a true word is spoken in jest.  Once the Airfix Me262B is released, I'll be doing my own Me262 Phase 2 build...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

well folks time is nearly upon us, just 1 week to go!!

I think it's time to start panicking wee bit, I know there are quite a few builds that are very close to finishing......Enzo, where's your squadron???

Time for that final push, lets see how many builds we can complete before the finish.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arniec said:

Schouldn't that be a Geschwader in the Luftwaffe?! So, you have build almost 200 models?! 😁😈

Cheers, 

give him a chance, he's still waiting for Airfix's Me-262B. :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

give him a chance, he's still waiting for Airfix's Me-262B. :D

Well there were only four of the nightfighters, so he would be finished fast. 😜

• Haha 1

Some great builds happened here and Rich did another great job hosting this GB :clap2: Just a shame that I failed again in finishing my model...

I have to say that I was surprised to see only 18 builds from 16 Britmodellers. This STGB got 33 names (votes) on the list, so it looked like a well supported STGB. But only 6 of them actually started a build - In other words, only 6 of the 33 actually participated in the STGB which is a bit disappointing. :hmmm:

On the other hand, 10 Britmodellers whose name wasn't on the list participated on the Me 262 STGB which is nearly twice as many of the participants from the list. :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1