Messerschmitt Me-262 STGB Chat

trickyrich

On 09/01/2018 at 3:47 AM, Arniec said:

Well I have got a Mistel version of the Me-262 from Dragon. Would that be accepted for this GB?!

Cheers,

yes, this goes into the second category I mentioned, it was definitely a planned/proposed version, though you have to be careful with the secondary aircraft. The only one actually listed for this version "Mistel 4" was the Ju-287 forward swept wing aircraft. The Me-262 on Me-262 version that is shown in a few "picture" and I think there are a couple of models of it is/was very much a pure paper plane. I haven't found any reference to that configuration other than said pictures and model. 

However if members in this GB would like to open up or are happy for the second category to include more of the "paper" Me-262's then I am fine with that. To be fair to those building an actual version I will have two galleries, one for real aircraft and one for Paper/Planned.

Please let me know if everyone is happy or not with this idea? I know most STGB's are for "real" aircraft only, but the Me-262 is one of those "special" aircraft which I think warrants allowing the planned and paper versions to be included, I'll leave this for the members to comment on.

For me I'm going right to the very ver beginning, I'll be building the Me-262 V1 (PC+UA) as fitted with the Jumo 210 engine only. It'll be the 1/48th resin one from Antares and resin of course!! :D

• Like 1

On 10/01/2018 at 05:19, trickyrich said:

To be fair to those building an actual version I will have two galleries, one for real aircraft and one for Paper/Planned.

I think that's an excellent compromise. :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

On 10 januari 2018 at 6:19 AM, trickyrich said:

yes, this goes into the second category I mentioned, it was definitely a planned/proposed version, though you have to be careful with the secondary aircraft. The only one actually listed for this version "Mistel 4" was the Ju-287 forward swept wing aircraft. The Me-262 on Me-262 version that is shown in a few "picture" and I think there are a couple of models of it is/was very much a pure paper plane. I haven't found any reference to that configuration other than said pictures and model. 

However if members in this GB would like to open up or are happy for the second category to include more of the "paper" Me-262's then I am fine with that. To be fair to those building an actual version I will have two galleries, one for real aircraft and one for Paper/Planned.

Please let me know if everyone is happy or not with this idea? I know most STGB's are for "real" aircraft only, but the Me-262 is one of those "special" aircraft which I think warrants allowing the planned and paper versions to be included, I'll leave this for the members to comment on.

For me I'm going right to the very ver beginning, I'll be building the Me-262 V1 (PC+UA) as fitted with the Jumo 210 engine only. It'll be the 1/48th resin one from Antares and resin of course!! :D

Well Rich, I have had a look arround in the Classic publications books of the mistel and the Me-262 (vol.2) and they both stated that the version with te Ju-287 was fictional. It appears that there were two me-262's were taken of the production line in december 1944 to be converted to the mistel version. The top model would have been the A2/U2 version with the bomberstation. The combination didn't fly before the end of the war. For the bomb 262 there were three different versions. all to do with the explosives. So this one was almost reality.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I would like to join in with this, please. I will come with a Trimaster kit that's been staring dolefully at me from the stash, for an awfully long time! Looks like it's moment has arrived!

ATB
Rick

• Like 3

On 13/01/2018 at 9:23 PM, Arniec said:

Well Rich, I have had a look arround in the Classic publications books of the mistel and the Me-262 (vol.2) and they both stated that the version with te Ju-287 was fictional. It appears that there were two me-262's were taken of the production line in december 1944 to be converted to the mistel version. The top model would have been the A2/U2 version with the bomberstation. The combination didn't fly before the end of the war. For the bomb 262 there were three different versions. all to do with the explosives. So this one was almost reality.

Cheers,

Well that's cleared that up then so this one is ok

IMG_3740

Whilst this one might not be ?

IMG_3741

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2018 at 7:23 AM, Arniec said:

Cheers,

Hi Arnold

thanks for that info, I knew someone would have more info....and of course when I did some more looking myself I found the same stuff as well. :wall: One thing I did find is that the info really does vary from book to book, a couple of the Junkers books I have plus a couple of "Project" ones make a lot of mention of the Me-262/Ju-287 config, but again all as a project.

I'm pleased to say I've finally managed to get the first 3 volumes in the Classic Pubs Me-262 series for a price that didn't require me to sell my first born!! I'm pleased with that....getting the books that is....first born is still for sale!

And to prove I'm a complete idiot I found a model of the 262 Bomb I had built tucked away in a box along with a A2/U2 with Bomberstation!! :doh:

Anyway these all fall nicely under the "Projects" category, so I'm looking forward to some interesting builds! 

On 1/15/2018 at 8:04 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Well that's cleared that up then so this one is ok

IMG_3740 

Whilst this one might not be ?

IMG_3741

cheers Pat

hmmm Pat...... the top one, well the bottom half is ok, the top half and Arnold mentioned should be the version with the Bomberstation in the nose. Plus as well those RATO's  pods under the top aircraft may not have been a good idea either, I can see the tail surfaces on the bomb lasting about 2 second once those pods were lit shortly followed there after by a rather large crater!!!! :jump_fire:

The second one is a probable and ok for the "Projects" section.

There are some nice profiles on this site, real and project/paper...

Me-262 profiles

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

this has just arrived for me in the mail.

IMG_0949-L.jpg

It looks to be very nice, only drama is there is a slight miss match in the moulding of the fuselage (between upper and lower sections of the mould), so there is a mismatch in the rear section of the fuselage. I will contact them to see if I can get a replacement. Wrse case I can remould/rebuild it, not a huge task, just a bit of a pain. 

I'll be building the early stage 1 version without the jets.

• Like 2

You'll have no problems with Antares he is a very nice guy indeed. I have that very kit but I don't think I'm up to doing it justice yet ;)

Pat, the RATO on the airframe wouldn't be needed. On the Arado 234 the rockets were on the trolley. If on the aircraft it would have shot off the trolley and, as Rich says, a rather large crater... 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Shame that kit's so chuffin' expensive, as I'd have loved one :crying:

mmm they're not the cheapest, but are nicely made.......least they're not as bad as the Fisher Model & Pattern stuff! I got my Sea Fury super cheap, I just wish I could find some of there other stuff just as cheap!!!!

10 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

You'll have no problems with Antares he is a very nice guy indeed. I have that very kit but I don't think I'm up to doing it justice yet ;)

Pat, the RATO on the airframe wouldn't be needed. On the Arado 234 the rockets were on the trolley. If on the aircraft it would have shot off the trolley and, as Rich says, a rather large crater... 

just give it a go, other than the fault with mine (I have his 1/72nd Ju-488 and it's perfect, same with the swept wing set for the Arado Ar-234) they are lovely models, and they build up nicely. You should do the Stage 2 version! They'd look nice together.

1 minute ago, trickyrich said:

just give it a go, other than the fault with mine (I have his 1/72nd Ju-488 and it's perfect, same with the swept wing set for the Arado Ar-234) they are lovely models, and they build up nicely. You should do the Stage 2 version! They'd look nice together.

Maybe I will. I have got another cunning plan though.

• Haha 1

IMG_0951-L.jpg

as you can see there's a difference between the upper and lower section of the fuselage. From the basic measurements I've done, the top section of the mould looks to have spread slightly in the casting process. I'm going to e-mail him to see if I can get a replacement. Otherwise I'll recast it and make two copies, that way I can cut them up and make a perfect one.

2 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Maybe I will. I have got another cunning plan though.

I like cunning plans.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

IMG_0951-L.jpg

as you can see there's a difference between the upper and lower section of the fuselage. From the basic measurements I've done, the top section of the mould looks to have spread slightly in the casting process. I'm going to e-mail him to see if I can get a replacement. Otherwise I'll recast it and make two copies, that way I can cut them up and make a perfect one.

Maybe I'm missing a point somewhere (not too skilled at resin kits tbh) but wouldn't the old "soak it in hot water" resin-parts-correction trick work here?

8 hours ago, Spad said:

Maybe I'm missing a point somewhere (not too skilled at resin kits tbh) but wouldn't the old "soak it in hot water" resin-parts-correction trick work here?

hmm in this case no.

The hot water trick is for warped bits, when carefully heat they usually return to their original shape. I this case however I think when the two parts of the mould were placed together, the top section sort of splayed out a fraction at the tail section and allowed the bottom one to slide in a bit? They may have been clamped together as well. The fuselage is a solid piece and the moulds will be made from silicon.

• 1 month later...

mmm I know you've talked about it, now you have to build it!!  :D

It's not quite the Omega (last, I'm building the first) of the Me-262 family but close!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arniec said:

I found this in my stash today:D

IMG_4295

Now I think you know what I want to build.:whistle:

Cheers,

That's looks amazing

Do you have to provide 2 of your own 1/48 me262's or are they included ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

That's looks amazing

Do you have to provide 2 of your own 1/48 me262's or are they included ?

cheers Pat

You have to provide two of your own me-262's. That is the down side, but the plus is that the conversion is totally correct apose the dragon kit. I think I will combine them. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well I think it's about time to start rattling the cages as this one is getting very close to starting....as in next week!!! :frantic:

It seems like ages since I first proposed this build, (near 2 years ago actually!) but she's finally here...well almost.

As mentioned in earlier post, I will be allowing some of the "Planned" versions of this aircraft into the build. If you want to go this way then please try and keep them out of the pure fantasy Luft46 stuff. There were lots of versions very near ready for testing or into the detailing drawing stages prior to the end of the war so there are lots of choices, but just check first.

If all goes well and Enzo can sort it out there will be 2 galleries for the builds, one for the aircraft that actually flew and one for the rest. If not then they'll all go into the 1 gallery and I'll breakup the voting. This will be a little bit of a first for an STGB to have some WhatIfs in the build but we'll see how it goes. If it manages to bring more interest into the STGB(s) then that'll be great. 

• Like 2