Cam Ranh AFB, Vietnam, 1968. McDD F-4C Phantom II SANDY BAY-BEE, 1/72 kitbash

• 11 months later...

Hi Giorgio,

I went through this model's WIP and let me say it's really stunning!

Starting from the purpose for this build, going on with Gene's  intervention to tell this aircraft story, you did a fantastic job putting together different parts from the two models you started from.

Impressive result!!!:yes:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello Mr G !

This one has passed under my radar !!

Great rendition of my second fav aircraft !!

Note; She also has bent wings after all !!

Congrats my friend !!

Sincerely

CC

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 4:52 AM, corsaircorp said:

This one has passed under my radar !!

My radar keeps coming back to this build so I can appreciate it over, and over ... . Pretty remarkable what Giorgio did artistically as well as technically.

I'm really looking forward to his next Phantom build ... which I think will be the new FineMolds 1/72 kit.  :thumbsup:

Gene K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 31/10/2020 at 15:08, Gene K said:

which I think will be the new FineMolds 1/72 kit. 

I've pre-ordered it, let's see if I receive it before I finish my current build (very likely so :D ) 

Ciao

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What the others have said just about covers it, but I will add this is the most realistically painted and weathered F-4 I have seen in a long time! The Monogram Rhinos were light years ahead of their competition when it came to detailing, and even though it has raised panel lines, they are probably the most accurate of any F-4C/D kit out there! You have every right to be proud of this build, and what a great tribute model! ( I assume the bang seats have the safety pins secured in the little pouch on the headbox?) :like:

Mike 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Another Giorgio Phantom on the way? Yes!

12 hours ago, basket said:

I'll take a seat too . 

Don't get too excited, guys - I still have to finish my Stuka, and hope HLJ is able to fulfill my pre-order... (but I have a B plan, just in case :winkgrin: )

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

What the others have said just about covers it, but I will add this is the most realistically painted and weathered F-4 I have seen in a long time! The Monogram Rhinos were light years ahead of their competition when it came to detailing, and even though it has raised panel lines, they are probably the most accurate of any F-4C/D kit out there! You have every right to be proud of this build, and what a great tribute model! ( I assume the bang seats have the safety pins secured in the little pouch on the headbox?) :like:

Mike 

Thanks Mike, much appreciated! :thumbsup: And yes, the safety pins are safely stored in the red pouch :D (the ones of the GIB, at least :winkgrin: )

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WOW simply wow. Sorry I missed this one from the beginning. I don't know how many time I've loaded that configuration and other loads with the SUU-23 on the F-4D  Temporary Duty to Udorn Thailand from July to November 1972. Was assigned to the 405th MMS 405th TFW 523rd TFS Clark AFB from June 1972 to September 1973. Other ordance carried with the SUU-23 was MK-20 Rockeye, MK-82 Low Drag, MK-84 2000lbs, LGB or GBU-10 as in our world today. and M-117 750lbs. There was a couple of times our phantoms flew with 4 AIM-7E and 4 AIM-9 missiles.

Again WOW

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, f111guru said:

WOW simply wow. Sorry I missed this one from the beginning. I don't know how many time I've loaded that configuration and other loads with the SUU-23 on the F-4D  Temporary Duty to Udorn Thailand from July to November 1972. Was assigned to the 405th MMS 405th TFW 523rd TFS Clark AFB from June 1972 to September 1973. Other ordance carried with the SUU-23 was MK-20 Rockeye, MK-82 Low Drag, MK-84 2000lbs, LGB or GBU-10 as in our world today. and M-117 750lbs. There was a couple of times our phantoms flew with 4 AIM-7E and 4 AIM-9 missiles.

Again WOW

Ron VanDerwarker

Hi Ron !

Since you loaded that configuration a countless number of time , I was wondering if you remember if that famous SUU-23 ( or maybe SUU-16 ) had an " open " compartment located as follows ( green lines ) .

Rgds

http://16071101302617732314366769.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, basket said:

Hi Ron !

Since you loaded that configuration a countless number of time , I was wondering if you remember if that famous SUU-23 ( or maybe SUU-16 ) had an " open " compartment located as follows ( green lines ) .

Rgds

http://16071101302617732314366769.jpg

The only opening I recall was the 20mm loading slot back about where the bend is on your arrow. It was set near vertical for the ammo. Found this in my D phantom folder. The other things you may be thinking of are vents for venting gas and smoke. Found on the web

page23-1059-full

Unit serial number is in white and the remainder are in black red and tail. Also remember that during my time with the F-4 the gun pod had a shortened rear covering to install on stations 2 and 8 or inboard pylons. I went from the F-4 to B-52's the FB-111's and the F-4/F-111 RAF Lakenheath then Cannon AFB. Hope this clears things up and sorry @giemmefor hijacking your beautiful F-4C build.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

A huge amount of work went into that build. It shows.

BM.

Thans BM, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

13 hours ago, f111guru said:

Again WOW

Ron VanDerwarker

Cheers Ron, thank you :thumbsup: Always great to hear from first hand experience - I might be bothering you for my next Phantom build :winkgrin: 

12 hours ago, basket said:

@giemme
 sorry mate but I had to ask ! 😉

No problem at all, basket :thumbsup:  Mi casa es su casa :D 

Ciao

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Cheers Ron, thank you :thumbsup: Always great to hear from first hand experience - I might be bothering you for my next Phantom build :winkgrin: 

Not a problem. Only problem with retirement. You can take away the job but not the memories. Good, bad and some extremely ugly.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Clicked on your signature link by accident, and I'm glad I did! Absolutely super modelling.

Regards,

Adrian

A happy accident,  then!  :D

Glad you like it, Adrian :thumbsup:

Ciao 

• Thanks 1