The horror!

Angus Tura

Dear All,

I have three models painted with Mr.Hobby (aqueous) acrylics and now ready for a top, matt coat.

I have previously had a disaster with tamiya gloss clear over Mr.Hobby where the varnish semi-dissolved the paint underneath which went splotchy as a result. So, I'm a bit paralysed.

I thought I would try Humbrol acrylic spray-can matt over the Mr.Hobby. Does any one have experience of that? Is there something safer or better?

TIA

Alan

The humbrol rattle cans have a bad reputation for going frosty so you may want to read about on that before you decide.

I would recommend either Vallejo Acrylic Matt varnish or the Windsor and Newton Matt varnish. I have used both of these over various paints, including the aqueous Mr Hobby paints

I've experienced many disasters with trying to get a flat coat. Humbrol enamel varnish goes frosty & leaves the model looking just plain dusty. I tried a can of their acrylic aerosol but this just "crazes" the enamel beneath. Whether it Works properly over acrylic paint I can't say.

I spray Winsor & Newton matt thinned with Mr.color thinner (self levelling or normal) and found it works great. I've not had any odd reactions yet with all sorts of paints thinned with the same thinners below this matt layer.

Thanks again.

I got some mig airbrush-ready stuff and some tamiya matt in a jar (i.e. not a spray) which is new to me. I usually use tamiya thinners with the Gunze aqueous. So, hopefully that won't be too "hot". I'll let you know how I get on,

Alan

Late to the party (as usual), but a shout for my fave flat varnish: Revell Acrylic. But use only Revell Aqua Color thinner -I did try Mr Levelling thinner, and what happened while mixing in the airbrush cup was just too weird! Otherwise, this stuff ignores the paint job, sprays well, brushes OK and is very...flat.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Angus

I've started using Winsor and Newton matt and gloss varnishes, and haven't looked back since. They are the best I have ever used, and that's quite a few.

Best Wishes,

Will.

• 3 years later...
On 28/6/2016 at 5:08, IanF said:

I regularly use AK Interactive ultra matte varnish over Mr Hobby, with outstanding results.

Hope this helps!

Ian

Can I used AK gloss and matte over tamiya? Thanks

Edited by Papas29

I have been using the Alclad stuff, really like it.I use their Aqua-Gloss which is an acrylic, and their Klear Kote Flat which is a Lacquer base.Both worked fine over Tamiya,and Vallejo for me.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Papas29 said:

Can I used AK gloss and matte over tamiya? Thanks

I've not used their gloss, but have used the matte over Tamiya acrylics with no ill effects. 

Ian