Revell 1/32 MBB BK117 Military

Slater

A recent EBay acquisition. This particular helicopter (or demonstrator, anyway) was armed with HOT missiles, an underbelly .50 caliber machine gun, mast mounted sight, and some form of countermeasures was also fitted. The decals represent machines from Germany and Niger.

Did this variant ever go into service with this particular weapons/equipment fit?

HPIM1660_zpssgfk2s0m.jpg

• Like 1

I'm quite certain none were bought for any service of the Bundeswehr, as the PAH.1 was still rather fresh then, and about to be supplanted by the dedicated PAH.2 Tiger. No idea about Niger, but as this was no Eurocopter project then yet, I guess any export would have had to put up with the relatively strict German export rules that allow arms sales only to friendly dictatorships countries. :angel:

A recent EBay acquisition. This particular helicopter (or demonstrator, anyway) was armed with HOT missiles, an underbelly .50 caliber machine gun, mast mounted sight, and some form of countermeasures was also fitted. The decals represent machines from Germany and Niger.

Did this variant ever go into service with this particular weapons/equipment fit?

No only a demonstrator was built in 1986. That's what Revell's kit represents.

BK117-A3M-01.jpg

BK117-A3M-02.jpg

I guess any export would have had to put up with the relatively strict German export rules that allow arms sales only to friendly dictatorships countries. :angel:

:rofl:

Saddams_picnic.jpg

Picnic; bonus ASH-3D/TS. B)

• Like 3

Okay that is cool. Love that helicopter and I have even done some commission work for MBB but it was on their fibreglass and resin display models. Nice but not for me.

I had completely forgotten that Revell issued this and neat to see a military scheme. Is that a real shot or fake (photoshopped) for the Iraqi scheme? Would certainly like to do something military.

Cheers

Chris

Is that a real shot or fake (photoshopped) for the Iraqi scheme? Would certainly like to do something military.

The photo was posted in an Arab facebook page some years back and is genuine.

Iraq did operate the BK-117 and apparently Saddam used it as a transport.

I even had a video of him disembarking from one while visiting Iraqi troops but it was lost in a HD crash. :(

One in use as a SAR machine.

Iraq_BK-117_SAR.jpg

And a well known photo showing it in flight.

Iraq_BK-117.jpg

• Like 1