Ebbro Lotus 88 1/20

I've started this new kit of a fascinating but short-lived car from my favourite F1 team. It's the first Ebbro kit I've tried and so far it looks good. I went for the Essex livery as I like the blue, although I may end up with the Courage black and chrome 88B too if this build goes well. The kit comes with both plain blue plastic for the chrome side panels and chrome decals, plus a chromed plastic set, giving several options on these parts. Following a thread on the F1M website I'm going for the blue panels and adding chrome decals.

I'm hoping that someone will come out with a carbon decal set as I still haven't found a sheet of carbon decals that exactly match the carbon used on the tub. I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket parts for these two cars in the near future, with Acu.Stion announcing lots of detail parts already.

I went with Tamiya TS-50 for the Essex blue and it's a lovely colour (I don't know how accurate it is but it does look nice!)

Here's a link to the kit and Hobby Search's usual very helpful photos of the kit and instructions:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10324889

I took advantage of a sunny winter's day to put a coat of Mica Blue on the upper body cowl. That's about all I've done so far!

27335271683_dc166c1615_z.jpg

That's it for now. I also need to finish my Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR so progress may be slow. It's winter here in Australia and my spray booth is in the shed so I need warm days for spraying and the Mac needs a gloss coat.

26891281926_495e57922a_z.jpg

I plan to wait for a decent carbon decal set before finishing the tub on the Lotus, so let's hope someone brings one out soon!

Cheers,

Kev.

Edited by injidup

This lotus is on my radar for a future purchase aswell as the 88b. The blue is very nice also, with the chrome sides how do the decals look aare they like the mirror stickers in road car kits are are they full on waterside decals? Have you considered using bmf foil to do the sides? As for decals I don't think you will have to wait long as the ones for the ebbro mp4/30 came out pretty soon after release.

Shaun

Ps. The mclaren looks to notch

I'm looking forward to seeing this build, I've just had mine delivered so I will be taking notes.

The problem with the carbon fibre on the tub is that it was a number of different weaves, so just using one type may look a little odd.

This kevlar looks close: clicky

Stuart

Shaun,

The decals for the side panels are plain chrome waterslide decals over which the Essex decals go. Never seen anything like them before. I will try to get a photo posted up later today. I have Alclad chrome which would also be an option. Nice of Ebbro to give us the different options. The McLaren was my first Aoshima kit and I am really impressed with it.

Stu,

That kevlar decal does look close (thanks) and I can see that different types of carbon fibre were used, which is why I am hoping that someone brings out a decal sheet for this car! Having done the McLaren interior in cf decals all cut from a single sheet, I'm happy to use something more convenient this time!

Here's a couple of posts from F1M of Mobiusone's build (I think he's on here too)

http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26812(WIP) Check out page 6 for the decals.

http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26924(RFI)

Some photo links

https://au.pinterest.com/nelsonsantosdia/lotus-88/

There's a lovely hi-res photo of the chassis on the Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_88

Edited by injidup

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress on the 88. I forgot to add the two small side pieces to the nose so they've been added and filled, and the upper body has been re-primered. I sprayed the floor semi-gloss black and put some foil on the area under the exhaust (soft butter tub foil).

I also made a start on the DFV engine. Some of the parts are lovely crisp mouldings, but some look a little soft.

Still waiting for some carbon decals to be released for this kit, and hopefully some photo etch parts, which may slow the build a bit.

Just one photo for today.

28109912602_50883d5f0b_c.jpg

Oops. In my haste to get this moving I notice that I didn't fill the ejector pin marks (Thanks Harfoot for pointing this out in your FXX - K build!). Hopefully they won't be visible once the body is fitted.

Edited by injidup

Some progress today when I really should have been out driving my real Lotus.

I sprayed the top and bottom panels of the aerodynamic chases, and also the side panels. I went for the blue plastic side panels, sprayed them and will use the chrome decals.

The decals I applied to the upper body are lovely. I've never used chrome decals before and I think they look fabulous. iPhone pics so focus is not great close up.

28253460482_e690a6bfb7_c.jpg

28356971105_fceca94305_c.jpg

I also had a go at plug leads, using some inner wire from either a DVI cable or an HDMI cable (Can't remember and I have chopped the plugs off so have no reference any more).

28356969765_ccd5ed79a4_c.jpg
Next job will be fuel lines (more HDMI cable) and the chrome decals on the side panels.

Great build so far, looking really good.

This has always been a car that has niggled me, not for any bad reasons, I don't know if it's the livery (the blue Essex in the middle of years of the black JPS) or the inovitive design. I went to a Lotus festival in Snetterton a number of years ago and the two cars that stuck out was the 88 and 56b, typical Chapman I suppose, always on the edge.

Can't wait to see more of this build.

Regards

John

I got the chrome decals applied on one side panel but the result is a teeny bit wrinkly. I hope that this will settle down overnight. I also added the Essex and other decals.

Anyone know what the other (Monaco?) flag is? is it for Essex petroleum?

27745014183_90d8d8dcd7_c.jpg

The side panels are painted TS50 mica blue then the chrome decals are applied. I left the chromed plastic finish on the radiator vents.

Edited by injidup

I see that some parts are coming on to the market for this kit.

Acu.Stion has wheels, intake trumpets and mesh and some shock absorbers (which look amazing). Hopefully S27 or Tabu will bring out some carbon decals soon.

Looking great I have to say the chrome on blue look is really growing on me.

On hlj.com there are lots of parts for this but sadly for you no decals at this point, one thing I would suggest us to check acustions website as they push out carbon for a lot of f1 cars but it's not always the most realistic style or its all in the same weave pattern

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

Just pre-ordered the Studio 27 carbon decals. Should be available some time this month (August).

This kit is on hold until they arrive. In the mean time I'm finishing off the McLaren F1 GTR (See WIP thread) and Honda RC166. Once they are done I may start on the Lancia 037.

• 1 month later...

Not a complete success though :-( 

I'm sure it's been a lot of work, Mike, (thanks for the effort) but things like adding photos to posts has become harder and impossible on a tablet - I had to crack out the laptop to get photos in my other post. Note: I also upgraded to iOS 10 on my iPad, which may be an issue, but copying a photo link from Photobucket did not translate the [ and ] characters properly. Can we get the "Photo" button back on the header of the reply box, rather than "Insert other media"?