Two Blades are better than one

Wow, this looks like a really great idea. Airborne dio's are tricky things to do so I wish you luck with this one. Also I have the Revell B-17 in the stash and look forward to seeing it build up, cheers Greg

• Like 1

Wow, this looks like a really great idea. Airborne dio's are tricky things to do so I wish you luck with this one. Also I have the Revell B-17 in the stash and look forward to seeing it build up, cheers Greg

Thanks Greg but my build may not be much help as i will still have most of the B-17 in my stash, even after its finished ! (doesnt make much sence but thats clue 2 ) :shutup:

Thanks also to Stix for hosting this Vignette G/B

Alistair

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 3

Thanks Greg but my build may not be much help as i will still have most of the B-17 in my stash, even after its finished ! (doesnt make much sence but thats clue 2 ) :shutup:

Thanks also to Stix for hosting this Vignette G/B

Alistair

Intriguing!!! :popcorn::hmmm:

• Like 1

Went back over previous posts and realize i had already given away my idea

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975282-vignette-group-build-chat/?p=2197652

As the Brengun box comes with two kits im going to build it as a simultaneous attack by two Zeppelin Rammers resulting in the complete severing of the B-17 tail just behind the waist gun windows .

Hope this quick sketch explains

P1010820.jpg

The tail may fall the other way but thats to be decided .

• Like 3

Thanks Carius ,just hope i can pull it off as lots of potential problems that i have to find solutions for .

well iv made a start and constructed my base out of some 5mm acrylic sheet .

P1010821.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Stix and Cliff ,

The b-17 arrived yesterday so my first opportunity to see actually what and how much i can use . mainly a Luftwaffe builder so the b-17 is way out of my comfort zone .

My original plan was to have the cut tail end of the waist gunners windows , however now that i see that the kit is smaller than i had imagined i may cut just behind the ball turret . this makes me feel better as its not a cheap kit to prune so heavily

A----- new plan for cut

B-----original plan

P1010825.jpg

P1010827%202.jpg

P1010826%202.jpg

I chose the revell kit as it looked to have the best interior detail in the rear area of the fuselage and im not disappointed . may well scratch some more interior detail (aircraft entrails )

• Like 4

I like the idea of the interior detail. This just gets better and better! :thumbsup::popcorn:

hanks Stix .

the hardest interior detail to create that i'v found so far is the crew .I need to find two waist gunners , the ball turret and the tail gunners . for me ,the crew are absolutely essential . I have done an initial google search with little joy but will have a better search today .

Any way i'v gone and done it .... and as Cat Stevens said " The first cut is the deepest"

first chain drilled along outside of line A

P1010835.jpg

P1010829%202.jpg

P1010830.jpg

A pic of the ist dummy run of parts taped together to see how to best fill / use the space

P1010833.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Alistair. Good to know there's been more progress but some of your pictures seem to have broken links. I can only see one of the four (the third one) in your last post.

Good luck with finding some suitable figures.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

There is this set from Legend.

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-for-1:72-scale-legend-productions-lfla7202

But if you are going to have them reacting to the crash probably need some a bit more animated.

Thanks philip for the link . Wow that is a nice set of rein figures . They will work out rather expensive when postge is added . There seems to be no uk stockest and the only ones for sale are in either Australia or U.S. But i may go for them as perfect . Their exprsions can be alterd to one of terror by dangling thm over a bowl of very hot water ;)

Hi Alistair. Good to know there's been more progress but some of your pictures seem to have broken links. I can only see one of the four (the third one) in your last post.

Good luck with finding some suitable figures.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the info Stix on broken links . Is the reason i can see them due to them being on my photo bucket ?

The Legend productions are worth looking at for their quality alone , so men may be sorted

• Like 1

Impressive work so far, Alistair. But it hurts, seeing such a nice kit being butchered this way... :analintruder:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Impressive work so far, Alistair. But it hurts, seeing such a nice kit being butchered this way... :analintruder:

Cheers

Jaime

Jaime , but this is war and there will be losses . Seriously it did hurt to do this and i did think twice about it as not sure it will work but what the hell it given me some brain exercise . I had originally thought about doing the project in 1/48 as i have the planet models 1/48 resin rammer in the stash and it possible to pick up the revell B-17 in 1/48 for about the same price as the newer tool 1/72 . This would have enabled lots more detail to be added but i wasnt sure of the size and felt that even if it fitted it would have been cramped .

Today i have made good progress with one of the ideas i had for attaching the tail to the perspex . originally i was going to use acrylic rod supporting the tail from the base but i have used a thin steel rod ( an old worn airbrush needle ) which passes right through the tail and is very stiff and hardly noticeable .

P1010836.jpg

To get the needle to fit i had to make a channel through the tail parts . will only have a little metal showing at the end ,

P1010837.jpg

P1010837.jpg[/url]

i will use a mix of talk and supper glue to patch up

P1010839%202.jpg

P1010840.jpg

P1010841.jpg

I have changed the position of tail from original plan to have the break facing down as i feel this is more pleasing to the eye and more realistic although its more difficult to see in the fuselage . it does present one new secret opportunity :ninja:

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 5

I agree: the airbrush needle seems very appropriate and should provide good support.

The broken tail is looking impressive already :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1