Revell 1:72 Albatross DIII OTB

My third foray back into model planes continues with WW1 fighters after my Revell 1:72 Sopwith Camel and Fokker D VII (posted on RFI) I have to say that the colours of these aircraft are really striking and make me want to build many more.

Here is my Albatross D III as flown by Werner Voss, Jasta 2 Boelcke, Juni 1917.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. :-)

IMG_4202_zpsxi6wuk6z.jpg

IMG_4205_zpszjdy76rk.jpg

IMG_4208_zps5u5dtdoj.jpg

IMG_4210_zps2gurdatk.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_4311_zpsowf9um23.jpg

I mixed up this one which I am happy with but more happy with my homemade, no cost Airbrush cleaning station.

IMG_4312_zpslfyc1coz.jpg

IMG_4313_zpsczd0tl5v.jpg

IMG_4314_zps3kvug8vw.jpg

IMG_4316_zpscwt8ve0j.jpg

Still trying to get used to airbrushing lark. not looking great but ive adjusted the pressure and thinned the paint some more which seems a bit better.

IMG_4318_zpsgagqyoyw.jpg

• Like 1

Great work, you are whizzing through this one.

• Like 1

Great work, you are whizzing through this one.

Thanks pal. I nearly wet myself when I saw that 825 Liked this, I couldn't believe how popular these little planes are lol. Still getting used to this site.

:bouncy:

Very nice! You're correct about the Albatroses having some amazing paint schemes. I don't normally build Great War aircraft, but I might be tempted by one of those colourful schemes - time to get out my old Profile book and look at the Albatros section. Does anyone have any idea what the best Albatros model in 1/72nd scale is (D.III and/or D.V)?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi, very good progress!

I've been eyeing this kit for a while. What are your impressions so far? Any particular good or bad points?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Very nice! You're correct about the Albatroses having some amazing paint schemes. I don't normally build Great War aircraft, but I might be tempted by one of those colourful schemes - time to get out my old Profile book and look at the Albatros section. Does anyone have any idea what the best Albatros model in 1/72nd scale is (D.III and/or D.V)?

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I have Eduard's 1/72 dual combo Albatross D.V in my stash and it looks really good. There are some striking schemes in the box and you can build two.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi, very good progress!

I've been eyeing this kit for a while. What are your impressions so far? Any particular good or bad points?

Cheers

Jaime

Many thanks mate. it is a pretty good kit for the scale and age of the moulding. Goes together quite nicely for a £3.25 kit lol. Spandaus are not that great and although I am wanting to do all these little WW1 fighters, straight out of the box, details like this would tempt me to look for some better ones. I will continue to do them all from the box though as I want to improve and see what I can make for a very low investment.

I am getting tempted to start on some 1:32 scale ones now though having looked through the forums. I do feel that these will make a very colourful air combat scene when hung from my little boys bedroom ceiling. I have gone out and bought all that I can find in this series lol. :-)

• Like 2

Thanks, Stonenkey. I've finished Revell's Fokker Dr. I recently and I though it was a very nice kit, with a lot of detail. A have a few Eduard boxings of WWI aircraft and they look very good, but was tempted to try a few Revell ones, as they are so cheap.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

The decals look good on the Albatros, Stonekey! As always, they really bring a kit to life. Thank you for the information on the Albatros kits, Jaime - I just may have to look at those Eduard examples, as it's not like I don't have enough kits in the queue ahead of it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

There's an Airwaves PE set that helps with the guns and cable vanes. The cockpit is easy to improve too - if you leave the pilot out its very visible (unlike most RFC where its under the wing). The Revell decals are great to use - not like the Roden beasties. And it looks like you got the fuselage crosses on right - I instinctively put the small one on the tail, then varnished before I noticed. The Albatross is very easy to rig too, good for beginners.

• Like 1

Both little planes look terrific. Revell's decals have always been very good in my experience.

Cheers

Jaime

Many thanks Jamie. I have to say that I am quickly getting hooked to this modelling lark and have already started on a Fokker E.III lol

• Like 1