1/144 Air Zimbabwe A320

Another stunning build, and excellent landing dio, love the way you achieved the blurred base

Thanks Graeme. The runway section is actually a screen print of a section Harare's runway taken from Google Earth. I scaled it up in Photoshop and then ran it through the blur motion tool before printing it onto matt photo paper.

mike

I'm liking the thought process Chris but I've got to head further south on my tour of Africa (for Airliner Group Build III), before making my way back up north via the West Coast.

Never fear, I'm hoping to return "cheatline city" soon with one of the best ever (IMHO....), so stay tuned !

Best Regards

mike

Well I hope thats not an excuse to avoid the wavy masking on Blue Nile. :tease:

As for a return to "cheatline city" It must be orange and blue or a rather nice two-tone green then.

Chris.

• Like 1

Wow, I thought those first 2 pictures were real!
Another beauty Mike, especially impressive that you made the decals. I just looked again, those pictures are stunningly realistic!
I'm going to have to get a Zvezda 320 out of the stash next, you've got me inspired with this one.

I'll even forgive the absence of a cheatline!

Better be orange and blue - just saying.

Mmmm yes. We must be thinking along the same lines Mike & Mike. Orange tail fin due to be sprayed this afternoon in the Viking workshop!

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Well I hope thats not an excuse to avoid the wavy masking on Blue Nile. :tease:

As for a return to "cheatline city" It must be orange and blue or a rather nice two-tone green then.

Chris.

Not an excuse Chris. I arranged to pick up the decals from 26decals but I only have one Authentic Airliners 707 and too many colour schemes to choose from !

Better be orange and blue - just saying.

Orange and blue, blue and silver, and two tone green are definitely on the cards but I may have to slot a red and orange somewhere in between.

Wow, I thought those first 2 pictures were real!

Another beauty Mike, especially impressive that you made the decals. I just looked again, those pictures are stunningly realistic!

I'm going to have to get a Zvezda 320 out of the stash next, you've got me inspired with this one.

I'll even forgive the absence of a cheatline!

Mmmm yes. We must be thinking along the same lines Mike & Mike. Orange tail fin due to be sprayed this afternoon in the Viking workshop!

Cheers

John

Thanks for the compliments John - much appreciated.

Don't suppose you'd be willing to let us in on what's getting an orange tail this afternoon ?

The anticipation is distracting me from the day-job ! :Tasty:

Don't suppose you'd be willing to let us in on what's getting an orange tail this afternoon ?

Heres a clue Mike :winkgrin: , I've just done the orange tail;

saa6_zpsn4bmroam.jpg

Can you guess what is is yet?

(Draw decal supply some extra blue an orange for 'patching', a nice touch. You might spot that I've removed a bot of the orange from the decal sheet. I did it so I could apply it to a bit of white painted plasticard. I then used this to mix a batch of orange to match as closely as I could. Decal ink colours when still on the paper are not often the same when applied to the model, especially a white one. The mix I got to match my 'sample' was Tamiya X6 orange with a very small amount of Tamiya XF66 Light grey. Proof will be when I get those cheatlines on!)

• Like 4

My goodness, what a thing of beauty! Have never seen the Draw Decal sheet for this before, and notice both flags are included as an option. One of them will compliment the livery so much more closely than the other. It's those small details . . . .

P1_zpsneznx2es.jpg

• Like 1

Heres a clue Mike :winkgrin: , I've just done the orange tail;

saa6_zpsn4bmroam.jpg

Can you guess what is is yet?

Thanks John. You've pretty much nailed it before you've even applied the decals !

I'm pleased to report that I have those decals in stock and they weren't the ones I was going to use for the Group Build. Phew !

Here's my rendition of the SAA 737 in an earlier scheme from a few years ago :

saaportfront.jpg

BOAC VC10...?? :speak_cool::whistle::D

Dear me....... :doh:

• Like 2

Which decals are those Mike? I love the delivery scheme with it's polished metal fuselage underside. You've made a real beauty there, is it Alclad?

Cheers

John

Which decals are those Mike? I love the delivery scheme with it's polished metal fuselage underside. You've made a real beauty there, is it Alclad?

Cheers

John

Thanks John.

Decals are by F-dcal : South African Airways and I did use Alclad.

The SAA 727 was the first jet I ever flew on but I've never got around to making it.....yet. (that's not a clue !)

Thanks for the comments.

As for defying gravity, no smoke and mirrors (or the use of opposing poles on hidden magnets). Just a few clicks on Photoshop.

Here's a before and after shot :

UMA320before.jpgUMA320after.jpg

If only building them was as easy as rubbing them out !

What a simple idea to get a great photo!

• Like 1

Mike, that SAA 737 is, well, perfect. I have built that twice, and while my second attempt was way better than my first, I still had bits and pieces of the white decal paper backing showing through. ( same with the 727 and 707 ) Besides witchcraft, how on earth do you manage this stuff? This is more than mere talent I suspect.

Hmmm, I've been thinking about this build. Something seems to be missing. Trying to put my finger on it - Oh yes, the cheat line! It is actually done so well, it gets away with it though.

To make up for building a non cheat line airliner however, I'm going to have to insist you add a "with something else" photo to this thread. Don't throw too many traditions out all at once.

....Guilt got the better of me....

UMA320wse.jpg

Mike, that SAA 737 is, well, perfect. I have built that twice, and while my second attempt was way better than my first, I still had bits and pieces of the white decal paper backing showing through. ( same with the 727 and 707 ) Besides witchcraft, how on earth do you manage this stuff? This is more than mere talent I suspect.

You're too kind MikeW. Put it down to too many years in a laboratory and a very twisted mind. <_<

• Like 2