F-4J(UK) Phantom

I've been absent from the modelling bench for some months now but feel the urge to return. This project is one which I have been planning to do for a number years but felt somewhat intimidated by the scale, having only made one other in 1/32nd - a Hunter T.8M. I gain my inspiration, like many, from what I have witnessed in the past and from photographs. This was certainly the case with this project, however the lack of important information, namely the aircraft serial number, stalled the project until now.

001_zpsa93c6f45.jpg

Cross referencing with another photograph identified the aircraft as ZE355, tail code 'S' - The yaw string appears to held in place with with what looks like a piece of aluminium adhesive foil. This was evident in another, albeit grainy, photograph -

712fe96a-b86d-41f2-afa3-2e5c861a27cb_zps

Now on with the model...

F-4J%20UK%20%204_zps7vxqnq4r.jpg

The kit cockpit was used and from which further details were added using plastic card and wire.

F-4J%20UK%20%203_zpsr6klgvs3.jpg

The control column was modified using plastic card - the one on the left is found in earlier F-4s.

F-4J%20UK%20%202_zps1hfyxc7d.jpg

I'm not a great fan of the etched metal style of instrument panels (IP) a little too one dimensional. So. both instrument panel gauges were drilled out. The panels were also thinned down so that the Eduard instruments could be added to the rear of each IP. The pilots radar scope was re-positioned - see photo.

F-4J%20UK%20%205_zpscr9r2bdm.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%206_zps545axy2o.jpg

The seats came from Aires - Martin Baker Mk.H7 (US Navy). The seats lacked the Emergency Oxygen bottle pressure gauge found in the bottom seat cushion. This was easily dealt with using a drill. I never seem to get on with the etched straps provided so it was decided to use aluminium foil. Below is a series of photos showing the various stages of detailing.

F-4J%20UK%20%2012_zpsgfzkvtsa.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2013_zpsbp1lajkb.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2014_zpshuizcfys.jpg

Eduard provided some of the cockpit detail below, as well as plastic card and rod.

F-4J%20UK%20%201_zpst2sguiyw.jpg

Highlighted in pencil, the front cockpit flooding door, a left over from the types carrier days, was added. Incidentally, the rear cockpit flooding door, was provided by Tamiya.

F-4J%20UK%20%209_zpsrsesoxdz.jpg

Again, highlighted in pencil. are the two chaff compartment door that were also added using a razor saw. The top of the fuselage is also missing a couple of panel lines - these were added.

F-4J%20UK%20%208_zps8kdqsl5r.jpg

Back to the seats...

Andrew

Edited by TEZ
  • Like 16

• 1 month later...

A little more progress...

In order to bring out all that surface detail all the panel lines and rivets were gone over with a pin and vice and micro drill.

F-4J%20UK%20%2018_zpsvq7m0qyi.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2020_zpss94pistw.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2019_zpsmiqswqiw.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2017_zpsosuyuupv.jpg

The original plan was to cover the intakes with FOD guards but having purchased a set of GT resins seamless intakes the following mods were carried out...

F-4J%20UK%20%2022_zps3aiqwqn7.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2021_zpscrvmgt4i.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2023_zpsds6suuw0.jpg

The aircraft will be in 'Bravo' fit - centre-line tank only (as far as drop tanks are concerned). The kit tank was missing a couple of panels so these were added.

F-4J%20UK%20%2026_zps5lntlb1b.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2024_zpsvdshfe41.jpg

• Like 6

Hello,Andrew - I would love to build the 'Phantom' in this scale and look forward to following your progress with her.You've chosen a phine subject!! ;) All the best,Paul.

Great work Andrew looking forward to seeing this progress, Think HK are doing a large scale British Phantom sometime next year be interesting to see.

Guy

Magnificent Job Andrew.A few happy days i spent watching the Phantoms at Wattisham.When the js retired i was at Duxford when one flew in for preservation.I got to climb the backseaters ladder and have a peek around.

Watching with much interest.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Slow progress but here's the latest -

The seats aren't finished but they're getting there.

1_zpssmypgmo0.jpg

Initial painting of the cockpit side walls -

3_zpsdsqszh0y.jpg

Details still to be added but it's starting to look like an F-4 cockpit.

2_zpsvg9bn9jm.jpg

Last couple of photos to show the cockpit in position.

4_zps7r3hxqwo.jpg

5_zpsi9xvcdem.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 years later...
On 8/3/2016 at 2:09 AM, TEZ said:

A little more progress...

In order to bring out all that surface detail all the panel lines and rivets were gone over with a pin and vice and micro drill.

F-4J%20UK%20%2018_zpsvq7m0qyi.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2020_zpss94pistw.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2019_zpsmiqswqiw.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2017_zpsosuyuupv.jpg

The original plan was to cover the intakes with FOD guards but having purchased a set of GT resins seamless intakes the following mods were carried out...

F-4J%20UK%20%2022_zps3aiqwqn7.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2021_zpscrvmgt4i.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2023_zpsds6suuw0.jpg

The aircraft will be in 'Bravo' fit - centre-line tank only (as far as drop tanks are concerned). The kit tank was missing a couple of panels so these were added.

F-4J%20UK%20%2026_zps5lntlb1b.jpg

F-4J%20UK%20%2024_zpsvdshfe41.jpg

G'day TEZ,

Splendid work all round and good to see the projo moving forward. I suspect that the panel lines that you have added to the drop tanks are actually raised weld beads? If this is the case then perhaps you could add thin stretched sprue along the engraved lines and run some liquid cement over them to help them bed in, but happy to be corrected. Watching with interest,

cheers,

Pappy

Andrew,

very nice and I know how long this kit has been on your "to do list" ..... (as if I can throw stones !)

I think the compliments already posted capture better than any words that I can throw on a post, just how impressive it is already looking + as you very well know I cannot make a positive comment on a crab scheme...

Offer of Academy Aim-9L and -7Ms (close enough to skyslug?) remains if required. I have 2x 1/32 maritime jets in the very, very final stages of build - so I'll race you to the line to get them posted. (Retirement is suiting me very well!!)

regards

Hi Dom, I fear I’m enjoying this scale too much. Thanks for the offer of AIM-9s and ‘Skyflash’, but judging by my slow output you’ll need them before I do. How long before you finish your latest projects? 

Pleased you’re enjoying retirement.

regards

Andrew

• Like 1

• 1 month later...