1/72 - B-52H Stratofortress by Modelcollect - B-52G released, B-52D announced

madcat911

On 8/16/2018 at 7:43 PM, Nocoolname said:

But is still a lot cheaper than the MC kit

It's an absolute pig of a kit to build though and, detail is somewhat basic. The worst feature is the wings. They are moulded as if the aircraft is in flight. It is possible (albeit difficult) however to incorporate the wing droop for a parked aircraft. Strange how MC would provide extended flaps but, nothing on which to extend them!  The lack of conventional free fall whizz bangs and their underwing racks etc is disappointing. Hopefully to be rectified in their D model. I am  not however going to condemn this kit out of hand because , overall I can live with the "issues" noted. Certainly, it will be a major leap forward compared to the (still good but ancient) Monogram kit and, rather disappointing AMT/Italeri kits

Just as an aside the MC kit has already been quite comprehensively rubbished over on ARC Forum!  Mind you, going by previous experience on ARC, rubbishing everything is the default position😕

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 11:04 AM, Homebee said:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Go back to the previous page · Go to News Feed · Visit our Help Center

Lots of Faecbook links seem to end up like this.....................

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

New boxing announced - ref. UA72208  - Boeing B-52H Stratofortress early.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1106777746143991&id=153752164779892

Box art

39911093_1106777479477351_16355515666834

V.P.

Masses of dayglo orange and natural metal!! I love it already!!

Allan:lol:

• Like 1

The First Model Collect B52, UA72202 B52G land in the UK on or about September 7th to 10th and then a few day later to get to the stores and shops.

UK RRP will be £81.99 before any delaer discount.

The B52H UA72200 will leave our Far East shipping in September and be in the UK October again UK RRP will be £74.99

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scroll to the bottom of the comments left by Homebee it looks like they'll be offering a free update to the G version too:

"Modelcollect Hobby Inc. all those will be free, shipping cost is not include."

Sucks they didn't involve the community earlier with the build, perhaps they could have avoided the errors to begin with.

But that nose section is still not right: see below the highlighted (panel line), which on the real BUFF is aligned through the top sensor, and down to a point forward of the under-fuselage 'eye': the MC version has it going straight through the 'eye'. So that whole lower fairing looks to be too far forward. I got a B-52 crewman to point to the area :)

The 'crease' in the radome also is too pronounced and continues too far forward.

OK a bit picky maybe, and possibly not beyond some filling and rescribing, but might be better to get a 3D scan of the area and do it right in the first place?

B-52H 61-004 (1d) (2)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

But that nose section is still not right: see below the highlighted (panel line), which on the real BUFF is aligned through the top sensor, and down to a point forward of the under-fuselage 'eye': the MC version has it going straight through the 'eye'. So that whole lower fairing looks to be too far forward. I got a B-52 crewman to point to the area :)

The 'crease' in the radome also is too pronounced and continues too far forward.

OK a bit picky maybe, and possibly not beyond some filling and rescribing, but might be better to get a 3D scan of the area and do it right in the first place?

B-52H 61-004 (1d) (2)

I could probably file and rescribe that, but with a new model they should get it right from the get go imho.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Sabrejet said:

B-52H 61-004 (1d) (2)

Wow! Not only were you able to point out their mistake but you managed to enlist the help of an actual B-52 crew, with one of them placing a MASSIVE red arrow below the cockpit to make sure. Now that's what I call 'going the extra mile'. :clap:

Edited by Nocoolname
Updates
  • Haha 8

On 9/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, Sabrejet said:

B-52H 61-004 (1d) (2)

In my opinion theres a lot more than just the vertical line error as mentioned above.

The "lump" on top of the nose is too small, the lower forward looking pods are the wrong shape, the sensor is too small and disproportionally high in comparison to the photo and the shape going around the nose is incorrect. Look at the seam at the rear of the nose cone.. the real thing appears to be like an upside down U in shape, whereas the kit has a circular form.

I hate to be down on a new release of this beautiful plane, but I get so frutrated at the fact that monogram were better at this in 1968 without all the cad tech of today and with less reference pics to hand I'm sure!!

"Nigel's Mustang and Models" on You Tube.

There are official Boeing model drawings available that at least accurately show the basic shape of the nose before all the lumps were added. An on-line search would have turned them up, which tells me that Modelcollect's research was pretty poor. Those drawings can be found here: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2015/11/boeing-b-52a-and-b-52h-display-model.html

7 hours ago, nigelr32 said:

In my opinion theres a lot more than just the vertical line error as mentioned above.

The "lump" on top of the nose is too small, the lower forward looking pods are the wrong shape, the sensor is too small and disproportionally high in comparison to the photo and the shape going around the nose is incorrect. Look at the seam at the rear of the nose cone.. the real thing appears to be like an upside down U in shape, whereas the kit has a circular form.

I hate to be down on a new release of this beautiful plane, but I get so frutrated at the fact that monogram were better at this in 1968 without all the cad tech of today and with less reference pics to hand I'm sure!!

"Nigel's Mustang and Models" on You Tube.

I agree: the 'panel line' issue just gets you started on how it all looks wrong. \there are B-52Gs on display at a number of locations (similar nose contours) which could have been easily scanned I'm sure. Not all H models feature that bump atop the radome, so they could have missed that bit off and avoided one issue at least!

12 hours ago, Stealthman said:

The Model collect B52G is now out and initial reviews indicate they've made a few errors including the shape of the nose!  This will undoubtedly carry forward to the 'H' kit. It's very disappointing after the B2 kit. 

They’re releasing a corrected set of parts with the new kits and offering the same for those who have already received the G for the cost of postage only.