Little Donkeys - Hasegawa 1/72 I-16 Dual Combo *FINISHED*

I was lucky enough to score one of the Hasegawa I-16 Combo sets for quite a reasonable price; it's this one:

DSCN5185.jpg

Here's what you get inside (well, you get two of each of these):

DSCN5190.jpg

From the quick squint I had at it, it looks quite a nice kit, if a bit basic, the fabric effect on the wings and tailplanes looks excessively saggy in my opinion but it may actually have looked like that for all I know - in any case I will be building these OOB with the possible exception of the transfers - which I might use as they do actually look rather nice:

DSCN5188.jpg

I'll also have to read up on the paint colours here as I believe a lot of research has been done since I last built a VVS aircraft...

I'm off work until Thursday so hopefully I can make a start on these today... *rubs hands together*

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

I'll be watching this one. I love the I-16. Finally made some progress on an Amodel type 5 today. Most (if not all) blunders were my own.

I have really wondered what these Hasegawa ones were like, so this will be fascinating.

The ICM ones are nice, Revell, the less said the better, the Amodel; some (lots) of cleanup work needed but very rewarding and accurate.

These should fall together nicely, very nice choice and especially nice for a good price: enjoy! :)

:popcorn:

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Jack; that chap might know more about I-16s than I ever will and I have no reason to doubt his findings, but I can't help but feel he doesn't really understand percentages...

The ICM kit gets 99% for accuracy, the Hase gets 25% and the Revell gets 0%... which implies that either no single piece of the Revell kit even faintly resembles part of an I-16 or perhaps that the Revell kit resembles an avocado, or a tree, or a biro as much as it does an I-16 (I've never seen the Revell kit in the flesh but I cannot believe this to be true). The 25% accuracy figure for the Hasegawa kit sounds like a figure he just pulled out of thin air, I can't think of any logical way in which that could have been arrived at otherwise... but in fact no kit in this scale should get more than 1.39% for accuracy, being 72 times smaller than the real thing...

I personally firmly believe that when my kits are completed they will look at least 75% like an I-16 (only much too small) and I'm sure when you get round to building yours it will look superb.

Thanks Tony - it's disappointing to read so many faults in the Hase kit but at least I didn't pay top whack for it... clearly the ICM kit would be the way to go (and cheaper too!) for a better representation. Not sure I have a strong enough stomach for the A-Model kit though :D

When I was up in Aberdeen last Jamie Duff was kind enough to help me sort out some of the paints I thought I would need:

DSCN5205.jpg

For the interior (A-14 Steel Grey) I got RN Dark Admiralty Grey and made it a bit darker by mixing in some Extra Dark Sea Grey. For the exterior topside I got Russian Tank Green and I think I can use this unadulterated to represent AII Green, and for the underside All Blue I mixed RLM65 which I darkened a little and added a bit more of a blue tint with a little RN B20 Medium Grey-Blue. I used the colour charts on the VVS Research Page but it would probably be prudent not to examine my interpretations too closely, as apart from the Tank Green which was matched by the FS number (thanks Jamie) I mixed the others to the colours I could see on my laptop monitor which is, of course, less than ideal as a method of choosing specific colours. I'm happy enough with them, for all that.

There isn't much in the way of interior assembly:

DSCN5207.jpg

I sprayed these and the fuselage interiors, then did the detail painting and added a set of modified Eduard Microfabric RAF harness to each seat:

DSCN5213.jpg

Next I'll apply the instrument panel transfers, install the interiors and get the fuselage halves joined up...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

The Hase -16's really aren't that bad; they go together VERY nicely and in the end they definitely look like an I-16. Their biggest shortcoming is in the details the average bloke wouldn't notice, like in subtleties of the wing shape, exhausts between different subtypes and such. Really a decent little bird. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew, I certainly agree with regard to the assembly, it has been a doddle so far... first I applied the transfers to the instrument panel, matt varnished them and added blobs of Kristal Kleer to simulate the dial lenses:

DSCN5216.jpg

... these were fitted to the fuselage interior along with the cockpit interior parts:

DSCN5219.jpg

The engines were assembled, painted...

DSCN5220.jpg

... and fitted...

DSCN5223.jpg

The fuselage halves were joined, and the wings assembled:

DSCN5233.jpg

The wings will need to be cleaned up and fitted next, followed by the stabilisers...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

The ICM kit may be more accurate, but it can be a bit of b*****d to build.....It seems you have to leave the engine out to get the cowling to fit. :mental:

True, but you can't even see ANY of it when the cowl's closed up anyway. I don't usually say this, but with the I-16 in 1/72 scale I found it's pretty much completely useless to even detail-paint the front of the engine.

• Like 2

True, but you can't even see ANY of it when the cowl's closed up anyway. I don't usually say this, but with the I-16 in 1/72 scale I found it's pretty much completely useless to even detail-paint the front of the engine.

True!

Better spend some time on more visible details.

It's almost the same thing with the cockpit, but then, I wouldn't feel really well leaving the front office free of any added details.

A bit funny, isn't it?

• Like 2

Thanks very much gents :cheers:

The ICM kit may be more accurate, but it can be a bit of b*****d to build.....It seems you have to leave the engine out to get the cowling to fit. :mental:

Ah that is a shame, I was thinking of investing in one to see what the differences were, but if the differences include "one is extremely difficult to build and one isn't" then the idea becomes significantly less attractive :lol:

I did sort of form that impression whilst test fitting the engine and bulkhead assembly which deterred me from doing any more than the basic painting requirements...

Brilliant progress so far, i'll be watching as I may be interested yet in this small Russian thing. The fact that there's two in a box though! :popcorn:

Thanks - I can't get over how tiny the plane is; I've got the Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo dual combo pack too, it'll be interesting to see how they compare in size to each other...

Anyway I added the wings today:

DSCN5248.jpg

... and the stabilisers:

DSCN5251.jpg

The fit was again very good, the topside of the wings will require a smear of filler just to close a hairline gap. Next up is the undercarriage...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Looking far, far easier than Amodel Stew. Looking more enjoyable too. Hase have really got some nice details right, but they have got some others 'compromised'. I haven't made an ICM yet.

The Revell is kind of a 'cartoon' I-16, it's of its time - it still looks like an I-16 on the shelf - not a bath plug or bottle of ketchup :D. The Amodel is around spot on for a type 5, but a labour of love to build (albeit rewarding).

These aren't really type 24's Stew, there are a few outline issues I can see now you've got to this stage, but they look good. On the other hand there are some nice accuracies (that others miss) I can see. They look just fine anyway. We sometimes need to take a step back and just enjoy. There are absolutely no nice Hase style type 5's or 10's available - it's a shame and a market gap. Any little donkey model (moreover two!) is wonderful in my book . Looking forwards to paint:)

TT

• Like 2

Very late to this one Stew (I'm not in this GB) but a bit of 'Stew stalking' found it in the end. :wicked:

Great detailing and build on what looks like a nice kit of an unusual subject. I'll follow along if I may.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've a single boxing of one of these Hasegawa kits.

Wish I had read this beforehand, it gives it only 25% accuracy. Should be a good build just the same, fit and detail wise. Looking forward to these.

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Polikarpov/I-16/Kit_Comparison/i16_kits_part2.php

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack and all,

I think also that this reviewer is too critical for Hasegawa and at least based on my mileage too kind for ICM.

That's true that Hasegawa's wing is too narrow. About width of the aileron on the tip. If this disturbs how difficult it is to correct? I have not yet tried to cut the aileron away and spread the wing with a triangular piece of card. Rib detailing scares me a bit. Also I don't think the fuselage is not so bad. It is missing the fin offset what ICM has but again: Is it that visible? Of course, if you know what to watch... And what is exactly wrong with the fuselage? Certainly an easy built as is.

ICM has certainly best basic plan form accuracy. But not absolutely - compare the rudder to photos. Molding quality at least in my samples is not the best A-group and single piece outer wings are something I don't like. Detailing is exceptional but with cost of build ability.

Amodel I-16 has something in the fuselage/fuselage back I'm not comfortable. And IIRC it also misses fin offset. UTI-4 I like much more. Lacking offset also there.

Revell. Reviewer didn't have one. I think it has decent fuselage but too small tail surfaces and much too narrow wing. One local gent cut it "to shape" with nail cutters shortening the tips with Mark I eye balls, added new windscreen and gun sight and most people were wondering how "correct" Revell could look... Moral of the story: When shape looks good the missing span is not an issue :winkgrin:

So IMHO for accuracy ICM 95% second with Hasegawa 75% for tip 10 forwards. For build ability Hasegawa with or without fixing based on personal decision. Revell 25% for nostalgia or fun. Early variants either Amodel or converted ICM/Hasey and twin seater Amodel

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello gents and apologies for the delay in responding, for some reason I didn't see your replies and I haven't done much work on this in the last few weeks... sorry about that :blush:

AaCee, agreed, I think at least 75% would be a pretty fair assessment for accuracy, I can only imagine the gentleman quoted was trying to make a point but it does detract from what would otherwise be a valid argument for him to use that sort of hyperbole.

I meant to get started on the undercarriage but mature consideration advised fitting the gear after the underside had been painted - this is what slowed me up, as I didn't fancy doing the pre-shading but I finally got round to it:

DSCN5377.jpg

... which I then completely obliterated by overpainting too much light blue:

DSCN5384.jpg

...bum. :rolleyes:

Still, at least it got things moving again.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Hey Stew dapple , the models are coming out top class and it is a lovely little airplane too :)

BTW , I also used to cover my pre-shade as well , I have since found that tamiya acrylic smoke (translucent greyish paint ) is quite nice for post shading and since it is glossy in nature , it doesn't congeals within the airbrush like tamiya paints normally do .

This 1/72nd I-153 was post shaded with tamiya smoke between the ribs to simulate shadows -

WP_20160825_16_51_02_Pro_zpsfwlcjqs9.jpg.

• Like 6

Thanks very much Basu - I think the lesson for me was to only paint over my pre-shading in good light because it only takes one pass too many with the airbrush to go too far... I've got some Tamiya Smoke so I'll have a go at your method, thanks :)

Thanks Cookie, I had been getting some half-decent results with the pre-shading method - especially on lighter colours - so I don't think I'll pack it in on the strength of mucking this one up, just chalk it up to experience :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Cripes! It's just occurred to me how close we are to the end of this Group Build, so I need to do some serious digit-extraction if I stand any chance of finishing by close of play on Saturday...

I got the remaining upper parts fitted, apart from the wing guns which I will replace with Albion Alloys Aluminium micro-tube later:

DSCN5414.jpg

... and the upper-surface green (Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats ARR01 Russian Tank Green, fact fans) applied:

DSCN5416.jpg

... and the white on the second aircraft - I used US Navy Non-Specular White (Colourcoats ACUS10) because after all white is, more or less, white:

DSCN5419.jpg

I have some retouhcing to do, the undercarriage to add, the transfers and final varnish... I think I can do it :hmmm:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Those Ishaks are looking very nice, Stew! That Soviet Tank Green looks good - it's supposed to be basically the same colour as that applied to Soviet aircraft, but it doesn't always work out that way. In your case it has.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

They both look very nice Stew! I fear with Soviet aircraft that there are a lot of inaccurate kits out there because of the historic lack of information There are a lot of people who do seem to care deeply about accuracy and, judging by the manners and gusto of discussions on this topic on other sites, I'd say we will be lucky to get to the end of the GPW GB without fist fights breaking out! "Looks like an I16 to me"....

It's a bonus to have the two contrasting colour schemes too, puts that "Summer or Winter" dilemma to rest straight away.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2