HMS Monmouth 1914

Hi Chaps,

here's one a finished a couple of months ago - it also won a prize at the NZ IPMS Model Expo back in April.

Combrig 1/700 kit with scratched brass (soldered joints) masts and yards, added coal shute covers, ash-truck tracks, boat oars, etc and as much rigging as I could interpolate. This was both black and brown eazy-line stuff de-stranded to single threads for halyards etc and Caenis thread for most standing rigging. I found an image on the interweb showing Monmouth with new stockless anchor fit and obvious repainting near the hawse holes.

A major botch that I didn't notice was quite a bit of blue overspray from the sea base - I thought I had masked sufficiently. Doh!

Dedicated to the 690 or more men and boys lost with the ship, Battle of Coronel, 1 November 1914, at least 9 of whom had been to my old school - Royal Hospital School ("Cradle of the Navy") - until the 1930s where Maritime Museum Greenwich is now.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Monmouth1crop_zpsbgai5vao.jpg

Monmouth2crop_zpsftwbq1fd.jpg

Monmouth3crop_zpsjlqccyfl.jpg

Monmouth4crop_zpsi7lgqg3m.jpg

Monmouth5_zpsu8prnyrs.jpg

Monmouth6_zps4kdnzhww.jpg

Monmouth7_zpsrkjrx2zq.jpg

Monmouth8_zps758nzqoh.jpg

• Like 37

Thanks.

The water base is an acrylic molding paste - my brand here is 'Golden' (dries white). There is also a clear gel in the same range that can be used as an over-glaze/detail-builder and filler around any hull-base gaps. Painted with Vallejo acrylics. Semi-gloss varnish to finish. I've still got lots to learn with this - there are some fantastic examples out there by other ship modelers.

Cheers

GrahamB

• 2 months later...

Thanks all, again.

Will - it is a decent kit and not too small a subject. These armoured cruisers (of any nation) do look very tasty.

I tend to build anything destroyer-sized and smaller in 1/350 generally. There are simpler 1/700 Combrig kits. The only weakness with them (but the quality of the mouldings is becoming very very good) are the relatively coarse etched parts, no railings, masts and spars in weak resin, instructions vague (and in Russian) and no colour notes.

The outcome is up to the modeler - depends on how much extra detail you can add.

I've a few Combrig HMS pre-dreadnoughts to do that have exotic disruptive or dazzle camouflage (HMS Commonwealth in progress now).

Cheers

GrahamB

A really great build, and at 1/700 that is really amazing. I have always had a huge interest in the Battle of Coronel. I am currently working on the 1/200 card HMS Good Hope (hull compete) and would be more than satisfied if the finished model was half as good as yours.

Terrible loss of life, almost incomprehensible in today's RN where we can't even find 700 to man the new QE Class Carrier

I've a few Combrig HMS pre-dreadnoughts to do that have exotic disruptive or dazzle camouflage (HMS Commonwealth in progress now).

The benefit of these ships (HMS Leviathan (Good Hope Class)) is that some were in the late Victorian black, white & buff, then Admiralty grey and in the case of Leviathan, got the dazzle scheme as well!.

A really great build, and at 1/700 that is really amazing. I have always had a huge interest in the Battle of Coronel. I am currently working on the 1/200 card HMS Good Hope (hull compete) and would be more than satisfied if the finished model was half as good as yours.

Terrible loss of life, almost incomprehensible in today's RN where we can't even find 700 to man the new QE Class Carrier

The benefit of these ships (HMS Leviathan (Good Hope Class)) is that some were in the late Victorian black, white & buff, then Admiralty grey and in the case of Leviathan, got the dazzle scheme as well!.

I hope to get the Combrig HMS Glasgow done sometime but I'm now deciding whether to build my HMS Good Hope (originally intended) as either HMS Leviathan (as mentioned above) or even a late-war (1917-18) HMS King Alfred if I can obtain the port and starboard dazzle patterns from the IWM.

• Like 1

I hope to get the Combrig HMS Glasgow done sometime but I'm now deciding whether to build my HMS Good Hope (originally intended) as either HMS Leviathan (as mentioned above) or even a late-war (1917-18) HMS King Alfred if I can obtain the port and starboard dazzle patterns from the IWM.

HMS Glasgow at Coronel was commanded by Comedian Miranda Harts Great Grand father ! (she comes from quite a famous Navy blood line), and of course her family connections with Battles in the Falklands is probably unique

• Like 1