1:200 Revell North Cormorant Oil Rig

Amazing!  It's massive and looks great.   Reminds of that scene in Jaws and just change one word.  "You are going to need a bigger boat cabinet...."

Cheers  Guy

• Haha 1

Fireflash and TB4 will also be on the table themselves :) I will have Cthulhu lurking around the base of the structure however...

I should also have some Sea Devils, but don't have any figures for those...

As for transport i THINK I've got a solution, the 84 litre Really Useful box appears to be tall and wide enough internally to fit both parts of the model if separated at the sea level interface... I hope to get one of these boxes soon!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

More progress to report, having taken it apart again after the photo session, it was time to put some paint on the jacket. I used Halfords Red primer as the base, with an overcoat of Tamoya XF 9 Hull Red with a generous dollop of XF 3 Yellow in to lighten it a bit. Didn't want it exactly the same colour as it adds some subtle colour variation into the legs, which would be submerged and suffer all sorts of abuse. Once try, it all got give a wash with thinned Mig Dark Wash, the old stuff in the large bottles, not this new stuff in the piddly little bottles...

DSC_6616.JPG

During this I noticed that the Mr Dissolved Putty I'd put on top of the sea floor anchor pins had sunk inwards and notsealed the tube holes, so I gave them all another dollop which is the white stuff you see on them on the legs. I haven't used the word "dollop" so frequently in a long time, what a great word it is!

In this pic, you can see that the base has had a coat of claycrete to represent the sea floor and there are holes ready to accept the pipe strings for later. The lower jacket is now attached to the base - this was done using the claycrete to create a small cocoon for the base of each leg, which was then sealed around the leg with PVA glue.

DSC_6617.JPG

This last pic shows the upper jacket, which has now had its yellow paint restored. This was initially a can of Tamiya TS-6 which was then touched up with XF-3 through the airbrush. I masked the lower legs after they'd been given another coat of Halfords Red Primer and XF-9. Once this was dry, it got a wash with the thinner Mig Dark Wash, and then with some rust wash around some of the joints. I kept this subtle as they would be on a constant lookout for damage and decay.

DSC_6620.JPG

Next job will be fixing the sea surface to the lower jacket. This is being done using araldite and VERY careful alignment checking! More on this another time...

• Like 8

The big 84L box arrived so I tried it out to see how everything would fit.. .calamity! its not wide enough to take either piece of the model sideways :( So I've had to dig out one of my older 48L boxes for the base, but even with that the platform will have to be split up as the cranes are too tall for the big box and they are now glued in place :( So this is how it is looking:

DSC_6621.JPG

and with the lid off the big box you can see that I'll have to leave the rightmost modules unatached. Thanfully, the fit is tight enough that this won't be a problem overall.

DSC_6622.JPG

All together this is managable(ish)!

DSC_6624.JPG

By the way the white stuff on the base is my old trusty bathroom sealant water effect which was applied yesterday and is 24 into its 48 hours of drying - it will dry "clear" and give a good transluscent water effect, at the same time covering up the marks etc I made on the acrylic sheet while aligning the upper and lower jacket. All the pipes are now stuck in place - I left two rids sticking up above the sea surface to act as alignment guides for placing the platform onto the sea surface, plus there are very obvious dimples in the bathroom sealant where the legs should go.

This almost looks like I'm coming to the end!! Blimey! Need to finish off the figures while this is all drying now...

• Like 11

So its taking a long time for the bathroom sealant to dry out. in the meantime I've added the figures to the various walkways and platforms and the whole build is being set aside for a few more days to allow the sealant to dry out.

I'm going to pick up where I left off on the second Eagle Transporter build over in the SciFi section now... I'll be back!

• Like 2

On 28 September 2016 at 0:08 PM, Kallisti said:

If I had a fish tank that would be an excellent idea...

Not for the fish, I suspect.  :wicked:

Cracking build of a distinctly odd subject.....Looking forward to the Cthulhu team-up.  :coolio:

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:40 PM, Kallisti said:

All together this is managable(ish)!

DSC_6624.JPG

By the way the white stuff on the base is my old trusty bathroom sealant water effect which was applied yesterday and is 24 into its 48 hours of drying - it will dry "clear" and give a good transluscent water effect, at the same time covering up the marks etc I made on the acrylic sheet while aligning the upper and lower jacket. All the pipes are now stuck in place - I left two rids sticking up above the sea surface to act as alignment guides for placing the platform onto the sea surface, plus there are very obvious dimples in the bathroom sealant where the legs should go.

This almost looks like I'm coming to the end!! Blimey! Need to finish off the figures while this is all drying now...

That sea effect would be great even without drying.

What a cracking, amazing build!!!

I really want to see this with Great Ctulhu alongside... but sadly I won't make it to Telford this year on account I'll be in Dublin cheering on a few friends.