1:200 Revell North Cormorant Oil Rig

Another quick update to show how it looks with all the modules dry fitted together...

DSC_6440.JPG

The cranes need still to be added and the accommodation block needs finishing off. Going to be a bit of a pause for this week as the GF is coming over from Portugal so this will have to wait a few days...

• Like 13

I'm really enjoying this build although the more I see you do, the more my trepidation builds at the thought of making my own one stashed safely in the attic!

Dave

1 hour ago, Will Vale said:

Blimey, where are you going to put it when it's done??

Will

I wish I knew! It will be displayed on the Farnborough table at Telford and then I don't know what to do with it! :)

2 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I wish I knew! It will be displayed on the Farnborough table at Telford and then I don't know what to do with it! :)

You could have your  Deepwater blue finale on the Sunday , fireworks,  sirens set off the sprinklers for the full effect !!!!!!

Nope, they will be added later once I have the sub-surface jacket sorted. What you see in the photo above its the platform sitting on the wooden base and the acrylic sheet that will be the sea surface being drilled with the holes for the strings (pipes) form the platform in the right place and relationship to each other and the platform above...

• Like 2

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:18 PM, Kallisti said:

Anyone know where I could get a 1:200 scale Sea King? :)

Thanks for the reading suggestions Rob and Colin, still ploughing through my Pratchett collection from when he passed away last year and there is a stack of books waiting for the end of that marathon, so we'll see about them...

Bit of a hiatus this weekend as it was the Smallspace SciFi model show yesterday which was great fun. I'll return to Earth later today hopefully :)

Andrew - don't know about 1/200 but Sweet Decal do them in 1/144 - perhaps you could have one of these "in flight buzzing to or away" from the rig using some of your imaginative methods of perceptive modelling techniques. John

• 2 weeks later...

Progress moves on, a bit slowly lately for various reasons, however the jacket has progressed, with extra bracing beams and supports.

DSC_6518.JPG

These pics are where I decided to test out the alignment of the pipe strings that would be connecting the water surface with the sea bed and the upper part of the jacket. The acrylic sheet is a new one as I ruined the previous one drilling the holes for the strings in the wrong places! The red piece in the middle is actually sourced from the upper level of the jacket, where I cut it out and moved it down to provide extra alignment guides. The upper jacket doesn't really need it and it will not be visible as it sits under Module 4 anyway.

DSC_6519.JPG

DSC_6520.JPG

These show the effect of the 56 pipe strings in the middle. There are a couple missing as I ran out of plastic rods - more are on order! So then I took it back out to the shed and put together the platform and added the upper pipe strings to give an impression of what it will look like when complete!

DSC_6528.JPG

DSC_6529.JPG

DSC_6530.JPG

Here you can see the cranes have had their jibs rigged, although they haven't yet been rigged with a load. Next job is to complete construction of the lower jacket and start painting...

• Like 8