Le Grand Charles Clostermann's Tempest

doorgunner

Hello everybody, I just received the brand new special Hobby's Tempest Mk V...what a wonderful model kit !

As usual in my modelling "career" I will do the usual Clostermann's mount (I did in 72 and 48 many years ago).

I checked the decal sheet included in the kit without finding trace of "Le grand Charles" writing, have I missed something or they didn't put at all ?

It can be an occasion to re-trace the history of Clostermann's Tempests, I know that he flew several with different serial and different upper wing roundels.

Who can be so kind to summarize for me please ?

Thank a lot

Maurizio

I checked the decal sheet included in the kit without finding trace of "Le grand Charles" writing, have I missed something or they didn't put at all ?

..only one of his four Tempests featured 'Le Grand Charles' .... JF*E SN 222

neither NV 994 nor NV 724 (kit options) featured 'Le Grand Charles'

http://falkeeinsmodel.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/hawker-tempest-mk-v-academy.html

http://falkeeinsmodel.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/clostermanns-tempest-jfe-nv-724.html

• Like 2

Regarding references for Clostermann's aircraft the following is taken from my post in the thread on Clostermann and the Spitfire VII incident.....

The French magazine Avions number 151 for May/June 2006 contains a lot of material including many photos and colour drawings similar to those in the 2 TAF books. The captions are sufficiently detailed that it is clear a lot of research has gone into the drawings and some uncertainties are noted where applicable. Many of these photos and drawings also appeared in Avions 138 but 151 contains a lot of text covering his whole career, being the issue following his death.

• Like 1

some of that material is available at the links to my blog above, with permission from the artist and publisher. Also see Avions no 100 - an 'aces special' that featured Clostermann