Tamiya Gazoo Racing TRD86

Time for the build of a kit that's been sat staring at me from the pile for ages, Tamiya's Toyota TRD86. I picked this up last year at a bargain price online.

I'm personally a big fan of the GT86/BRZ twins. They have to be among the very few modern cars I would happily splash my own cash on. Proper RWD drivers cars with skinny tyres and just enough characterful boxer power to entertain.

TRD took this concept a little further with their factory spec rally car, the TRD86 which in Gazoo Racing colours is the subject of this kit.........

WP_20160623_17_22_37_Pro_zpssqdlxupn.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of the sprues but suffice to say this is yet another fine example of Tamiya's art, perfectly moulded with a colourful decal sheet which requires minimal painting of the shell beyond the base colour and even pre-cut self adhesive window masks.

So, on with the build.

First off, the floor pan received a coat of Halfords grey primer followed by the same company's Toyota Tyrol Silver. Some masking later saw various areas painted in satin black with titanium for heat shields......

WP_20160625_20_29_57_Pro_zps23xfcflr.jpg

WP_20160625_20_29_45_Pro_zpskyewv2ik.jpg

Next up, the rear suspension and differential assembly. Very minimal assembly was required before being painted in satin black with the diff cover picked out in silver. The rear brakes were then painted in various metallic shades before being added with poly caps hidden within the hubs.......

WP_20160625_20_30_20_Pro_zpssjkfdncc.jpg

The exhaust assembly followed, being made from just 2 parts, plus the tips which will be added later in the build......

WP_20160625_20_30_38_Pro_zpsdwrchtmq.jpg

To finish this first post, the above assemblies were brought together along with the prop shaft.......

WP_20160625_20_38_38_Pro_zpsz575up14.jpg

WP_20160625_20_38_54_Pro_zpscazvprkz.jpg

That's it for now, next up will the be front end.

Edited by paul_c
  • Like 2

Just a quick update today which sees the front suspension, steering and engine block/transmission dealt with. The front arches, engine block and bellhousing are moulded as one and needed a bit of masking and painting. Added to this, were the front uprights, brakes, steering rack and anti-roll bar......

WP_20160627_08_01_32_Pro_zpsyuhvyslu.jpg

Once dry, these were all assembled onto the floor pan......

WP_20160627_08_23_27_Pro_zpsh4iwm44w.jpg

WP_20160627_08_24_01_Pro_zpsqkndmswz.jpg

Next up will be the engine ancillaries and radiator.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate it mate. It really is a lovely kit. It's been a while since I've built anything of Tamiya quality and I have to say, I'm loving it......

Right, next up, giving some shape to that boxer engine. This hasn't full separate engine and gearbox detail that some of the more lavish Tamiya cars have but what is there really is lovely, especially considering there are so few parts. First off, the front of the engine block is painted and attached along with the belt and pulleys arrangement. Just 2 parts here in total......

WP_20160628_08_38_43_Pro_zpsspxxx2o8.jpg

This was followed by the intake manifold, pipework and radiator......

WP_20160628_12_34_01_Pro_zpsfluennlk.jpg

With the mechanicals finished, it's now time to turn to the interior. Tamiya provide the full standard interior from the road going car and add a sprue with the various pieces required for the rally version. You can see these are moulded in white and include the race seats, seat mounts, roll cage and fly-off handbrake......

WP_20160628_12_37_25_Pro_zpsrhwxdwqy.jpg

I couldn't resist dry fitting all of this onto the chassis.......

WP_20160628_12_35_29_Pro_zpstzizhktl.jpg

The interior parts are now all in for paint and decalling so thanks for looking and catch you next time!

• Like 1

Interesting I was hoping someone would build this as I wanted to see the changes made to make a rally version. I have to say I'm a little disappointed :( If that roll cage is like the real cars then it's illegal for International competitions :(

I wonder if Tamiya compromised so they could use as many parts from the standard kit as possible? Hmmm.

The standard kit itself looks great and the work you're putting in is stunning. Looks like a nice relaxing clean build :)

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing
  • Like 1

Thanks Ashley, yes I was thinking that it seems to be lacking somewhat on the competition spec. I wonder if this is a mistake on Tamiya's behalf or if the actual car they based it on was just a mock up? There certainly don't seem to be any mechanical upgrades.

It is a very relaxing build. No issues (yet!) and it pretty much falls together.

Edited by paul_c

It seems that the Tamiya kit is a complete work of fiction. I little research shows the rally car is called the GT86 CS-R3 and is being developed by Toyota Motorsport in Germany and has nothing to do with TRD :(

As suspected the interior is completely different and the roll cage a lot more substantial and the front bars are actually legal as opposed to the kits bendy things haha.

The kit as a road car still has its appeal so I might get one in the future.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

The paint finish is superb Paul. I am really gobsmacked. I found that the Tamiya tooling used to be very good when I was a lot younger but then I went over to Revell who were just as good at the time. Alas, some of Revell's tooling is getting a little rougher now. At the price of these kits the quality should be second-to-none.

The Revell Routemaster had some of the best tooling I've seen - not one flash on any components and every piece fitted perfectly. It almost felt like doing a learners kit (except for all the wiring and mods I did of course, ha! ha!).

Looking very good though mate.

• Like 1

It seems that the Tamiya kit is a complete work of fiction. I little research shows the rally car is called the GT86 CS-R3 and is being developed by Toyota Motorsport in Germany and has nothing to do with TRD :(

As suspected the interior is completely different and the roll cage a lot more substantial and the front bars are actually legal as opposed to the kits bendy things haha.

The kit as a road car still has its appeal so I might get one in the future.

Ashley

This link does have a picture and basic details of what appears to be Tamiya's prototype for this kit which was used in the Nürburgring 24-hour in 2012. I agree on the cage though, even for this 'production' endurance race, you would think it would be more FIA compliant. http://blog.toyota.co.uk/inside-toyota-city

I'm still enjoying the kit though and think it will look pretty attractive once complete.

Well, painting and decalling is completed on the interior. All pretty simple, just a mix of matt and satin blacks plus decals for the seats, belts and speaker grilles(!)........

WP_20160630_12_22_04_Pro_zpsvtf4xznk.jpg

The dash was next, with decals for the dials, stereo and co-driver's timing gear. The steering wheel should be covered in about 10 white strips of decal along with the yellow centre mark but I made such a hash at trying to get these on, I gave up with them.......

WP_20160630_12_23_11_Pro_zpsjvcfmuij.jpg

The cockpit tub assembled well with no issues and was fitted to the chassis.......

WP_20160630_12_34_47_Pro_zpsqzmabn8h.jpg

I then sprayed up the (very attractive) steel wheels in Tyrol Silver with black bolts and temporarily fitted them as I really can't resist a good rolling chassis shot!

WP_20160630_18_30_25_Pro_zpshhhbriqv.jpg

WP_20160630_18_30_40_Pro_zpsndorswbx.jpg

Next up is the bodywork, the scary bit!

Edited by paul_c

Just a quick one today, all bodywork has received a coat of Halfords finest before being separated and painted in either silver or satin black......

WP_20160701_10_13_17_Pro_zpsjqx5lnhj.jpg

WP_20160701_15_39_02_Pro_zps1rexuihc.jpg

Once the bodyshell has fully cured, there's some masking to do in preparation for spraying various black areas as a base for the decals.

Edited by paul_c