A Tank and a Camel. (not Armoured Car anymore)

Dave_R

12 hours ago, Dave_R said:

Hi Alberto,

The kit itself goes together quite nicely, but I'm finding a few inaccuracies as I'm going along.  Most of them are minor or easily correctable.  I think most of the inaccuracies are because the kit is based on an M-3a1 not an M-3.

If anybody is interested I'll list those that I've found but it's not too many.

Dave.

Hello Dave,

It's good to hear that the fit hasn't given you trouble. And about the inaccuracies, I guess you'd have to be really knowledgeable on the subject to detect them. So far, by asking other modelers here in Japan, the Chinese AFV kits at least seem to be acceptably good. Sometimes they even come with more value parts than Tamiyas.

Keep up the good work! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

A bit of an update.  I've mostly been working on the interior.

m3%2015_zpshywie7wq.jpg

m3%2013_zps3bh1z7po.jpg

m3%2014_zpswohb0dwb.jpg

m3%2017_zpshefufei8.jpg

m3%2016_zpsgm7ocv4p.jpg

m3%2018_zpsdd2bh1oy.jpg

m3%2020_zpsjaczlqi8.jpg

m3%2019_zps2nytvou1.jpg

m3%2021_zpsflnwahin.jpg

Not much of the interior will be visible, but all the hatches will open so I thought I ought to make a bit of an effort.

Most of the PE is on now, so next up will be the exterior painting.

Dave.

• Like 4

Hi all,

A quick update.

m3%2022_zps9svutnp8.jpg

m3%2023_zps5qvdb05g.jpg

m3%2024_zpsqk6yarsj.jpg

I've mostly finished the paintwork - apart from the tracks and detailing.

The tracks are the next thing on the list.  I'm going to use the individual link type, rather than the rubber band option (both types come with the kit).  Then onto the figures and the base.

Dave.

• Like 4

Hi all,

Here's the state of play at the moment:-

m3%2025_zpscjwoegux.jpg

m3%2026_zpsnwgch8am.jpg

m3%2027_zpslpiupar5.jpg

m3%2028_zps88byy5gq.jpg

So, I've got the tracks and decals on, added the rest of the figures and laid out some tank stowage.

The tracks were a bit fiddly - the track guides are used to hold them together (like the real thing I suppose).  It took about six hours to do - was it worth it?...  maybe, it depends if the limited time could have been better spent.

The decals were awful, absolutely the worst I've come across.  Not only wouldn't they conform in the slightest to the contours - even with vast amounts of micro-sol, they fell off as soon as they were dry.  Eventually I glued them in place with micro-flat and used a burnisher to stick them down.

I'm concerned about running out of time, as usual - so the figures will need to be priority this weekend.

Dave. 

• Like 2

Hi all,

Here's where I've got to at the start of the final weekend.  Mostly I've just been adding details to the tank, getting more paint on the figures and adding sand to the base.

m3%2029_zpsdrwtiwmw.jpg

Next job is get some weathering done to the tank, and then make more progress on the figures.

Dave.

• Like 2

Hi all,

A quick update:-

m3%2030_zpsakio9rwy.jpg

m3%2031_zpssdjykaft.jpg

Still quite a bit of detailing to do and the figures are lifeless.  I can only manage to spend a few hours on this today,  so not not sure how much I can get done.

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Well I've had to call this one done and the photos are in the gallery.  I could have used more time, but it wouldn't have made a lot of difference.

It's been an interesting project, I think I've got something out of the challenge and I think I'll be doing more vignettes in the future.

Thanks for all the comments.

Dave.