Here are the wire-and-tape cycad-analogues, I really like them. Still need to paint some details on the leaves and trunk.

30270155990_5ed943f622_b.jpg

I've also started a production line for banana trees, since they look jungly and don't need so many cuts in the leaves. Same techniques as the plants, I think they look quite promising and I'm looking forward to trimming and joining up the fronds.

30452269492_900d7ff808_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

Those are much better Will, the hint of structure makes all the difference.  :coolio:

Lead foil is another medium you might want to consider, you can score the structure into the surface and pick it out with paint.

I'd definitely recommend feathers for the palm fronds.   

• Like 1

So here's my first finished banana plant - much less hassle than coconut palms although I've incorporated a lot of the lessons learned from trying to make those:

30455082302_94353cfb0d_b.jpg

It's 80% masking tape, 20% wire :)

I popped the tree and the cycads onto the board (because it's foam you can just poke holes) and I think I have a good template to follow now - just need to make more.

29940474394_bde0c7bea9_b.jpg

30571974955_54759066b0_b.jpg

I think the glossy leaves make a big difference to the overall scene - it definitely feels more tropical than it did.

Cheers,

WIll

• Like 6

Thanks all!

I was really impressed at how well just brushing Chrome Oxide Green over the yellow tape worked, although I did mix a bit of Payne's Grey into the colour for the tops of the banana leaves to cool and darken it. The tube acrylics make really nice streaks with a wide flat brush so there's much less work required than it hopefully seems.

I think the banana leaves might need a touch of matt varnish as they look a little bit like they've been cut out of a colour supplement, but I need to look at some more tree pictures to figure out where it should go - I don't want to lose all the gloss, but I think maybe the ends or edges or something are less glossy in real life?

Will

• Like 1

On 26/10/2016 at 11:49 AM, Will Vale said:

Thanks all!

I was really impressed at how well just brushing Chrome Oxide Green over the yellow tape worked, although I did mix a bit of Payne's Grey into the colour for the tops of the banana leaves to cool and darken it. The tube acrylics make really nice streaks with a wide flat brush so there's much less work required than it hopefully seems.

I think the banana leaves might need a touch of matt varnish as they look a little bit like they've been cut out of a colour supplement, but I need to look at some more tree pictures to figure out where it should go - I don't want to lose all the gloss, but I think maybe the ends or edges or something are less glossy in real life?

Will

No tropical plants in the hills around Glasgow to look at Will, but our house plants are glossiest (is that a word?:unsure:) where the leaf is thickest. The spine and the edges are more satin, fading to matt on the stem and undersides. I'm not sure how easy that'd be to represent in miniature!

What you've already got looks amazing, though. I might dig out some minis this week and try some of those techniques on the bases. It's inspiring stuff!

• Like 1

Our local Amazon clone has just started importing that range into NZ - I liked the look of the leaf-and-branches punch since that would give passable undergrowth if it's the right size. I have acquired a few scrapbook punches locally as well but they're less ideal for our uses - the shapes are a bit twee or a bit too regular. Mind you, if they're all irregular the same way things look odd again.

I think Greenstuffworld have probably made all those sellers of teeny-tiny boxes of 1/35 pre-cut leaves wring their hands :)

Will

I've done a bit more on this, I think I should probably call it finished now or I'll never be rid of it :) I made three banana trees, some more small plants, and fixed various things so I could take it to our club champs:

30172704803_a2be139f71_b.jpg

The biggest thing was that I speed-painted two of the Lost Patrol scouts - started on Friday night and finished them off on Saturday night (and we were out most of Saturday!) - I reckon about 8 hours total which for me is pretty quick.

30172708283_f2b8694b78_b.jpg

The right-hand guy's eyes could do with a bit more definition, but the sergeant came out really well I think. I still need to put some Ultramarines transfers on the shoulderpads and re-varnish them. The chainsword pose ended up being a good match for the Tyranid warrior's bonesword in battle:

30690839182_f9f1679468_b.jpg

I'll get some proper pictures taken in due course (after I've set all the figures up a-gain...)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3