Flying barber pole! P-51B Snoot's Sniper

Yeah yeah I know, I go from a rare CBI stang to a ubiquitous 8th AF one. But hey, I though it looked great and the carto sheet went on like buttah. A quick, OOB 2-day build. 1/48 Tamiya kit.

F9EBA7C5-55CB-43ED-8A47-4625D99D242D.jpg

A4006329-E47C-4D94-94CE-5574B131110A.jpg

2E7D96F6-7084-44DF-951F-8B4E3A3F1F87.jpg

1C9F3BAD-B2CC-42A8-8EB0-F6A574878548.jpg

33270C19-04C4-493C-8845-6C909A946B2A.jpg

F6D24691-AD5A-4A65-BFC3-B81F9F44C86C.jpg

D193E13A-7F35-40CE-A1E7-07AB98AA0D6D.jpg

B04FD638-FBB4-45D4-BF12-22207E2079EE.jpg

B352CF70-D1C6-4727-AEE4-BB10224894B1.jpg

Edited by Habu12
  • Like 34

Wow - that NMF is top notch. What did you use for it and how did you do the weathering?

Cheers,

Michael

Alclad aluminum, airframe aluminum, duralumin, hi-shine aluminum plus, dark aluminum, and steel.

Weathering was done with Tamiya makeup kits.

• Like 1

2 days ?? You really know how to make a guy feel inadequate .... JUST KIDDING !! It is a very nice clean build. Thanks for posting. Bob H.

• Like 1

2 days ?? You really know how to make a guy feel inadequate .... JUST KIDDING !! It is a very nice clean build. Thanks for posting. Bob H.

I get asked how I do it. Well, the biggest thing would probably be that I build OOB. I rarely if ever use any aftermarket. Maybe a resin seat or wheels or an exhaust. Something like QuickBoost or Eduard Zoom. Second, I work in subassemblies and don't spend too much time on filling and sanding. I hate doing that anyway. Cockpits get minimal detail, unless they're going to be open canopy or highly visible. I paint strictly with enamels. No acqueous acrylics. Why? Because they're not as robust as enamels, dry time is longer, and they don't stand up to the fast transitions. And by that I mean I paint, future coat, decal, and dullcote all within a day, and sometimes within a 3-4 hour session.

Edited by Habu12

I get asked how I do it. Well, the biggest thing would probably be that I build OOB. I rarely if ever use any aftermarket. Maybe a resin seat or wheels or an exhaust. Something like QuickBoost or Eduard Zoom. Second, I work in subassemblies and don't spend too much time on filling and sanding. I hate doing that anyway. Cockpits get minimal detail, unless they're going to be open canopy or highly visible. I paint strictly with enamels. No acqueous acrylics. Why? Because they're not as robust as enamels, dry time is longer, and they don't stand up to the fast transitions. And by that I mean I paint, future coat, decal, and dullcote all within a day, and sometimes within a 3-4 hour session.

Thanks for the building tips. I have derived a plan to speed things up at least a little bit. On my old Revell / Monogram kits I may build them OOB with the wheels up and hang them from the ceiling and save my detailing efforts for the better kits that will be sitting on the shelf for display. After all, don't we all need some aircraft flying "Top Cover" missions ? Once again, thanks for posting the build. It really looks great. Bob H.

• Like 1