Vikings, F-104G x 2

Thank you guys for the kind words, I think I've finished them now.I took a quick pic in between showers with my phone.

IMG_0625_zpscfnxgjjz.jpg

I'm still waiting for my decent camera to be fixed so when it is ready I'll take some proper photos for the gallery, hopefully won't be too long! In the meantime I might knock up a step ladder provided in the Italeri kit for the open jet for a little more life to the model.

The Eduard fabric RBF tags were easily the best ones I've ever used, very realistic and highly recommended!

One issue I had an idea might be the case is that the models seem to sit too high. The wheels are certainly oversized by 2mm or so, but I think also the landing gear legs are modelled as if very little weight is applied from the jet. Comparing it to my Hasegawa 1/32 model they are about 3-4 or more mm taller which is quite noticeable side by side, not that I can do anything about it now however (I'll take pics of this issue in a RFI thread). Another point if anyone wants to have a crack at this kit, the plastic is soft and hence the landing gear legs do not seem to be the strongest especially the front one. I thought I could get away with it being clean airframes but if I wanted to make a tooled up one with resin Kormorans, tanks and Aim-9s I'd probably opt for some white metal legs available as that would make a relatively heavy model once built to which I wouldn't be confident of the front leg being up to the task. Just my thoughts on the kit, hopefully not coming across as moans! :)

I do have a question for the mods however. Should I enter them as a pair or as individual models? They are the same thing really but some difference between them. Not sure which one adheres to the rules better :)

Thanks for looking and as always very grateful for the comments and support you guys give, much appreciated.

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 12

What an atmospheric picture David, looks great.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of the finished models once your camera is fixed as like a lot of others I have really enjoyed this build (as I do all your builds) from start to finish, your attention to detail and scratchbuilding are fantastic and I really like your painting and weathering effects, very effective.

Great work David, very well done mate.

Craig.

• Like 2

With that single photo all your effort and skill has come to a zenith of realism most of us can only dream of :goodjob: That comment, by the way, applies to both your model-making and photography.

If you wish to add each model as a separate entry I'd be happy to see that. Only problem I can foresee is how we are going to pick a favourite from the two!

• Like 3

Craig, Col and Cliff, all way too kind! Thank you very much and glad you like them!

Col-I don't mind either way but if two separte entires is the way to go I'll do it that way, not the easiest to take photos of two 1/32 models anyways :winkgrin:

Cheers,

David.

• Like 1

Quite simply the two best models I've ever seen of my favourite airplane ! Thanks for sharing the photos and build info with us, David. :wow::thumbsup:

• Like 1

With that single photo all your effort and skill has come to a zenith of realism most of us can only dream of :goodjob: That comment, by the way, applies to both your model-making and photography.

Exactly what Col said.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys very much!

I added some pics to the gallery this eve. Still from my phone so not the best and I'm not happy with them tbh but its all I can do before the GB deadline. When I get my camera back I'll take some decent photos and do a proper RFI thread and link here, probably with my Tornado too, one big Marineflieger post! :)

Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement throughout the build, always greatly appreciated and makes building things on here such a pleasure. Also a big thank you to the mods for organising and running the GB, was probably my favourite one yet, bring on the 70's, 60's GBs too! :D

Thanks all,

David.

Glad to hear you've had fun in this one David. It's been a pleasure to watch your progress. Hopefully we'll be doing it all again soon in the 70s edition :D

• Like 1