Academy F-4J Phantom tomcatters 1/48

hello fellow artists.

I leave you here a model i made last year.

It is academy's F-4J phantom which comes with jolly rogers decals. but i decided to build it to resemble the tomcatters scheme.

With decals from the original kit and the ones from superscale decals, which i was lucky enough to find them on ebay. Also resin upgrades to the intakes, wheels and tires, tailhook, and exhaust pipes. minor scratch into the wheel wells, and finally painted PE for the cockpit.

now, to the pictures. :yahoo:

ml130j.jpg

vgiwrp.jpg

k1qctl.jpg

10r0e3b.jpg

34sl7rb.jpg

sfaxpi.jpg

14wq0yh.jpg

2v29jkp.jpg

regards from Mexico!

• Like 51

thank you raguk.... it was a lot of effort.. but I really liked in the end. those intakes were a really pain, they didnt fit well because they were made for the hasegawa kit. But a lot of sanding and putty and rescribing was to be done, and it was worthy. :winkgrin:

yeah ... its really candy for the eyes. As a tomcatters fan im planing on building every plane they flew. I have many of them already finished. Wildcat, phantom, bearcat, and the mighty super hornet, they all are already done. The demon, panther and tomcat are at the top of the stash. I actually plan on building two tomcats, the very first and very last they flew.

Regards!!!

• Like 1

Hey, cool! I did the same project over a 10-year period for the Jolly Rogers. Half the effort was research and collecting unpublished photos of their unknown years (1945-mid 50's). And like you, I did multiple Tomcats. I did one each A-version for the 70's, 80's and 90's; then one B-model for the 90's and 2000's. I'm going to do the same for the Super Hornet now that we're over halfway through this decade, the second one of its use.

Ended up being exactly 30 planes :)

Edited by Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy
  • Like 2

Wow, what an outstanding model. That makes my decision easier to built a Navy F-4. Udo.

• Like 1

Nice Phantom, great looking scheme.

Great work.

Guy

• Like 1

Hey, cool! I did the same project over a 10-year period for the Jolly Rogers. Half the effort was research and collecting unpublished photos of their unknown years (1945-mid 50's). And like you, I did multiple Tomcats. I did one each A-version for the 70's, 80's and 90's; then one B-model for the 90's and 2000's. I'm going to do the same for the Super Hornet now that we're over halfway through this decade, the second one of its use.

Ended up being exactly 30 planes :)

Hey that sounds cool!! Do you have any of them posted here ? Would be very nice to see some of them, I forgot to mention also the banshee and hellcat are also part of the plan, but I cant find a nice banshee kit.

Hey that sounds cool!! Do you have any of them posted here ? Would be very nice to see some of them, I forgot to mention also the banshee and hellcat are also part of the plan, but I cant find a nice banshee kit.

Nothing posted here yet other than the FJ-3 over in someone's in-progress Falcon FJ-3 thread.

All yours in 1/48? I did 1/72...no room for 30 48th birds. :)

yeah... all in 1/48. :evil_laugh:

Ah yes, well...wasn't easy, especially seeing how several of the aircraft needed for the history aren't done in 1/72, to say nothing of the decals. F9F-6 and F9F-7 were particular challenges, though not totally insurmountable.

• Like 1