Grumman Tracker wing fold query

Scott Hemsley

I'm currently in the midst of planning a future build of a Grumman Tracker with folded wings, in 1/72 using the Hasegawa kit. I have quite a few downloaded reference photos of the actual fold, but I was wondering if anyone would have the instructions for the Kinetic 1/48 kit that they could scan, at least the section(s) showing the assembly for the wing fold. My intention would be to use that as a basis for scratching my own parts and seeing how Kinetic handled the issue of supporting the weight of the wings in the folded position.

PM me if you can help out.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

Hi Scott,

If it does not work out, try this.

01.%20Tracker%20Crew%20website.jpg

03.%20TrackerCrew%20website.jpg

The weight of the Tracker wing (1/72) in this case is resting on the supports at the end of the wing.

The wing-fold is connected with a solid U form hydraulic interpretation, solidly glued into place.

See also: http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/tracker_160__2_.html

(Scroll down for the fold pictures in detail)

Succes with the fold.

Dirk.

The Netherlands.

• Like 3

Next time I'm at the Pax River Museum (http://paxmuseum.com) I can take a photo or 12 of the wing fold, struts etc as theirs is sitting with the wings folded. I'm there a couple of times per week. It has struts supporting the weight of the wings, as most aircraft do; once the hydraulic pressure is eased, the weight is then on the hinge, which doesn't hold well in a breeze...

Tim

Thanks gentlemen. All your help is appreciated.

Dirk ... your link proved quite helpful and I've saved those two shots of the wing-fold. That's also, a pretty nice looking Tracker, the overall colour is not dis-similar to the overall scheme I'll be doing for my Tracker. Not quite Sky, but easy enough to mix.

Don ... that link showing the Kinetic instructions was perfect. I had an idea of using a flat staple as the basis for the U-shaped support joining the wing halves, but the illustrations in the instructions gave me what may turn out to be the critical piece of information (the key piece?) to strengthen that assembly even more than I first envisioned! Like Dirk's photos, this bit of information has already ben saved where I can get at it when I need it.

Thanks again for you help, guys.

Scott

one more for your thread, Scott.

The wing fold was so much work for me, that I only detailed and will only photograph one side of this Tracker. the build stalled for many years while I worked out how to do the small hydraulic latches.

Tracker2023_zps1727cdb9.jpg

Cheers and good luck !

Tony

Thanks a really nice CP-121, Tony ... and basically, exactly what I'm planning to do (although I'll be doing the one from the Flight Colour sheet A02 - VS880 post-unification). Any suggestions for those hydraulic latches?

Scott

Thanks a really nice CP-121, Tony ... and basically, exactly what I'm planning to do (although I'll be doing the one from the Flight Colour sheet A02 - VS880 post-unification). Any suggestions for those hydraulic latches?

Scott

Scott, For the outer wing section, I cut little triangles of sheet plastic. For the inner wing, I used a double row of fine copper wire. Lots of scrap plastic and plastic I-beam and C-channel for the other details. I'll see what I can do about some better pics

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson

The beauty of 1/72, is it leads to the impression of detail, not the actual detail itself. I am limited with my current camera and set-up. Here is a couple of shots taken this afternoon;

Dsc06128_zpst8jabeje.jpg

Dsc06132_zpsch7g3ihm.jpg

Edited by Tony Edmundson

Tony ... that is definitely what I'm aiming for. I'm amazed at the detail you got into the wing-fold. It really shows once I saved and enlarged them - a real inspiration.

Radleigh, I could use those pics if your camera is still handy. They'll help me scratch something similar in 72nd. Thanks for offering.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

• 3 years later...

Any update on this build. I bought the Hasegawa kit from HLJ, cos the description mentioned that there are parts included to build it in “stored” configuration. Turns out there’s none.... now I m hunting around the Web for a solution.