Trumpeter 1:35 Faun Tank Transporter

If you put up the Leo2A5 going to be epic, if you fancy a bit of weathering (content), you can give a very authentic touch, cheers Kevin :popcorn:

I hope so Francis. I have been studying weathering a little and gathered some info. I just have to remember not to put too much on (which I have done in the past).

For those who have followed this build, I now have the Reall Leopard 2 A5 tank kit which I am posting on the WIP forum here

I hope to see you all there too as I always appreciate people's feedback good or bad.

So tanks........I mean thanks..........(sorry about the pun) for following this project along the way and look forward to meeting up again on my next build.

• Like 1

Hello. Looks great so far. Always liked the Faun. The weathering depends on that where it has been. Here in Germany they are normally very clean. Just the usual dirt and dust from asphalt streets. There are seldom maneuvers here today. I saw them on several during the 80's. Mostly they were also on the streets due to its weight and length. Anyway here is a good site for photos:

http://www.primeportal.net/apc/ulrich_wrede/gepard_1a2_on_faun_slt/

Cheers.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

It looks fantastic! It needs a little weathering, they don't stay clean for long, maybe a little mud / dust on the tyres?

Thanks Phil. As I said before, weathering will be another first for me. My daughter doesn't know it yet but I am going to 'borrow' some of her makeup to practice with...........

Hi Kevin

Here's a site with photos of the FAUN in service. Maybe useful for your weathering.

http://www.panzer-modell.de/referenz/in_action/SLT/SLT.htm

Matt

Thanks for that Matt. A brilliant site for some decent pictures. The one's with the snow look very interesting, especially the snow chains. Didn't think of that one.

Hello. Looks great so far. Always liked the Faun. The weathering depends on that where it has been. Here in Germany they are normally very clean. Just the usual dirt and dust from asphalt streets. There are seldom maneuvers here today. I saw them on several during the 80's. Mostly they were also on the streets due to its weight and length. Anyway here is a good site for photos:

http://www.primeportal.net/apc/ulrich_wrede/gepard_1a2_on_faun_slt/

Cheers.

Brilliant. Thanks for the link. I was looking at how they secure the tank to the transporter and this site shows it in a lot of detail as well as some other possible detailing.

I should imagine it was a great site seeing one in action though. Envious at that.

Thanks for the tips too. Something I shall think about.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally, the kit is built and the Leopard has been secured on the back. I have also added some figures to create a 'scene' toadd some atmosphere.

Below is a sample of the pictures that I have now taken and I hope to upload some more in the RFI section very soon. I hope you enjoy.

Trans41a_zpsyxthjw1a

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 7

Hi everyone

The pictures are now available in the RFI section for those who are still interested to see how it all turned out.

Thanks again for following so patiently and I hope you feel it was worth the wait.

I now have a Challenger 1 (Mark 3) on order and hope to see you in the WIP section again soon.

that came out really nicely - so much so that I want one now

I do have one question though - are the trailer wheels meant to steer as well? I ask because it looks like the last 3 sets of wheels are turning like the front set of the tractor unit. If so, that would have to be one of the weirdest outlays for a trailer I have ever seen - steerage from the rear axles

that came out really nicely - so much so that I want one now

I do have one question though - are the trailer wheels meant to steer as well? I ask because it looks like the last 3 sets of wheels are turning like the front set of the tractor unit. If so, that would have to be one of the weirdest outlays for a trailer I have ever seen - steerage from the rear axles

Thanks MH. It is definately a good kit to build and worth the cost. The plastic is so clean and the photoetch adds great detail.

As for the steering on the trailer, it does seem strange that the rear axles of the trailer are used to steer, but I have looked it up and it seems that it is correct. I have studied a video of the real thing in action and it all seems to work out ok when the whole unit is turning.

• Like 1

Looks very well to me. A link from Munster, Lüneburger Heide:

Great video, thanks. Really enjoyed watching it and just wish I could have seen it for myself. Nothing better than watching military hardware on the main roads. I used to see them a lot when I was younger, cruising up our motorways (before it was stopped due to the damage to the road surface).

Vignette makes it sound small though, and it's SO far from that... :hmmm: Good work, and the background really sets it off :)

Thanks, Mike. due to lack of space it is hard to create a proper scene but I managed to get this on to a small piece of wood. I actually bought some 5 feet wide backgrounds that are usually used on model railway layouts. Expect to see this background figure in most of my builds from now on.............

Very well done Kevin. I hope mine turns out this good!

I'm sure it will be ok, Rich. It's a good build to do and looking forward to seeing it develop on here.