1/72nd Tamiya Thunderbolt Mk.II X 2, RAF Middle East & SEAC

Hiya Folks,

Here are a pair of 1/72nd Tamiya Thunderbolt`s which were intended to be for the P-47 Group Build but due to illness they could not be finished in time,..... so here they are now instead.

The first one is an aircraft from 73 OTU in Egypt and the model was converted to P-47D-30 status by adding some air brakes under the wings and moving the id light,... the decals are from Xtradecal and the WIP is here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999704-172nd-tamiya-thunderbolt-mkii-73-otu-egyptlets-try-again/

DSCF8068_zpsixkez4s7.jpg

DSCF8066_zpsuakxrnut.jpg

DSCF8071_zpsq06y3fyz.jpg

DSCF8067_zpszbzzkcoc.jpg

DSCF8061_zps5qextfhr.jpg

DSCF8064_zpsesel6wre.jpg

DSCF8063_zpstqiiel8z.jpg

DSCF8062_zps6hr5rscl.jpg

It was painted using a Tamiya rattle can for the silver and the O/D etc was brush painted, as was the matt varnish to tone the entire finish down.

The second model represents HD265, RS-G of 30 Sqn which appears in a well known photo, the decals came from Rising Sun. The WIP is here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999337-172nd-tamiya-thunderbolt-mkiiwas-73-otunow-hd265-rs-g-of-30-sqn-seac-1945/

DSCF8072_zpsc8dc9efa.jpg

DSCF8073_zpsrzsiazpz.jpg

DSCF8076_zpsrpvdvdvq.jpg

DSCF8074_zpszahta0sk.jpg

DSCF8077_zpsx8agbi8f.jpg

DSCF8082_zpstfgww3io.jpg

DSCF8083_zpsk8dylwpo.jpg

DSCF8084_zpsfebaszj0.jpg

DSCF8085_zpsejjbp3qy.jpg

This one was brush painted and silver paint chips were added using a silver pencil,.....maybe I got a bit carried away on this one?

All the best

Tony

Edit,....oh bum,......one of the guns from the SEAC model has fallen off,....... carpet monster strikes again!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 22

Nice pair of Jugs Tony.

Really like them both, nice to see a metal Finish (but I prefer the SEAC).

Weathering looks good to me

Edited by Skids
  • Like 1

Lovely Jugly! Two lovely T-bolts there Tony!

I don't know if it's my monitor, but a number of your recent builds where you've used the silver pencil for chipping, the chips look a pinky/mauve colour...!!

Whatever, two more lovely models off your production line - I just wish I could finish 1 in the time you do 10!

Keith

• Like 1

A couple of great looking Thunderbolts with beautiful finishes. I don't know quite why but the P-47 really lends itself to RAF markings. I have a glaring hole in my inventory of RAF fighters the perfect shape for a Thunderbolt so this is great inspiration.

• Like 1

Two beautiful Thunderbolts tony, they have that hard to describe look of "just enough" paint and no matter how it was applied it doesn't obscure panel lines and other details the way my efforts seem to. My hat's off to you.

Well done, Trev

PS the paint chips look pink on my monitor too.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody,.......glad you like the Jugs!!

I cannot see the pink tinge to the silver chipping myself, but it is a possibility that the silver pencil is tinted slightly,......I`ll get a second opinion from my better half!

Cheers

Tony

Very nice! - I especially likes the SEAC one. This kind of scheme with white strips is very apealing.

On my screen the silver chips looks a bit pink also... :).

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Lovely pair sir. They both look great. If it helps I thought a little pink here too and I'm on my iPhone. Regardless it's wonderful work.

I'm going to have s gander at the WIPs. How did I miss these?

All the best.

John.

• Like 1

That's a great pair of Thunderbolts, my favourite is the silver 73 OTU machine - the Ace of Spades on the engine cover is just so cool! And yes - I see a pink tinge on the SEAC one as well :-)

• Like 1