Lister 'Knobbly' Jaguar 1/8 scratch

Nice to see it at this stage. I'm certainly no expert on these Roy but is a SBC another variant that was raced? Perhaps later in vintage? I think TDR prints one of those.

EDIT: Monogram big hot rod kits have them for probably cheaper...

Edited by Codger

The Lister is still safe and green...

I'm awaiting a paint code for the C Type so can't get on with that one, so I've made up the pedal linkages on the Lister and fitted them.

Blinkin' fiddly, but good fun and it all help to (eventually) make the engine bay look busy and full up.

Roy.

P1012767_zpsqsw1jemi.jpg

P1012768_zpsotjyuuzw.jpg

• Like 4

Brass and ally tube, plastic arms, wire spring.

I've done a bit more and am nearly ready to install the engine - can't post any pics though as bl--dy Photobucket is down AGAIN.....

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Right - try again now that PB is working.

Carbs sorted and fitted but won't add the trumpets until much later - too fragile.

Engine checked for fit and all ok. It's meant to be canted at 17 degrees from vertical so it isn't accidentally wonky...

I need to add more of the plumbing etc to the chassis before the lump goes in though.

Roy.

P1012771_zpsmaj32syg.jpg

P1012772_zpsqliplzmj.jpg

P1012773_zpsqgmsgsmy.jpg

P1012774_zpsa47k0ipz.jpg

• Like 5

Hello there...

Yes, actually the real car is wired with numerous colours of cables - as are most cars.

Even old cars had lots of colours in the wiring but years of dirt and grime makes them all look black/brown.

Have a peep at a wiring diagram from any car in the 50's-60's. You'll be surprised by the number of colours.

This is a 'new' Lister, currently being built by Lister cars.

I took around 100 photo's at the factory and I've tried to use colours of wiring close to the real car, except the real car has more lilac and purple wires...

Still more to add.

Roy.

• Like 1

Some more today.

Front uprights made and fitted. These aren't exactly proto, as they need to be man enough to support the car.

They're very similar to the real items and in the end are hardly seen.

I've also built up the oil pump that sits behind the front cross member.

One wheel/tyre testing for fit etc.

All ok so far...

Roy.

P1012778_zpszwdkouph.jpg

P1012779_zpsozkxliqz.jpg

P1012781_zpspfqdtobv.jpg

P1012782_zpssavvvltq.jpg

P1012791_zps4ra5ww0l.jpg

P1012790_zpstyq5kr5q.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roymattblack said:

Some more today.

Front uprights made and fitted. These aren't exactly proto, as they need to be man enough to support the car.

They're very similar to the real items and in the end are hardly seen.

I've also built up the oil pump that sits behind the front cross member.

One wheel/tyre testing for fit etc.

All ok so far...

Roy.

P1012778_zpszwdkouph.jpg

P1012779_zpsozkxliqz.jpg

P1012781_zpspfqdtobv.jpg

P1012782_zpssavvvltq.jpg

Outstanding, as usual, Roymattblack :)

Where has you found the "stainless steel" 1:8 scale bottomline hose ?

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 1

I've just found this...

Brilliant work, as ever, Roy.

A couple of notes:

The gauges in pre-electronic racers (if you're a pro) are set up so that "normal" i.e. temperature, oil pressure and temp, max revs, and anything else, are all set vertical. That way, when you get a chance to glance at the instruments it's easy to see if anything isn't right. If it's a dual gauge then the most important thing goes at the top. A mechanical rev counter will also have a red "tell tale" needle that shows max revs. There's a small reset button on the back of the rev counter that's (hopefully) out of reach of the driver....

Standard car wiring colours in the UK used to conform to BS.Au7 (I have a copy somewhere). Most of the racers that were professionally built that I've come across at least loosely followed the spec, as it's easier to diagnose faults for any auto trained electrician.

Many thanks you guys for the kind words.

The braided hose came from Ebay over a year or more ago - I'll look for a link.

The wiring - I guess these days it's more about simplicity of connecting stuff up.

If you know where one end of the 'pink' wire is, it's easy to find the other end...

The gauges are all photo's of the gauges in the real car.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Nice work Roy,

That braided wire looks the business. The black cylinder is actually the oil filter, the oil pump is within the engine block.

I didn't get a chance to take any ref photos today regarding the pipework, I'll try again tomorrow.

Cheers, gazza l

They certainly are Mr C.

I'll add the shocks/springs once the wheels are on the car so they fit top and bottom.

At present, the A arms and uprights move properly on their pivots.

I'll add small support blocks under the car (as I always do) and then fit the wheels..

The A arms etc will then find their own position. I'll add C/A to fix them in place, and then build the shocks and springs to fit.

I'll do the same at the back end.

That way, all four wheels sit neatly and flat.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

Only a little bit today as I've had umpteen other things to attend to.

Steering column sorted and in, engine test fitted to check clearances and all is ok.

I'll sort the oil lines tomorrow and then the engine will probably go in permanently...

Roy.

P1012795_zpszwuxcci1.jpg

P1012796_zpsn8hcrljm.jpg

P1012797_zpsxpbx5u7v.jpg

P1012798_zpslt6m9qh7.jpg

• Like 2

Righty ho, fellow plastic-bashers.

I've sorted the various oil lines with great help from Gazza on the forum, who actually works at Lister and builds these beauties!

He provided me with a 'map' of where the lines all go so getting them in place was vastly simplified.

For anyone interested, the 'braided' oil lines are actually made from silver Venetian blind cord - several people have asked, as they look really authentic.

Front brake lines are now also in, as is a start on the engine wiring.

The engine is now also permanently installed so no going back there...

I need to 'fake' the engine mountings though, as at present, they are just steel rod and Araldite - for strength.

Roy.

P1012799_zpsck2jvbll.jpg

P1012800_zpsaceuf3m2.jpg

P1012801_zpsikkv4ady.jpg

P1012802_zpss6lyx6ag.jpg

P1012803_zpswbh70vff.jpg

P1012804_zpsxxfye4rw.jpg

P1012805_zps6r4t79zg.jpg

P1012806_zpsjuebi4l5.jpg

P1012807_zpshbvpw8il.jpg

P1012808_zpsf2uf2c9c.jpg

P1012811_zpsgaezqqjt.jpg

P1012812_zpsiyqnq9oz.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 4

Exemplary work sir!!  May I ask where you got the decal for the starter motor?  I have been hunting around for some small motor labels that I want to use on my Aventador air system motors, and there's nothing in Koo's decals that would work.

Also, great band BTW!!  Your set list looks similar to ours!!! :)

Darin