Lister 'Knobbly' Jaguar 1/8 scratch

Some of you may recall my beginnings of the Lister.

I arranged and bought a VERY poor 3D shell of the car at Pocher money (NOT the company who did my awesome Ferrari engine parts) and in case you were wondering if it had been dropped - no, it hasn't.

A taster of the first vac moulding of part of the car... These are first ROUGH pulls.

The first two pics show the awful 3D printed part which was (eventually) reduced, sanded and smoothed enough to make masters from.

More to follow, after the GTO.

Roy.

P1011242_zpswuaazars.jpgP1011243_zpsqanhq5ze.jpg

doorstop%202_zpsvmpntibv.jpeg

doorstop%201_zpsipajeety.jpeg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

In case anyone thought this had been forgotten, I'm making a tentative start on one of the vac form shells now.

I'll be doing this one alongside the C Type pretty much from now on.

I'm going to build this one as one of the well-known green/yellow cars but may also do another Chevy engined one at some point.

Roy.

P1012511_zpsxyumpipq.jpg

P1012549_zpstejogymu.jpg

P1012550_zps74jkd0wj.jpg

• Like 2

It's wonderful to see this big-scale explosion here. Two at once, just a casual parlor trick for Roy. This will increase interest in your plea for scratch-building and a great 'money where mouth is' display of what you've been preaching.

Two beautiful models coming to life that didn't exist before. You da man Roy!

PS - But take care of that broken tootsie too! :police:

Edited by Codger

Thanks to everyone - yes Mr C - my good lady has her feet up right now.

I've spent a good lump of time last night and this morning trimming and sanding the rear body half.

It doesn't look as if I've done much but care has to be taken to get the sides symmetrical and sanded equally. The plastic is only 1mm thick so at this stage the shell is quite floppy.

It will get bracing etc, and when the sills and firewall go in it should be nice and stiff.

Roy.

P1012557_zpswbjsw5qp.jpg

P1012559_zpshdykfcm9.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Just a bit more.

The sills have been trimmed and fitted and I've started smoothing and sanding the bonnet section.

Lots to go before I add a floor/chassis panel.

Hopefully after that, things should move along a little more quickly.

Also - now decided - The Stirling Moss car from 1958.

Roy.

-Stirling_Moss_Sieger-Silverstone-1958_z

P1012561_zpsndkovyek.jpg

P1012560_zpsuycr2pme.jpg

P1012562_zpsrloyrvik.jpg

P1012563_zpskfoppreb.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 4

Thanks guys. I'll do my best on the panel fit... :banghead:

I've cut out the engine cover opening and added a lip around the hole for the panel sit into.

Eventually, the panel will be removable, but so will the entire front end as per the actual cars.

I'm currently adding support strips all over the body parts inside where they will never show, to give the shell more rigidity.

Roy.

P1012565_zps1gfwxqyn.jpg

P1012566_zpscezamhqc.jpg

P1012567_zpsjtzemxpr.jpg

P1012568_zpswzpxcmv6.jpg

P1012569_zpsmnapxp2f.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Roy,

Great start and I'm looking forward to more progress.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning it but if your're modelling the car pictured it has the long sweep front wheel arches, which I believe were only used on some of the Lister works cars. Probably not to much of a problem to extend them further back using a bit of filler.

Sorry to bring it up, gazza l

Hello G.

No worries - all observations and advice gratefully received.

I'm probably going to stick with the shape as-is, as it was created from 3D data supplied by Lister cars themselves even though the original Moss car was a bit different.

There were quite a few variations among the cars back in the '50's but Lister have just released a limited run of 10 cars built to 'Moss specification' and that's the data they gave me, from which my 3D master was printed.

If you have any other info though, or pictures I'd love to see them just to note the differences.

That's what forums are all about.

Great stuff.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 3

I'm on to body prep now.

The engine cover has internal bracing added and the whole shell has had liberal amounts of white putty and sanding.

The first grey primer coat is just so that I can see the imperfections and what needs further work.

There will be many more primer coats and wet sanding before any top paint is considered.

Also, the floor and firewall will need making next anyway

Roy.

P1012573_zpslusjpjs1.jpg

P1012575_zpslyvqkfcr.jpg

P1012574_zpseu8huqqd.jpg

P1012576_zpsg47dizq7.jpg

P1012577_zpso0wuvxaz.jpg

• Like 2

I'm on to body prep now.

The engine cover has internal bracing added and the whole shell has had liberal amounts of white putty and sanding.

The first grey primer coat is just so that I can see the imperfections and what needs further work.

There will be many more primer coats and wet sanding before any top paint is considered.

A very excellent point stated by Roy; for those seeking above-average paint and finish, these time-consuming steps are vital. This is reflected (pun intended) by all his excellent paint jobs.

There are no short-cuts for great paint...

• Like 1

roy.

the mod to the bonnet arches were called anti-lift fairings, invented i think by ecurie ecosse. which gave an improvement to the aerodynamics, they were formed and simply riveted over the existing panels, i am sure you will find the detail on the CD, on the ecurie ecosse car. some prefer original shape. my opinion is, the later shape looks better, but both are true profiles.

Many thanks guys.

I'm keeping to this shape as it's the current spec they are building the cars now and was the original shape back in the '50's.

The longer swept front arches do look nice though.

I've now added a floor panel as per the factory spec and have constructed the main chassis from ally and brass tube, ally and brass section and some plastic bits.

I always make my chassis parts in metal so they can support the model well when its all built.

Grey primer at present but will be grey gloss.

Back to the C Type for a while I think.

Roy.

P1012589_zpswymoj2xz.jpg

P1012591_zpsfqp5hnl1.jpg

P1012606_zpsk6dq1jsm.jpg

P1012607_zpshhqr0hou.jpg

P1012608_zpswpawykkt.jpg

P1012609_zpsavoi9mkj.jpg

P1012610_zpsbmmc7ado.jpg

P1012611_zpscprlbarh.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 4