Airfix HO/OO Signal Box (03610-0)

davecov

My build of the Airfix HO/OO Signal Box (03610-0)
Signal_Box_GB_2016_062.JPG

Signal_Box_GB_2016_063.JPG

Signal_Box_GB_2016_060.JPG

Signal_Box_GB_2016_061.JPG

Signal_Box_GB_2016_064.JPG

Signal_Box_GB_2016_065.JPG

Signal_Box_GB_2016_066.JPG

Apparently, the Oakham signal box was the subject of the Airfix kit although having looked at photos of the real thing there were quite a few differences in the detail and it may well be that the Airfix kit is an amalgam of different boxes. Having said that, I still used the paper Oakham name boards that came with the kit, although on the board above the levers, I put "Buggleskelly" in tribute to Will Hay and "Oh, Mr Porter!".

I used the Ratio Signal Box Interior Set (553) for most of the internal detailing although I added the floor, picture and notice board on the wall. The fire buckets were from Bachmann, handrails were made from plastic rod and glazing was made from acetate and white decal striping. I also added two windows to the side of the lower level and extended the drainpipe from the guttering.

I have never owned a railway layout either running or static but I always think it is about time to make one. Although I have made about five or six Airfix trains during my lifetime, I have never made any of the Airfix layout accessories. This is the first of about 40 Airfix/Dapol/Wills railway kits I currently have in my stash and if the rest are as enjoyable as this one, then I am a lucky boy! I just wish I had "discovered" railway modelling years ago!

Dave

• Like 15

Hi Dave,

That is one sweet build and a cracker to look at! Nice job!

I think I built this about 40, (or sooooooooo), years ago and remember it being a nice model. I might just have to look up some of these for a bit of golden nostalgia.

Looking forward to seeing the others.

Christian, exiled to the armpit of the globe

• Like 1

Wonderful! The last time I built that kit I didn't bother with an accurately detailed interior but yours is a masterpiece. Just needs a 'News of the World' on the table to finish it off!

Mind you, mine didn't need signal frames etc as the roof lifted off to reveal the 'signal box' was actually the launch pad for Thunderbird 1.

In my defence, I was only 8...

• Like 3

That's really rather nice. Reminds me of the old signal box at Horden (don't know if it's still there). In winter there was always an open coal fire on the go and looked rather snug inside. Lots of big levers in there.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...