Triumph GT6+

Time to revive this thread, got into a major build slump a couple of years ago but now I am back at it.

Got the engine mostly built and started to apply putty to the body. This is the first time I build a car where the body consists of multiple pieces (not counting doors, hood and trunk) and it was not easy gluing everything straight but I think it turned out ok . The body needs more putty and sanding but it is getting there. What almost kills the build for me though is the previously mentioned size of the front window. I don't know how to fabricate a new glass for the front window which means I am stuck with the current one. The cars on the box look great but the actual kit is a different story.

b3d.jpg_l.jpg

e14.jpg_l.jpg

48f.jpg_l.jpg

8c6.jpg_l.jpg

c02.jpg_l.jpg

e67.jpg_l.jpg

0c0.jpg_l.jpg

dc0.jpg_l.jpg

012.jpg_l.jpg

I have not decided on a body color yet but Wedgewood/Powder blue was popular last time around so I might just go with that. As for the interior I don't want another tan one so I will have to look up what other options there are.

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 5

If you fit a driver don't forget to give him burnt feet! 😂

A friend of mine had a GT6 and a Spit, I had an MGB roadster. My feet were toast in this bloody thing!

Ian

Good to see this back. 

That front window though? Looks like they used the rear one from something else.

Can you do that? Cut down a windscreen from another model?

Find some clear plastic from packaging?

The rear of the side windows is too square also.

Yeah it is terrible. I have decided I need to try to make new windows, the front one looks so bad it is the first thing I am going to notice everytime I look at the finished car otherwise. The side windows as you say are too square and appear to go all the way up to the gutter (the correct word?) on the real car. I found 0.3mm acetate sheets at the local hobby shop I am thinking I might be able to use them. 

triumph-spitfire-02-c95191df.jpg

https://www.classicargarage.com/archives/triumph-gt-6-mk-ii-1968

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 2

Yes, those are the rain gutters.

I wish you luck with the windscreen.

I'd say the quarterlight frames are too thick on the doors.

The model is of the American version so has side repeater lights which were not on the UK version.

I found this link for pictures for you

https://www.google.com/search?q=triumph+gt6+mk2&safe=strict&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB757GB758&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihpeTCwpjfAhUlt3EKHROPCpQQsAR6BAgCEAE

4 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'd say the quarterlight frames are too thick on the doors.

Agree will need to try fixing that as well. Guess I have a lot to do during the Christmas holidays. :)

There are probably plenty of other things wrong with this model but at the end of the day I am happy they made the kit and I will do my best to correct the biggest mistakes.

• Like 2

Many years back I made a replacement screen for a Fujimi 911 cabriolet, I think I used the thin acetate that is used for overhead projector slides (do they still exist?). I'm sorry that's not really much help but I can't really remember much about making it, other than it was actually fairly straightforward to do, and if I could do it I'm pretty certain anyone can!

Keith

That Wedgwood blue GT6 is a bit flash compared to original.  The revolution alloys are nicer on these cars than minilites I think, but I liked the cosmics I had on my spit.  I perpetrated the union flags near the bonnet catches too!  Under the hood it's all a bit prissy, though that rocker cover is a Sid Hurrell pattern (SAH) so may be genuine period?

Hey, thanks for the restart!

I didn't notice this WIP before.

Very interesting... I also stored this kit in my stash. I will follow you and looking forward to get some ideas for the build.

Concerning the wheels, I also love these Revolution rims, Comics wheels are also a tasty choice.  I had 6 Inch wide ones on one of my Classic Minis. Unfortunaly no one produced these ones so far in 1/24.

Hope you will keep on building this tiny Coupe

Cheers Marco F

• 2 weeks later...

Added some putty on the a pillars as there are no gutters going down them like I got after gluing the different body pieces together. I also drew roughly where I am to cut to make the windscreen bigger, next time you see a photo of the body it is either ruined or more like the real car.

IMG_1123.JPG

• Like 4

AHH, Lindberg. i bought a lindberg F104 star-fighter. it was soooo bad i never bothered with it, truly awful.

good luck with the windscreen. as long as its not too curved it should be fine. if it IS curved you may need to source some 0.005" clear styrene. evergreen do it.

its what i had to use on a 250 GTO that had all the windows missing, and even then i couldnt fit it perfectly due to the curve....

It is a Pyro kit originally but yeah I know what you mean. The windscreen and side windows are very off especially the first. If you look at the photo of the box I posted earlier you see that the windows have been corrected or it is a different model. I wasn't actually pleased when I opened the box and looked at the body parts. But since I am a big fan of old British cars and there isn't a whole lot to choose from in this scale I still wanted to build it I just have to try to fix the biggest errors to the best of my ability. 

• Like 1

i looked at the box pic... i googled the gt6... and  the windscreen on the model looks like neither!! 😲

Good luck sorting it out, im sure you will.

Interesting project: I look forward to seeing this come along. Lindberg seem to have generally got the look right but that windscreen is weird. It's like they didn't look at that part of the car. It looks more like a Mini or a Frogeye Sprite! Good luck with that fix :)

I have managed to cut out the new bigger hole for the windscreen, next step is to sand and apply putty until everything is nice and even. Unfortunately as can be seen in the photos I managed to crack the body (at the same place on both sides), should have glued in the firewall before cutting because the body is very flexible in the front right now.

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

• Like 1