777-300er conversion to 777F

Hi all,

I was wondering if it was possible to convert a 777-300er from zvezda to a 777F which I believe is the frieghter version of a 777-200LR.

I know I would have to cut it down but I am unsure how many frames and if that is the only difference between them

You'll also need a pair of replacement engines. The -200 doesn't use the '300ER's GE-90s. Luckily Bra.z has all 3 varieties that other 777s wear (look about 3/4 the way down the page). Check your references to make certain you get the engines for the subject you're modelling. They're listed as "future release" right now, so you can get all the rest of your conversion work done and out of the way :)

You may also need to modify the wing tips to the non-raked configuration.

The B777-200-F retains the raked wingtips of the -300, as well as the beefed up GE-90-115 engines as found on the -300.

The only thing you'll need to do to make a cargo hauler is cut down the fuselage to the length of the -200. Have a look on

page 30 of this Boeing document for length differences.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/acaps/777_23.pdf

Alan

• Like 3

Thanks for the information I just looked and was thinking of a Lufthansa cargo, looks like it uses the GE-90 that come with zvezda and the raked wing tips just fuselage that needs the work.

What would be the best way to cut the fuselage as straight as possible ?

Jackson

The 777F has commonality with the -200LR, so radioguy is correct.

What would be the best way to cut the fuselage as straight as possible ?

Jackson

Really simple - if you have a flexible metal rule, just place it around the fuselage at the cut point and make sure it overlaps completely square. Mark a few index points in pen, then apply dymo tape around the markings. Scribe a pilot cut with a sharp scriber along the edge of the tape, remove the tape and then carefully cut round using a razor saw.

If you have no metal rule, use a sheet of paper - just be sure the edges are perfectly square before you make your mark.

Al

Edited by Alan P

Hi Jackson,

I was working on this conversion a few weeks ago, only difference being on the passenger 200LR version.

You must remove 10 windows forward and 9 windows aft the wing.

I do not want to risk polluting your topic with my photos, therefore I prefer to ask if you would like the link to my WIP 777-200LR ? There are a few photos explaining where I made the cuts.

Enjoy, it is such a wonderful kit, of a magnificent airliner.

You mean after it's been cut into sections? The most popular methods involve backing up the cuts on the inside either with segments of sprue down the long axis of the model, or with sheet plastic curled into the inside curvature of the fuselage. In the case of cutting a model shorter, you've got an excellent source of scrap plastic with just the right curvature you need sitting on your work bench right beside your saw :)

For the sprue method, glue the fuselage halves to each other, glue in shortish lengths of straight sprue in the top, bottom and sides of the fuselage section, allowing about half their length to protrude out so they can be slid into the next section of fuselage and hold everything straight.

The sheet plastic method is done before gluing the fuselage halves together. Match the cut edges and then cut a piece of plastic sheet (or scrap section of the offcut fuselage parts suitably trimmed to fit). Line up the top and bottom edges of the fuselage carefully and make sure you're not going to introduce a curvature. Fit the plastic sheet in place and apply glue. Once it's dry, check to make certain nothing's gone wonky and that all is straight and true. Then proceed to the next cut and repeat the process.

Here's something I did a few years back which illustrates my favourite technique.

Hi yes that would be great thanks I would like all the information and help I can get

Jackson

Jackson,

Here is the link of my (slow progressing) WIP, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999216-boeing-777-200lr-from-zvezda/

Tomorrow Friday afternoon I will be able to provide you with the exact cut measurements, should you need them.

I also plan doing a 777F, in the great F** *x Panda scheme.

Jackson,

The sections you need to remove are :

- forward section, 37.0mm anywhere between the forward cargo door and the wing

- aft section, 33.3mm anywhere between the wing and the aft cargo door

I suggest you base your forward cut on the recessed panel joint between door 1 and 2, that is between windows 12 and 13. Then with the help of a steel ruler, because it is precise, mark the fuselage with a sharp blade 37mm back, like every 5mm. Once you have done it on the whole fuselage circumference, use either old Dymo tape, because it is thick and will allow your fine saw to lean against, or use regular masking tape to delimit the section to be sawn off. In case of the later choice, saw at least 1mm from the tape edge so you have enough dough should anything go wrong.

For the aft cut, it is the same principle but you will have to start from the recessed panel joint between the wing trailing edge and door 4, that is between windows 18 and 19. Again, mark the fuselage 8mm back every 5mm, to get over the wing/fuselage fairing. Once you have done it on the whole fuselage circumference, use old Dymo or masking tape to draw a theoretical line. Then again mark the fuselage from this theoretical line but this time 33.3mm back every 5mm. Once you have done it on the whole fuselage circumference, you have your 2nd section ready to be delimited and sawn off.

There are many successful methods but this is the one I prefer as I believe it allows a very good fuselage cylindricity control, it will not end up wavy because when you assemble your forward/center/aft fuselage sections, you do it on a flat surface. It is also possible to assemble and glue the original fuselage, then you saw off the tube sections and glue back everything but in this case I find it very difficult to maintain the fuselage cylindricity.

I hope that helps.

Cheers !

Edited by UpperDeck