Canopies and PE

Bernie Mac

So I have heard and remember the terrible side effects of using superglue with canopies and clear parts.

With this in mind can anybody recommend a better way of glueing PE to canopies...I have heard whispers of using gloss varnish and I am sure if the part is light enough it should go fine but wonder has anybody else got a different method?

If you coat the canopy with Klear (or similar) that should stop the fogging taking place. You could also attach the parts with Klear.

Gloss varnish may be an alternative but might be a bit thin.

My favourite is Gator acrylic glue.

Nick

• Like 1

You could try Glue n Glaze.

The bloke I bought if off at the Telford model fair last year said it was good for clear & PE.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/making-crystal-windows-bonding-canopies/dp/B00TQWMGG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466511191&sr=8-2&keywords=glue+n+glaze'>https://www.amazon.co.uk/making-crystal-windows-bonding-canopies/dp/B00TQWMGG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466511191&sr=8-2&keywords=glue+n+glaze

Had no problems with it on clear parts so far & holds really well, I havent tried it on PE yet.

Wayne.

If you coat the canopy with Klear (or similar) that should stop the fogging taking place. You could also attach the parts with Klear.

Gloss varnish may be an alternative but might be a bit thin.

My favourite is Gator acrylic glue.

Nick

Hi Nick - I definitely would consider it but can't seem to get my hands on any Klear/Future (still no idea which is US or UK). Tried in all the Tescos, Costcutters and Sainsburys in my area but no luck.

You could try Glue n Glaze.

The bloke I bought if off at the Telford model fair last year said it was good for clear & PE.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/making-crystal-windows-bonding-canopies/dp/B00TQWMGG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466511191&sr=8-2&keywords=glue+n+glaze

Had no problems with it on clear parts so far & holds really well, I havent tried it on PE yet.

Wayne.

Hi Wayne - This does sound like an interesting option alright, I would consider it...surely it would have a better bind then gloss varnish

This is a common problem, Glue 'n glaze, Gator grip glue super thin and possibly Microscale Kristal Klear are the three solutions we have of you don't want to dip the canopy.

Paul

Hi Paul - Thanks for summarizing, it definitely does like I may have to get my hands on another product. I might just try my hand with the gloss, I have some Humbrol Acrylic gloss that is gathering dust because I didn't think it sprayed as well as the Vallejo. Hopefully that might sort me out failing that I may opt for the glue n glaze route.

Thanks all for the help!

To stick larger pe to canopies on modern jets (canopy framing for example) I can recommend contact adhesive. I used it on my tornado build & it works great. Instant grip that doesn't let go. You just need to ensure its in the right place!