High speed silver & NMF

WildeSau75

Hi guys,

I am reading a lot about high speed silver and natural metal finish but get a bit confused.

Can one tell me what the right paint numbers are for High Speed Silver & NMF (Gunze, Tamiya, Vallejo Model Air or Alclad)

Sorry for this rather basic question but as said - the more I read, the more I get confused.

Thanks & regards,

Michael

High Speed Silver is purely a name given to a specific kind of RAF paint in the 1950s. The correct name of the colour was Aluminium, as before. Natural metal can vary a lot in colour, both from the specific alloy/metal begin used and how it has weathered. So in that sense there is no single Right Paint Number. That's one reason why Alclad (to name but one) offers a number of possibilities. There's such a wide range of possible paints available that it's no wonder you are getting confused: but any three modellers are likely to have four opinions upon which is the best, and for what. I suggest you just try one and see what you think of the result.

• Like 1

High Speed Silver is purely a name given to a specific kind of RAF paint in the 1950s. The correct name of the colour was Aluminium, as before. Natural metal can vary a lot in colour, both from the specific alloy/metal begin used and how it has weathered. So in that sense there is no single Right Paint Number. That's one reason why Alclad (to name but one) offers a number of possibilities. There's such a wide range of possible paints available that it's no wonder you are getting confused: but any three modellers are likely to have four opinions upon which is the best, and for what. I suggest you just try one and see what you think of the result.

Hi Graham - thanks - make sense. So high speed silver is aluminium - that's already answering 50% of my question. Which aluminum color are you using?

Cheers,

Michael

PS: Just noticed I posted this topic twice - sorry about that.

Brush or airbrush application? Tamiya's bottle silver (X-11) is too grainy when sprayed, at least IMO. Citadel Mithril Silver sprays well and works for Aluminium (I think the current name is Runefang Steel)

'High Speed Silver' was colloquial RAF shorthand for a painted aluminium finish applied using a fairly complex process - a high gloss finishing scheme to DTD 772 which included paints other than just aluminium. The aluminium paint required for the scheme was 'Finish, glossy aluminium - stores reference 33B/865' but as shown in the April 1949 document below other paint colours were also used as Naval aircraft were finished using the scheme.

DTD772-vi.jpg

Nick

• Like 3

'High Speed Silver' was colloquial RAF shorthand for a painted aluminium finish applied using a fairly complex process - a high gloss finishing scheme to DTD 772 which included paints other than just aluminium. The aluminium paint required for the scheme was 'Finish, glossy aluminium - stores reference 33B/865' but as shown in the April 1949 document below other paint colours were also used as Naval aircraft were finished using the scheme.

DTD772-vi.jpg

Nick

thanks Nick - rather interesting stuff.

Cheers,

Michael