P1000 Ratte Help

Seabo14

Hello all,

I have recently decided to build a P.1000 Ratte in 1/72 as part of my Luft 46 project, and any help would be very valuable, especially any plans of the main body. Also, 3 questions-

1. Why, on lots of ratte 'photos' are the rangefinder boxes deleted from the turret? Surely these would be even more needed on land?

2. I'm soon going to the London National Archives, if anyone can point me in the direction of any documents relating to german late war projects, that would be very useful.

3. To any German speaking Britmodellers, how would I say 'Ratte Group One' in german? I'm guessing Rattesgruppe Ein, but I'm not to sure on grammar.

Thanks in Advance,

Seabo14 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

No Problem

what do you need it for?

Well, I'm beginning to scratchbuild a big 1/72 P.1000 Ratte superheavy tank, and hopefully will make a small (comparatively!) diorama, with a 'Ratten gruppe' made up of recce, TDs, and AA, all (probably) stencilled with the writing.

Thanks,

Seabo14

No problem

Wouldnt it be better to write rat reccoinessence group one?

The 'Ratte group' will be a replaced regiment in a panzer division, for the whole unit, ratte, and support units.

And not to forget I am pretty interestef how it will turn out

Good luck with the scratch building

Thanks! I hope to do a WIP when I can source some more plasticard. I only have A4, so the hull won't fit.

Seabo14

1/72nd scale Ratte?

That's the one with battleship turrets isn't it?

Yikes!

Direct fire at everything.

Right through that city block...

Pretty much! The turrets will probably be first, due to them fitting on an a4 sheet of plasticard. I don't yet know if I'm going to crew it with Kriegsmarine or panzer troops, currently leaning towards panzer for driving and overall command, Luftwaffe for the AA and AOP gyro (more on this later!) and Kriegsmarine for armaments.

Edited by Seabo14

And for the figures take a look at the zvezda figures with just 4-5 poses per pack.

they're pretty cheap, their poses good (so the detail) and they're also made out of (poly-)styrene

why don't you buy a Meng Models P1000 Ratte for reference, to scale up from 1:144 to 1:72. Then when you're done with it sell the unmade kit.

• Like 1

why don't you buy a Meng Models P1000 Ratte for reference, to scale up from 1:144 to 1:72. Then when you're done with it sell the unmade kit.

Well he has pretty much free space building it 'cause in the widest sense it's a what if isn't it?

But still good idea

To the first question you made:

Could it be that the blueprints are/were very rough so not every detail was minded? I assume you mean those computer rendered pictures/models or?

it's a Takom kit Andy :)

Seeing as it was a paper project that didn't really progress far, it would be fair to say that the world is your lobster when it comes to the details. I've seen various configurations in passing, especially with regard to the "secondary" armament, from Maus turrets to AA emplacements, so I think you'd be well within your rights to do whatever you wanted regarding the targeting, armament and even the engine deck layout, as they had a couple of ideas about that too. 2 S-boot engines, or something like 6 or 8 smaller power plants. it's whiffy enough that no-one would be able to contradict what you built with any certainty really, unless you gave it a Wunderwaffe in each corner :shrug:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:22 PM, Levin said:

May i ask if you already have started building?

Apologies for the (very) late reply, I had defected to Whatifmodellers for a while, and this got shelved. Spurred on by your comment though, I've picked back up on it! The turret roof is being finished, and I've built 2 80mm guns. Did I mention I was going to add a limited interior? Just the turret front, driving compartment, motorbike bay and medical room. I've inquired to Italeri about some wheels from their tiger ausf e kit, the wheels are a perfect fit. Part sourcing almost done, I'll post a WIP after I hear back from Italeri. ;)

Thanks

Seabo14;)

• Like 1

Haha,

I had a look at the armorama Ratte about 2 years ago, his progress is amazing, wodering if he is going to add an extra room to his house^^.

Good luck with your 1/72 version, super idea, always interesting to have people tackle these odd topics.

/Stefan

1 hour ago, AgentG said:

Yeah, in my pre-build research I did notice that build. A very impressive build, but it would be around a meter long, without even the guns! Luckily with mine I can focus much less on the structural elements, and more on the interior :D I forgot to mention, since this build started I have acquired a 3D printer (the M3D micro, highly recommended for any large parts, although the detail isn't quite up to much) And have now got 2 280mm guns printed, and 1 1/2 wirbelwinds for it. Once I've progressed a little with the turret, enough for pictures, the WIP should be up.

On 17.11.2016 at 08:30, Seabo14 said:

Apologies for the (very) late reply, I had defected to Whatifmodellers for a while, and this got shelved. Spurred on by your comment though, I've picked back up on it! The turret roof is being finished, and I've built 2 80mm guns. Did I mention I was going to add a limited interior? Just the turret front, driving compartment, motorbike bay and medical room. I've inquired to Italeri about some wheels from their tiger ausf e kit, the wheels are a perfect fit. Part sourcing almost done, I'll post a WIP after I hear back from Italeri. ;)

Thanks

Seabo14;)

Oh, don't worry about the late reply -  I also need to go on with my B-29 sometime soon

I'm getting very excitited to see what you have done so far; sounds great, especially the 3D-printer sounds interesting (and promising)

Greetings Levin