Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

So for something different for a change, I looked for a figure of everyone's favourite Great Old one, Cthulhu!

Reaper Miniatures came up trumps with a 6" tall vinyl figure:

DSC_5805.JPG

The main body is cast in solid cream-coloured vinyl and there are 8 pieces in all: body, tail, 2 x arms, 2 x wing wings, head and base. The detail is superb and the mould lines are minimal. The tail and arms fit together very well - the arm sockets are keyed so they only fit in the correct orientation and the tail has a well formed plug that fits into the socket at the rear (ooerr!). I had to use only a very small amount of Mr Dissolved Putty to fill some small gaps in the joints and when that was all set, a sharp scalpel was used to pare down any overlap on the joint and any spare putty.

From there, the next stage was to was in soapy water and then prime, which is when I remembered to take the next photos!

DSC_5819.JPG

This is the body with tail and arms attached

DSC_5820.JPG

The head with some well detailed tentacles, which have tiny suckers moulded undernath each one

DSC_5821.JPG

The wings, one side has a sort of pebble-dashed texture while the other is smooth with veiny ridges

DSC_5822.JPG

That showed me that the joints were well covered and so we could move onto the first stage of painting. For this I wanted a "diseased" yellow sort of colour for the undersides so chose XF4- Yellow-green. Next for the uppser surfaces I wanted a base coat of a sickly green, so mixed XF-4 with XF-5 Matt Green and some XF-21 Sky to get a sort of pale snotty green

DSC_5823.JPG

DSC_5824.JPG

DSC_5825.JPG

DSC_5826.JPG

DSC_5827.JPG

DSC_5828.JPG

In the background you can see the base - it has a depression for the right foot and a raised plinth for the left which has some eldritch writing carved into the surface. I'll use a wash to bring those out later...

I accept no responsibility for insanity caused by viewing a Great Old One ;)

• Like 12

Looking good! Or is my mind melting beneath the onslaught of the purid coruscating hideousness before me....

Christian, exiled to africa with his Lovecraft

• Like 3

Good Afternoon :bye:

Excellento...

Played the Cthulhu Role Playing Game in my mispent yufe, and a big fan of Lovecraft :thumbsup:

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

Me too!

Christian, exiled to africa

I still do occasionally! I bought the Horror on the Orient Express mega boxed set for my Xmas pressie last year - awesome looking campaign that one of these days I might get a chance to run with my friends...

Currently my gaming group are playing something called "The Strange" which definitely lives up to its name!

I still do occasionally! I bought the Horror on the Orient Express mega boxed set for my Xmas pressie last year - awesome looking campaign that one of these days I might get a chance to run with my friends...

Currently my gaming group are playing something called "The Strange" which definitely lives up to its name!

Oh hell its been years since I've played and Dm'd. We ended up with Twilight 2000, Cyberpunk etc and even the good old solid AD&D.

Good, fun times, really miss it.

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

• Like 2

Spent a lot of time playing CoC myself.

Nothing like arming the party with tommyguns and then driving them insane!

Man is indeed the greatest monster... :evil_laugh:

I have that Cthulhu figgie on the shelf here at the shop but this is the first build I've seen.

I shall be following this with a great deal of horror and trepidation....

<save vs insanity minus10> :shocked:

Q

• Like 1

Eldritch indeed! I believe that colour is 'Ichor Green', which sadly is no longer available in the Humbrol line because it was reputed to cause a most singular sort of insanity.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

"A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind."

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn ("In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.")

The horror from the deep has awakened and is ready to stalk your nightmares and inflict us all with eldritch dread! The Starts are Right and Case Nightmare Green is upon us!

SAN checks!!!

DSC_5841.JPG

DSC_5840.JPG

DSC_5839.JPG

DSC_5834.JPG

DSC_5833.JPG

DSC_5832.JPG

DSC_5838.JPG

I wonder if I'll be abel to sleep tonight and if I do... will I be able to wake up again!!!!!

• Like 12