Oh those stencils! Hawk T1A 1/72

Hi Again fellow modellers,

it's been a few months since I posted on this forum; the last build being consigned to the 'shelf of doom'. So here goes with Airfix's rendition of a BAe Hawk Mk 1, I've built one before but it was the previous moulding, lacking in detail. I'm pleased with the result but there were a few headaches with fit on this kit: wing section needed filing down to fit , engine nacelles required filling, etc.

Paint is Alclad Black Primer. which I found out is a bit of a dust magnet !!

I may have 'overdone' the wing nav. lights a tad. :oops:

Undercarraige was also a pain, does anyone have the same trouble as me with wheels/tyres??

Oh and those bl**dy tiny stencils..........took me about three hours in total to decal. :mental:

And how do you reproduce the white(?) seal round the main canopy?

Anyway all comments appreciated.

Next up: Revell 1/48 Bf109F

3P9IiRI4Xts4XhflkerUk_DuY4cc0ntekkV_IeY7

KAV05yomg-e-mONm_yUXOl8VcV2QA3Q9_thVNfse

h0LiehOHHmjfQXDyfFBy6lTxIcEKNbRB1BvUV3Fi

VYCmzswbnxCm84dFD-aPwjvxQx-SxHaSbu1YS02B

JwdhDBmPQoXgNDB2iPmH14ms2fj9LExNG_Gh5wz-

qIO4RgH49Fmhs2QFbZLAsJW07_j73PmFiCpM45V0

U-PxPjhz8zZrCtJGz_Vp_LEsUsc-9zJL65ujdGOT

Edited by Saddler
Photobucket !!!!
  • Like 22

Really nice piece of work. Regarding the thin white lines around the cockpit fantasy print shop do some really thin white line decals. That modelling fun putting those on too.

Regards

David

Slick as a wet midnight. Or something. Anyway, that is a seriously glossy piece of modelling goodness. Excellent work Saddler: your patience with the decals is certainly worth it. Bravo!

Tony

One way I do sealing strips around the canopy is to run a very thin strip of masking tape along the canopy leaving a tiny gap twixt frame and edge of tape. Paint said gap with colour required. Other methods are available and possibly a lot easier.

Thanks again all, I would also like to do a Hawker Hunter in this scheme(I believe it did exist) there does seem a lack of 1/72 Hunter kits out there though....come on Airfix time for a new tool version :winkgrin:

I assume you mean the Hunters of the 'Black Arrows' display team from 111 Squadron from the late 1950's? If you can find the Revell kit, Xtradecal did a sheet of Hunter markings that included one of their aircraft

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice piece of work. Regarding the thin white lines around the cockpit fantasy print shop do some really thin white line decals. That modelling fun putting those on too.

Regards

David

Good idea !! I think I have some plain white lines from Hannants.......could try them on my 1/48 FRAD Hawk :yahoo: