1/48 Hobby boss A-10 Thunderbolt II

Coming along nicely! Does anyone make 30mm round for that? A load of 30mm would look great with all the excellent work you have already done. :evil_laugh:

• Like 1

Once again thank you for your support. I haven't done much this week due to real life but only one more day until the weekend and I am hoping to get some paint on the gun bay and pit.

Cheers

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Anthony,

Great work on that A-10 of yours. I've been collecting together material for my own build at some point in the near future but you have opened my eyes up to some additional 'stuff' I may need to get. My motivation to start this build was boosted yesterday by spending a large part of the day watching A-10s 'up close and personal'. I was lucky enough to see the guys from the 303rd FS at Whiteman do some austere landing qualifications on a highway here in Estonia from less than 100ft away before heading up to the range to see them churn up the countryside with that 30mm gun of theirs !. Very impressive and just the right thing to get me started.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all, well after real life stuff (work) been really hectic and stressful for the past 6 months, I have finally got back to modelling about 2 weeks ago. Not much to show as I have been deepening the rivets which is time consuming but hopefully worthwhile in the painting stage. I have also been working on the pit. Apologies for the pics, I really need a better camera.

012_zpspls91u9k.jpg

I lost a tiny resin piece for the rudder pedals so made some replacements from brass rod

002_zps7c7rmmx8.jpg

001_zpssgrfsfue.jpg

The office

016_zpsvvbvdb30.jpg

014_zpsj1e7vkj8.jpg

cheers

• Like 4

Stunning so far!! Just luv the A10. Was sat on a beach in Norfolk last summer with my kids when I heard a noise. Looked skywards and was treated to 7 A10's with an KC135. Looked great but tinged with a little sadness as had the feeling that it would be the last time I ever saw one in the air. Keep up the good work

• Like 1

Thanks Calum!

Simon, yes I think the A-10 still has a place in today's battlefields and is a troop saver. I hope it is only replaced by a new gen version of the same plane with the same features such as the avenger gun and the payload, it's survivability and low alt capabilities.

5 hours ago, drizzt73 said:

Thanks Calum!

Simon, yes I think the A-10 still has a place in today's battlefields and is a troop saver. I hope it is only replaced by a new gen version of the same plane with the same features such as the avenger gun and the payload, it's survivability and low alt capabilities.

Not sure that will ever happen. The USAF brass have never liked the Hog. Latest I'd read was that they were looking to use the F35 in the same role?!?

• 6 months later...
On 1/22/2017 at 11:27 AM, Simon382 said:

Stunning so far!! Just luv the A10. Was sat on a beach in Norfolk last summer with my kids when I heard a noise. Looked skywards and was treated to 7 A10's with an KC135. Looked great but tinged with a little sadness as had the feeling that it would be the last time I ever saw one in the air. Keep up the good work

Simon,

Happy to report the A-10C Thunderbolt is still going strong over here in Europe. Estonia is hosting 10 jets from the Maryland ANG for their two-week annual deployment and there is no sign of an imminent withdrawal from Service....Looks like the USAF leadership have listened to their US Army and USMC colleagues and decided against early retirement. The recent mission markings on most of the jets deployed here this week bear out their continued utility. You can see more of my photos over on the 'Aviation Photography' forum but here's a taster.

36501449055_44f2b2045a_h.jpg

36471195556_fc21704345_h.jpg

• Like 1