1/48 Hobby boss A-10 Thunderbolt II

Hi all,

First a bit of a story. The A-10 has been my favourite plane since I first discovered it as an early teen in the mid 80s. I built the monogram A-10 (black boxing) in the late 80s and I guess have been planning this build ever since. Realistically I have been collecting "stuff" for about 7 or 8 years for this and a couple of other A-10 builds.

I have been pushing this build back for years partly because I want to this plane justice and have been a little daunted by building what will be my personal "piece de resistance", and the other being acquiring the decals I wanted which I now have thanks to Jake Melampy's recent A-10 sheet.

More recently I have had a break from modelling for nearly 12 months and what better way to get back on the bandwagon that this project. I started this build about 1 month ago and I am taking my time, but will back track with some pics from the very start.

So here is what I have:-

A couple of kits, I am using one of the Hobby Boss.

011_zpspkqhlkhq.jpg

012_zpsqs12tkzg.jpg

Most of the "stuff"

013_zpskmkfq4xn.jpg

Assorted weapons, True Details and Royal Resin Wheels, Cross Delta formation lights.

016_zpsjcac8zzm.jpg

Eduard Big Ed set which is packed with PE, and Remove before flight tags

015_zpsqnoqxhbr.jpg

Sierra Hotel Fans and A-10 update set (really want another couple of fan sets), Master barrels, Black Box cockpit set for the Revel (Monogram) A-10, Legend Aces II seat.

014_zpsu8kme3kt.jpg

Aires A-10 sets

017_zpsvs7jedu8.jpg

Shull24 A-10 upgrade set and various weapon sets

018_zpsvpbkc84v.jpg

Eduard Brassin assorted weapons sets - Don't think the A-10 used the GBU-24?

019_zps8hjiudr6.jpg

Assorted decals

020_zpsrwn5mslo.jpg

I will be using Jake's Sheet since I pestered him to produce these I better use them :)

022_zpsmvh1wgsa.jpg

I want to do a Euro1 scheme plane and really like the Warthog nose on the Barksdale hogs so will be doing this plane

023_zpsv7hfz2me.jpg

024_zpsivwe56ag.jpg

And finally reference material

026_zpsoqnkdk55.jpg

And the bible

027_zpso6r1anfa.jpg

And so it begins...

Where else would you start an A-10 build but with the mighty GAU-8/A Avenger cannon :)

The first thing I did was added some lead shot to the ammo drum, 34g to be precise

IMG_4866_zpspsrixksy.jpg

IMG_4864_zpszze7misn.jpg

IMG_4867_zpses8owpvz.jpg

I then started on removing some of the kit plastic in preparation for some of the Eduard gun PE

IMG_4868_zpsyno6qyen.jpg

IMG_4869_zps7oq3efso.jpg

IMG_4870_zps1myyhcds.jpg

PE ready for folding. I am using various tools including tweezers and an Etch mate 3C with is very handy.

IMG_4872_zpsmjzsntbk.jpg

IMG_4875_zps2ntkoauc.jpg

and installed onto the kit plastic

IMG_4877_zpsspuqnvrp.jpg

a little more PE and it is coming together nicely

IMG_4880_zpsuyelfqty.jpg

IMG_4882_zpsqxo2mfpl.jpg

IMG_4883_zpsm7mmpryn.jpg

More to come

cheers

Anthony

• Like 10

I then built the main body of the gun

133_zpscvwqpxj9.jpg

I also spent some more time doing PE work for the gun

131_zps7fsxppgp.jpg

135_zpspr5dgfal.jpg

and together

143_zps6333fcaj.jpg

142_zps09fk4g5d.jpg

147_zpsu1qapdiz.jpg

141_zpsbovpgyzy.jpg

After completing the cannon I decided that since I would be showing off the underside of this plane, I would scratch build the gun bay- more on that later.

Because of this I needed to see where the Aires pit and front wheel bay would sit so I started cutting and sanding. As a lot of you already know this is an exercise of sanding to the point of see-through to get things to fit. After a lot of test fitting I think it will all fit nicely now.

I also had to remove the kit detail and thin the fuselage walls.

026_zpsli2alqrg.jpg

I ended up going through on the front of the pit but may not patch as it will not be visible.

032_zpshwlk5kf2.jpg

I had to remove a fair bit of the wheel bay

030_zpscbystahj.jpg

...and broke through again but this time it will be visible so I patched it with some plasticard

031_zps0ywumcbl.jpg

and the final result

029_zpsfqmprqc7.jpg

To accommodate the wheel bay I removed the kit details and some locator tabs.

003_zpsvlsy4d19.jpg

Some little things I've been working on-

I thinned these covers, which are staying on as I am depicting a pre-LASTE A-10

012_zpsl7tuyrxs.jpg

And added some mesh to the inside

018_zpsnduzqr6y.jpg

I removed the kit glare shield

027_zpsncykpxbw.jpg

028_zpsu1h5gwis.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks Nactwulf

I also started doing bits and pieces on the fuselage sides. A lot of this has been done before and I am referring to Jake's "bible" and also other build logs I have saved over the years.

Drilling the APU and ECU vents and relacing with metal tubes

024_zpsilszbis4.jpg

015_zpsaao27ucv.jpg

Which I puttied in for strength

025_zps6oyfjokf.jpg

I also drilled out the battery door vents and placed some thin tube to replicate these

019_zps5grcz0cl.jpg

Next is removing the kit AoA and scratching one up that is closer to the real thing.

Cheers and thanks for looking. Any comments are most welcome.

• Like 7

Thank you all for your support.

A few more small things done.

I changed the AoA to make it more like the real thing. I still need to add the indicator itself but this will be later as it will just get knocked off.

IMG_6102_zpsunwigc8q.jpg

I also moved the UHF/TACAN Antenna to its correct position and also made an ILS Marker.

IMG_6090_zpswovw5t8t.jpg

I sanded a bit too much when adding the APU exhaust and damaged the teardrop shaped panel so made a new one.

IMG_6088_zps5drj4qsv.jpg

fitted

IMG_6103_zpsuzhr5gxy.jpg

Next I started removed the kit GPS dome as my jet is too early to have this. I will fill with a disc later when the fuselage is joined.

IMG_6089_zpswlcnrvoc.jpg

And finally I painted the front wheel bay

IMG_6100_zpsjadunpga.jpg

IMG_6101_zpsyyjb7exz.jpg

IMG_6096_zps2jcln6s2.jpg

IMG_6093_zpsxk1vlddh.jpg

These Aires resin wheel bays have some very nice detail and even includes the steel weights used to balance the centre of gravity depending on the ammo load for the avenger cannon.

IMG_6095_zpsvfgtmo06.jpg

thanks for looking

Anthony

Edited by drizzt73
  • Like 9

Anthony, one thing to watch out for before it is too late in the build...

When I was working on my HB A-10 ( no, it's not finished!) I noticed that after attaching the wings to the fuselage it had some dihedral to the center section of the wing which it should not have. Now I readily admit this could have been something I had done wrong,but for the life of me I could not see where I had done anything to cause it. Anyway please do yourself a big favor and test fit the wings before it becomes an issue. :frantic:

Superb workmanship!

Also, thanks for such wonderfully detailed posts.

Gene K

Thank you Gene. I will try to be as detailed as possible as I really enjoy other people's build logs and they can be of great benefit. I have learnt a lot from WIP/ build logs.

Cheers

Anthony, one thing to watch out for before it is too late in the build...

When I was working on my HB A-10 ( no, it's not finished!) I noticed that after attaching the wings to the fuselage it had some dihedral to the center section of the wing which it should not have. Now I readily admit this could have been something I had done wrong,but for the life of me I could not see where I had done anything to cause it. Anyway please do yourself a big favor and test fit the wings before it becomes an issue. :frantic:

Thanks mate, I will keep an eye on this. I have a fair bit of work to do on the wings including cutting them to add the Aires main gear bays so thanks for the heads up.

But what are the bananas for?

They are there just for scale :)

Hello all, so time for some more pics.

Once I finished painting the nose wheel bay I wanted to test fit it as I was concerned about the fit to the fuselage side and also the kit under piece (F3). My concerns were justified as it took a bit of fiddling to get it to sit neatly but once done I epoxy puttied it into place. I then glued F3 to the right fuselage. I am quite happy with the finished result.

185_zpscdfqrkp7.jpg

187_zpsbqbuvsxm.jpg

189_zps7riynxhp.jpg

I then started on the scratch gun bay which I mentioned earlier in the log.

I decided I would do side walls, the rear wall and even the top of the bay. It is still a work in progress and most won't be seen but it is there to represent something of a bay.

I started by folding some pieces that Eduard include on the bottom most section of the fuselage.

176_zpshr4zfzmd.jpg

179_zpsnvoq8s7e.jpg

180_zpsk1v1o5q6.jpg

I then made some plain plasticard wall. In this pic you can also see the wheel bay. I made sure to make sure the walls fitted within this and the pit.

190_zpsewcuefor.jpg

This is the left side, you can see the gun mounting points which I ensured are still useable.

191_zpspoue0peu.jpg

I then made the rear wall. The hole that is visible will be explained later.

192_zpsnei7ku3v.jpg

blue tacked into place

193_zpsydsn3qvv.jpg

And a test fit with the gun, again not a lot is visible but it will be better than the bare kit wall I think. Once it has all been painted I will take some better shots.

195_zps6revmwgg.jpg

196_zpsgsuupkrs.jpg

Finally I worked on the top of the bay

197_zpsy0g1jdwm.jpg

Any comments welcome. Thanks for looking

Anthony

• Like 5

After posting the above I thought I should do a test with the walls in place and then joining the fuselage halves and it all fits :yahoo::thumbsup:

The top sitting under the pit nicely

198_zpstqpruncx.jpg

200_zpsssnjv19e.jpg

199_zpsywxtwszv.jpg

and with the halves held together

204_zpswwjctxgc.jpg

205_zpsnel9h4z2.jpg

203_zpsgxp59ozl.jpg

Thanks again

Anthony

• Like 10