Revell HP Victor

Hi again Gazza,

you are indeed right about the chute hopper being the angled bit in the middle. Also the omega navigation fairing. I had the dubious pleasure of fitting the first one on to the K2 during the Falklands campaign along with the fittings along the airframe's interior whilst the Fairies (avionic tradesmen) fed in the cable to the aerial.

Your model is coming along nicely, if I may say so.

Bob

Hi again Gazza,

you are indeed right about the chute hopper being the angled bit in the middle. Also the omega navigation fairing. I had the dubious pleasure of fitting the first one on to the K2 during the Falklands campaign along with the fittings along the airframe's interior whilst the Fairies (avionic tradesmen) fed in the cable to the aerial.

Your model is coming along nicely, if I may say so.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

It's got me thinking... I should do a dio with you fitting the Omega unit or stamping on the brake chute trying to get in the hopper! :hmmm:

This is rapidly turning into a very special build indeed!

Martin

Thanks Martin,

Like the notoriously bad Airfix Vulcan kit I made last year, I'm really starting to enjoy this build, more so than the AMK Mig 31 I made earlier this year. I think I like the challenge of a difficult kit, rather than an easy build that I don't have to try too hard in order to achieve a decent result.

Cheers, gazza l

• Like 1

Evening all,

Managed to get a little more done today. I started correcting the centre line re-fueling pod housing, which is the wrong shape (far too wide), so I filled this with Miliput. Once this had hardened I sanded it out with some wet'n'dry wrapped around a wooden stick using the Fligthtpath photo etch as a template.

001_zpsds6ay8y8.jpg

I like to keep the sanding paper nice and wet as this keeps the dust down... the downside is that you end up with a white slurry!

002_zpsokeldlqr.jpg

That's a bit better, just a bit more shaping to the outside shape and to open the top, middle section.

003_zpsnctkigb8.jpg

• Like 8

Hi everyone,

The last couple of evenings I've been trying to improve the nose wheel bay. The kit provides you with absolutely nothing in the way of detail and also has some very bad seams that are almost impossible to clean up.

First up I lined the front, rear and top with plasticard which I had riveted and drilled various lightening holes in (these covered the bad fuselage join lines). I then fixed these in place with shims to pack out the gaps at the front and back... these are the things sticking up.004%203_zpsfceztisr.jpg

This left just the sidewalls to make and detail using fine copper wire.

005%205_zpsatjjgaye.jpg

Once these were fixed in place and a few extra structural details added it started to look a bit more busy in there. I finished by filling the remaining gaps with super glue/talc filler, once this has cured I will blend it in with a sanding stick and re-scribed any panel lines that I have destroyed.

Thanks for looking gazza l

006%206_zpswoxmgimt.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi every one,

After my holiday I'm back on it and the fuselage is almost complete, having been scribed, primed and various lumps and bumps added... now on with the wings.

Fuselage and tail complete... it looks like a submarine from a Jules Verne book!

Oceana%20018_zpsfvmytqkq.jpg

I've started on the main gear bays by removing the large lugs within.

Oceana%20019_zpsur6dydvq.jpg

I then made a template from paper and transferred this to some plasticard which will line the top surface.

Oceana%20020_zpsfetvc7xy.jpg

Port and starboard liners made to fit bays.

Oceana%20021_zpsqlrvvfmb.jpg

Some scribed surface detail added to the plasticard to represent the fluted sheet metal work seen in my reference shots plus the gear struts dry fitted. Oceana%20022_zpsqdykjsp7.jpg

• Like 9

Hi chaps,

I haven't progressed very much this week, too much other stuff going on at the moment but I have started the scary bit... cutting the wings up to accept the resin replacements.

Here goes, let the cutting commence!

001_zpshtrhzlcn.jpg

Too late now, no going back.

002_zps6q3fxeac.jpg

Finally a dry run and I'm pleasantly surprised, quite a good fit. Tomorrow evening same again with the port wing.

003_zpswcsjfoyh.jpg

• Like 11

Hi everyone,

More work on the wings, I decided to make some replacement jet pipes so the kit moulding had to be fettled back.

014_zpsdwnobdrf.jpg

More fettling with my trusty Dremel, to enlarge the aperture.

017_zpsm9i20ewm.jpg

Followed by taping the two halves together and reaming out the jet pipes with a 10.4mm reamer in a battery drill.

020_zpsiwupjkws.jpg

This is what I ended up with... most of the plastic removed, ready for the new jet pipes to be inserted once the wings are together. Just need to turn up a set of jet pipes now.

023_zps6vdnu3sf.jpg

Wings going together.

024_zpsgud2890l.jpg

Meanwhile the intakes have been primed and painted glossy white using some Akan paint left over from my Mig 31 Build.

022_zps7et6hukp.jpg

• Like 9

This evenings work:

After many hours fettling the resin intakes, they finally fitted the aperture. I've added a brass tube spar to add a little more strength.

001_zps2ubkv1im.jpg

Dry fitting with the original kit wing parts... not a bad fit.

002_zpstet0gzh9.jpg

I've also tried to correct the wing angle which is too low at the trailing edge, causing the carrot fairings and the wing tips to angle down ((I believe they should be parallel to the ground). To do this I dipped them in very hot water and tweaked and flexed them until they looked right.

003_zpsewrzi32v.jpg

Finally a dry fitting of all the wing parts. Looking much better but I might give them wings another tweak, also, I can appreciate the size of the model now!

004_zpsm0nv4dnx.jpg

Thanks for looking, gazza l

• Like 9

Now that it is taking shape, I can see the point with this huge aircraft: it looks both frightening yet elegant, monstrous yet beautiful, a bit like my ex girlfriend in fact, I like it :winkgrin:

Very good job so far, looking great!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, still a long way to go.

Now that it is taking shape, I can see the point with this huge aircraft: it looks both frightening yet elegant, monstrous yet beautiful, a bit like my ex girlfriend in fact, I like it :winkgrin:

Very good job so far, looking great!

I wouldn't like to meet her on a dark night if she resembles a Victor tanker!

Cheers, gazza l

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi chaps, it's been a while since I last posted.

I had a bit of a disaster whilst trying to bend the wings to a more horizontal level, the hot water that I was using to soften the plastic was a little too hot and the underside of the wing caved in! Rather than throw it at the wall I walked away from the project for a few weeks and came back this week with some new enthusiasm. The caved in wing was filled with lots of body filler (green area in the second photo) and now it almost looks as good as it did before.   

Photo-etch intake vanes in and painted, compressor blades on.

006_zpsuqrfm7my.jpg

Resin intakes attached and blended then re-scibed. (Note large area of body filler) 

005_zpsh50xgu4s.jpg

Ducts on the top of the wings being opened up.

003_zpsjtpesedk.jpg

Then shaped with a square needle file.

004_zpsnc7xb3cj.jpg

Outer wings test fitted, various strengthening strips added from .004" plasitc card. Ailerons fitted and filled with Super glue/ talc filler, sanded flush with

the wings then re-scribed.

001_zpsub5nqu00.jpg

Thanks for looking,  gazza l

• Like 10