Revell HP Victor

Further to what Steve said about ghost access hatches, there is also a duplicate of the back hatch on the starboard side of the kit that is not there in real life. On the real jet there is only one back hatch into what used to be the ECM bay, on the port side.

I spent 6 years working on XL231 at Elvington before moving on to another restoration project there, so if you need any reference pics just shout.

• Like 1

Further to what Steve said about ghost access hatches, there is also a duplicate of the back hatch on the starboard side of the kit that is not there in real life. On the real jet there is only one back hatch into what used to be the ECM bay, on the port side.

I spent 6 years working on XL231 at Elvington before moving on to another restoration project there, so if you need any reference pics just shout.

Thanks Blue_2, have you got any photos of the spare/jump seat?... all I can find is grainy B&W photo.

Thanks, gazza l

Gazza, the jump seat (or the imaginatively named 6th seat as it was better known!) is just the same as the 3 rear crew seats. It lives on a track between and behind the 2 pilots' seats,

Just looking through my pics for you. Firstly, the entrance step someone mentioned:

IMAG3451edit_zps58d99956.jpg

Main IP's

IMAG1643edit_zps69d38c31.jpg

Rear IP's

IMAG1635_zps88d9aa04.jpg

As to the seats, I appear to have studiously avoided getting them in my shots it seems!

130220112540.jpg

Back of the 6th seat, taken during a taxy run so not the best pic

310720101935.jpg

If you like, there is a rear crew seat in the garage I can photograph for you.

• Like 2

Gazza, the jump seat (or the imaginatively named 6th seat as it was better known!) is just the same as the 3 rear crew seats. It lives on a track between and behind the 2 pilots' seats,

Just looking through my pics for you. Firstly, the entrance step someone mentioned:

Main IP's

Rear IP's

As to the seats, I appear to have studiously avoided getting them in my shots it seems!

Back of the 6th seat, taken during a taxy run so not the best pic

If you like, there is a rear crew seat in the garage I can photograph for you.

Thanks Blue_2, appreciate the excellent photos... don't worry about the rear seat photo, I can just copy the existing seats. One thing I did notice in your first photo is that the floor appears to be light grey or possibly white in the vertical areas areas, is this the case in the rest of the cockpit? I do like the Made In England sign in the entrance.

Cheers, Gazza l

I think the risers on the steps are pale grey and they've been "bleached" by the camera flash. The inside of the fuselage skin is lined with quilted sound and thermal insulation which is not all that neatly applied if I remember rightly. The material is somewhere around Dark Sea Grey or Dark Admiralty Grey in colour. The forward part of the cockpit is a lighter grey, maybe a bit darker than some iterations of Medium Sea Grey, but hopefully Bob or Blue_2 can confirm or deny this.

Indeed the quilted insulation was a very dark grey almost black, The surface of the material became brittle and cracked in a few area's of heavy traffic (ham fisted riggers working in the cockpit) and a medium brown fibre was exposed. I was honored to to be aboard Lindy last September when her 4 Conway's were run up to max (sitting in the nav rad's position), unfortunately I didn't take any cockpit photo's as I was caught up in nostalgia. Hopefully, Andre will treat me to a fast taxi during our next re union this year (camera will definitely be working overtime) .

Bob

Good evening chaps, just a quick update.

Done a little more work in the cockpit, with a bit of colour added and a new jump seat built, some arm rests for the ejection seats and the photoetched IP installed.

004_zpstew2imiq

A bit of added detail on the Starboard cockpit wall... a dash of artistic license was used here!

006_zpsetwfzrul

Opened up and enlarged the ducts either side of the nose.

005_zpsnj9tozwh

Filled the enormous panel lines under the nose and bomb bay areas with a Super glue and talc filler... these will be re engraved later.

007_zps8bfydnv9

Also filled and sanded the tail planes.

008_zpsy4kewyqx

Added a piece of reamed out sprue to create a better looking tail fin duct.

001_zpsmibmejcy

Thanks for looking, gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps.

Not done much of late but managed a few hours this evening as the rain stopped any garden activities.

Turned up a couple of brass mass balance weights to go on the elevators (one of the few things in the kit that is undersize)

004_zpscx5kon92

To do this I used my improvised lathe... a Dremel and a needle file.

002 2_zpsngrrtjco

Also the metal Flightpath bullet fairings, front and back were added and the huge rudder joint filled ready for re-scribing.

003 2_zpsyfxtg4bp

All bits and pieces added, sink marks filled, vents and ducts opened up and then some light panel line engraving going a bit more heavily on the control surfaces.

005 2_zpstlmrrecp

Finally a quick coat of Alclad grey primer to highlight any blemishes.

006 3_zpsks6tffdx

Thanks for looking, gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 11

Hi again,

the fairings at the top of the fin front and rear were radar warning receivers and as such were a modification early to mid 80's if memory serves me right.

Great progress so far and certainly looking every inch a Victor.

Looking forward to seeing more soon.

Bob.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for your encouraging words and especially Bob for your technical knowledge. I hope to get the fuselage together this week, followed by the scary bit... chopping up the wings and added the resin intakes.

Regards, gazza l

Hi, just a quick update tonight.

Cockpit finished ready for assembly into fuselage.

002_zpsevzad2lp

Fuselage together with the help of large quantities of Tamiya tape... tailplane assembly also together.

003_zpsyk8g7hac

Cheers, gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 7

Nice. Very nice. I built this decades ago as a teenager, and I am starting to get the urge to build another. Your fault!!!!!!

Cheers,

Tom

This is looking really nice so far, I bought the same kit and aftermarket as you, so I'm going to be picking up a lot of tips from your effort here. The panel engraving looks excellent, not too heavy at all and nice and straight.

Rich

Thanks for the compliments chaps.

Coming along great, can just pretend for a second mine isn't hiding in the cuboard and instead looks like that

Come on get it out, you know you want to!!!

Nice. Very nice. I built this decades ago as a teenager, and I am starting to get the urge to build another. Your fault!!!!!!

Cheers,

Tom

Sorry about that Tom. I also built one way back in the 80's... probably made very badly, in a couple of hours.

Looks awesome! I always liked the empennage on the Victor and the P6M SeaMaster.

So.... starting the test fit the windscreen yet??

Running for cover.....

david

Actually I did a test fit this evening and I was pleasantly surprised; after about half an hour of fettling it fitted almost perfectly. I also sanded all the canopy surface detail off in preparation for the photoetch framing.

Cheers, gazza l

• Like 1