Roden Super VC-10 BOAC

Hi everyone, here is my latest build.

I have been waiting a long time for a decent VC-10, particularly in BOAC colours, so was very pleased when Roden announced their new release. I must admit I was a little disappointed when I received the kit, the flash was really bad (some of the windows were almost closed up) and the wing tips were short shot... but with a lot of scraping, building up and dry fitting it built into a fairly good kit.

I decided to use the kit decals which went on and settled very well but the pitches on the windows centres don't match the plastic window centres, so they gradually run out of alignment the time you get to the other end of the fuselage by about 3/4 of a window. Luckily I painted these areas black so it doesn't show to badly.

Painted with Humbrol 40 pale grey and Halfords appliance white. The only addition to the kit was some 4.5mm brass tube for the jet pipes.

I wanted to display it in flight, on a stand like the sort of thing you saw in the travel agents "back in the old days"!

Thanks for looking, gazza l

003_zpspgunxpxy.jpg

004_zpstrvylzlw.jpg

005_zpsnyemqyug.jpg

006_zpseo6jwdpb.jpg

007_zpslnwqjpdb.jpg

008_zpsrs3nklcg.jpg

009_zpsrlqcwlmo.jpg

010_zpsthkghdc1.jpg

• Like 36

That looks very good to me ,I done the Braz modles conversion a few years ago ,extended the fuselage , wing extensions ,engines ,but had to make my own wing fences ,the Roden model seems to have it's faults ,but at least it is complete

Lovely model of a great looking aircraft!

I think VC-10 and Il-62 are still the best looking passenger jets ever build. They are so streamlined with wings clear of engines and at the same time without an intake build up over fuselage like Tu-154. Classic BOAC livery even stronger underlines slim fuselage.

Thanks for showing us this beauty!

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

Looks great Gazza. Not sure whether to do mine in Speedbird or Nexus livery.

There is always the Negus livery if your after suggestions. :tease:

Looks great in BOAC colours though.

Chris

That is brilliant, remember seeing this colour scheme when i first went spotting at Heathrow a long time ago, you have shown how elegant the VC10 was, a thing of beauty.

You should be proud of it, i know i would be

Regards

Jim

There is always the Negus livery if your after suggestions. :tease:

Looks great in BOAC colours though.

Chris

Sadly my spotting days were limited to 1963 - 69, so my memories are limited to BOAC rather than BA. The only photo I have of a VC10 is SGBA (it needed two shots on the Brownie 127 to capture the whole plane!)

Nice to see more Roden VC10s appearing.

Good job with the kit decals I didn't think they would look so good! I wouldn't have thought of painting along the window line in black just in case of misalignment, luck you did though! 26 are reprinting their BOAC Super VC10 sheet so I'll be using them.

How well did the cockpit window masks work?

Are you going to add the antennae and drains?

Cheers,

Ian