Su-33UB Flanker-D - 1/72 scale - new from Trumpeter

Look what arrived this morning - this it's one of thos 'Drop everything and start it' kind of kits (at least for me it is ! :thumbsup:

So, what do you get - completely new upper and lower fuselage mouldings - with straight wheel bays !!

su-33ub_002.jpg

New, bigger wings - with folded or non-folded option....

su-33ub_003.jpg

New, bigger, non-folding horizontals stabs and canards, two-man cockpit tub....

su-33ub_004.jpg

The rest of the sprues are exactly the same as in the Su-33 kit - which means that the fins are incorrect - the rudders on the Su-33UB have increased chord - not too difficult to fix.

Trumpeter have obviously used the drawings from Aviatsiya i Vremya (Aviation and Time) magazine - the kit matches the drawings exactly....

su-33ub_015.jpg

Is it accurate ??? - this is the best I can do before building it....

Forward fuselage compared to AiV drawing.....

su-33ub_019.jpg

.... and compared to a 'doctored' photo......

su-33ub_020.jpg

The front canopy arch may not be vertical enough - but apart from that, it looks OK to me.

I can't wait to get started.

Nice one Trumpeter :worthy: :worthy:

Ken

• Like 8

A little progress..... the rudder chord has to be increased.....

su-33ub_021.jpg

The cockpit is perfectly adequate considering that the canopy is closed - the instrument detail is raised for those who like to paint - but Trumpeter supply decals, which I used....

su-33ub_022.jpg

The K-36 ejection seats are simplified - there is no firing handle - but Trumpeter include a clear plastic HUD and the whole cockpit looks OK to my simple tastes....

su-33ub_023.jpg

With the cockpit section in place, the fuselage can now be closed up...

Ken

• Like 6

Nice one Ken.

Looks pretty good compared with the drawings you got.

I see the interior colour you are using is not the blue

you usually use in Flankers. What colour is it?

It reminded me of the interior colour of the Su-25.

Following with interest.

Adrian

I see the interior colour you are using is not the blue you usually use in Flankers. What colour is it?

Adrian

It's the same - a tin of Humrol 65 Helblau - with a few drops of grey added.

I see what you mean though - it might need to be a bit 'bluer' ?

Ken

If any of you guys get this kit - can you work out where etched brass parts PE1 and PE2 go ???

I can't find it on the instruction sheet (nor on the Trumpeter Su-33 kit either)...... :shrug:

Wait a minute...... just dug out the old Trumpeter J-15 instructions - its an fin tip aerial specific to the PLANAF J-15 version.

Panic over - back to our scheduled build......

Ken

Here's a comparison photo with a Trumpeter Su-33 (which I am also building)..... note the wing fold further outboard on the Su-33UB (on the left).....

su-33ub_024.jpg

I've also made a crude attempt at adding a rear door.......

su-33ub_025.jpg

Ken

• Like 3

Hi, very interesting subject!

I´ve seen your investigations about Flankers and the models you´ve done on the web and i have to say that it´s outstanding. Also you are great doing modifications and improving the kits. I admire your work.

Soon I will star a Zvezda Su-27 SM. That kit is one of the seven wonders of the modern world... What do you say?

Best regards.

Ignacio from Uruguay.

I'm at about the same spot on my build of the SU-33UB. I was surprised at the detail on the kit. The intakes fit like a glove although I did leave off the engine face since you can't see it. I highly recommend this kit!

Soon I will star a Zvezda Su-27 SM. That kit is one of the seven wonders of the modern world... What do you say?

Hi Ignacio..... yes, the Zvezda kit is simple the best Flanker in 1/72 scale - totally accurate.

The only issue is the cross-section shape of the canopy - it is U-shaped rather than the correct horseshoe/Omega shape due to mould limitations.

Su-27SM_21.jpg

But it is not a problem in 1/72 scale - in my opinion.

Ken

• Like 1

I'm at about the same spot on my build of the SU-33UB. I was surprised at the detail on the kit. The intakes fit like a glove although I did leave off the engine face since you can't see it. I highly recommend this kit!

Post some photos Bravo52......

I have added a smear of filler where the engine intake fits against the rear nacelle - and also around the dorsal airbrake - but its going together really well.

What's your opinion about the shape/size of the radome ?? - it looks shorter in photos (although the fuselage length is exactly the same as the Su-33) - so painting will sort that out.

Some talk on ARC about the radome on the Su-33UB being bigger(wider) - but I can't see it myself.

Ken

This isn't a Su-34..

Yes...I must admit I wasn't even aware of this variant until now and just saw the twin cockpit and assumed it was an Su-34! But I'm supposing Trumpeter will bring out a new Su-34 as well....

Nice work Ken btw!

Progress.......

Trumpeter provide an 'unfolded' outer wing panel (left) - and a 'folded' panel with drooped flaperon (right).

They also include a wingtip launch rail (L) and a 'Sorbtsya' ESM pod (Right) - with detailed wing fold inserts (top)......

su-33ub_026.jpg

Unlike the Su-33, the Su-33UB wing fold is said to be vertical - so thats how I'm doing mine....

I used the 'unfolded' outer panels without the drooped flaperons (because in the vertical position, the drooped flaperons make the folded span greater!) - they are temporarily in place with brass rod supports......

su-33ub_027.jpg

su-33ub_028.jpg

I'm trying to maximise the differences between the Su-33UB and its progenitor, the Su-33 (which I am making with everything folded - wings, stabilators, tailcone and nose pitot - plus a retractable boarding ladder.)

Ken

• Like 1

What's your opinion about the shape/size of the radome ?? - it looks shorter in photos (although the fuselage length is exactly the same as the Su-33) - so painting will sort that out.

Ken

I think the kit radome is a bit too long. More like the shape is a bit off in the rear. This also makes the space between the front windscreen and the radome look a bit off as well...that said, the kit canopy fits really well so I'm not going to monkey with it....

I'll post some pics soon... oh, btw, I used the extra photoetch antennas for ejection handles...seemed to fit about right!

It's the same - a tin of Humrol 65 Helblau - with a few drops of grey added.

I see what you mean though - it might need to be a bit 'bluer' ?

Ken

Wonderful job! What do you think about AKAN color for Su-33?