Italeri AC119K

Another fairly recent but protracted build, started to try to unblock myself after a disaster with an Airfix Shackleton. I'm a bugger for tinkering and it ended up being a bit of a time vampire and left on the shelf for long periods. As a kit it's a bit dated and I wanted to sort out the panel lines and add a few rivets as the original was covered in them. The kit I have dates back to the early 80s and the decals were pretty much shot, I ended up glueing them down with pva. I also ended up losing the optical sight thing in the front door so scratch built a new one from some tube. All said I'm fairly happy with it; the weathering and snagging was probably the most fun phase over the course of a weekend in company with a Peaky Blinders box set. I've got a transport version somewhere as well but I'll need to recharge before getting back into that amount of upgrading.

image.jpg3_zpsboai14gf.jpg

image.jpg4_zpssoozckwd.jpg

image.jpg1_zps8g3lnofm.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsfmlnwqe2.jpg

Cheers

Liam

• Like 50

Oh now I do like that a lot....!!!

What an absolute top job. Really like the weathering on it - just right. I have one in the stash and will be delighted if I can match that.

Great effort.

Phil

• Like 1

Like your paint job nice work. This is one of my favourite kits and have a couple put to one side. Its just a pity they are moulding in black.

Greg

• Like 1

Liam, a C-119 beautifully built and finished. I have a couple to build myself but they are on my list of "What if I muck it up" models, so they keep getting returned to the stash until I feel braver.

Well done, Trev.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the kind responses, for all that it needed a fair bit of work it was quite enjoyable. As some have noted the kit comes in a horrid black plastic which I needed to bend my head around but a coat of grey primer sorted that out. Scribing all the panel lines was a bit of a bore but I felt it was worth doing. If I was to do this again I'd make sure that I used stronger glue on the tail booms as for some reason one kept getting unstuck while handling it. A couple of people have mentioned the props; I made a bit of extra effort with these as they are quite distinctive. I polished up the centre boss with a bit of rub n buff, and the rest were finished in Alclad with black detailing. The shiny chopping surface on the blade was then applied with bare metal foil as I'd had about enough of masking.

Great C-119 and lovely paint work just shows what you can do with an old kit.

Guy

• Like 1