1/48 MPM Fw190 s8

i bought this as a started kit...the previous modeler had done some nice work so i chose preserve as much of his work as i could.

he had plannes to fit a CMK engine set,but i couldnt get it in the cowling,lucky for me he had a tamiya engine in the box and i adapted that,the canopy is an after market clear resin one,and as far as i can tell the rest of the kit is pretty much out of box.

i touched up the paint where it needed to be,and then played around with weathering.

13413790_1018832191487494_11314771230120

13442232_1018832204820826_51539214779496

13435407_1018832224820824_12067523757570

13413661_1018832214820825_85193933793768

i'd like to think i did him proud.

• Like 14

While the photos are blocked at work, the text about an aftermarket resin canopy for the Fw 190S-8 has my interest. Who makes it? In the kit were two vacuum-formed canopies and one injection molded polystyrene one (to cover the S-5 & S-8 variants). Good to know about the engine. I also have an ExtraTech engine I may try to fit instead.

Regards,

Sharkmouth,i have no idea who made the resin canopy(it certainly seemed more like resin than plastic)...it was in the kit when i bought it...i still have the two vacformed canopies...if you wanted to open up the whole front the CMK set would be great.....mine was 3/4 built and was worried about stuffing the model by cutting the whole nose off(and i didnt have the resin cowls and gun cover)...the extra tech engine looks very nice.

• Like 1

Sharkmouth,i have no idea who made the resin canopy(it certainly seemed more like resin than plastic)...it was in the kit when i bought it...i still have the two vacformed canopies...

I think that the resin canopy you are referring to is the injected molded one. It is slightly strange looking so I could see why some may think it was resin but mine is still on the sprue tree as mounted for an injection molding press. My parts still look like these:190sc.jpg

I am quite curious to see your work when I get home. I thought the kit surfaces were quite nice, the wheel bays are very good but I had bought Eduard's Fw 190 A-5 & A-8 in case I wanted to use their parts. Friends told me of fit issues so I also picked up the same kits from Hasegawa (getting some nice ground vehicles at the same time (BMW on one kit).

Regards,

sharkmouth you could be right....it wasn't on the sprue and didnt really feel like plastic(it's pretty thin for an injection molded one).

the wheel bays are pretty and the interior is good as well,mine has a set of resin seats with cast in belts(i didnt have the PE set for it)but the instrument panels were already fitted.

thanks every one,this was my first geman plane for about 20 years....i might just do one or two more.