1/72 Zvezda Yakolev Yak-3 "White 15"

Hi,

usually I do not touch "Snap Fit" kits, since I had some rather disappointing experiences (with tanks) before.

Now the new Zvezda model of the Yak-3 is a totally different league.

Apart from the fact that you actually can assemble the whole model without a drop of glue, it also provides sufficient detail and good measurement - and there's even aftermarket accessories available from the likes of Eduard, Rob Taurus and CMK.

I confess I did use glue on some parts, like the landing gear and some small pieces, just to make sure they don't go astray.

The model was painted with Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics, the decals are from the box.

I had some reservations about their quality, as there was a yellow-ish tone on the carrier film.

All of this disappeared when I put the markings on, so no worries here.

There seem to be different interpretations of this particular scheme, some sources recommend a red spinner with white tail lines, while Zvezda suggest grey spinner and yellow stripes. I went with their instructions.

It represents the plane of Lt. S. I. Rogovoy, of 64th GIAP / 4th GIAD, on the 2nd Baltic Front, autumn 1944.

The pitot tube was replaced by a piece of wire.

a_DSC9458_zpsmsteugmq.jpga_DSC9459_zps4xoqrjyo.jpga_DSC9461_zpsmdgthjff.jpga_DSC9463_zpsqz7j2ibf.jpga_DSC9464_zpsrx6ohbh8.jpga_DSC9465_zpsfzeajypy.jpga_DSC9466_zps4shgzlpm.jpga_DSC9467_zpsvetgegto.jpga_DSC9468_zps4mdvqbqd.jpga_DSC9469_zpscwlrumkx.jpga_DSC9470_zpspvelcfve.jpga_DSC9471_zpskydzvgsb.jpga_DSC9473_zps47ywjrsa.jpga_DSC9474_zpslkyssfjz.jpga_DSC9475_zpsmps6xt6b.jpga_DSC9477_zpsni1lebqm.jpga_DSC9478_zpsrdpcrcpq.jpga_DSC9479_zps3w8tqdty.jpga_DSC9480_zps2zpvcr2z.jpga_DSC9481_zpsiykcear8.jpga_DSC9482_zps9ppufkkm.jpga_DSC9483_zpsmgzg9xjo.jpga_DSC9484_zpsuh2y0q5w.jpga_DSC9485_zpsycdqzowp.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Best wishes from Vienna,

Roman

• Like 23

Hi Again Roman!!!

Congratulations for this build My Friend!!!

I have had a bad experience with some Chinese armor products that said in the box there were 1/72 but seem the producers are liars as the tanks and APC were so bigger that when compared with the real 1/72 this ones seem dwarfs...so I have resolved and sold wathever I had related with this two boxes of 16 models. Anyway, there are some people to whom the scales thing doesn't matter as for they are more important to build anything buildable wathever size it was.

I have bought recently two kits of this line of Sbap-fit kits that really doesn't have anything with Snap as the detail level are more than average for this kind of kits. I bought the Bf 109 F for my Messerschmitt Bf 109 collection and also the FW 190 A-3 subtype as I don't wanted to build my Matchbox kit as I wanted something more detailed...and was more than happy for the 109 but with little reserves as for the 190 than was thinking to go farther and buy the Tamiya kit..

Anyway, the level of detail of those kits is so nice that makes one to forget about the Snap-Fit things and invite the modeler to raise the detail level at least a little. You have got better results raising the detail level higher than many jobs with those kind of kits I have seen, but really the way you got this kit and transform this simple example in a little jewel is exceptional. Without a doubt, as soon I have chance I willbuy this kit for the collection of Snaps but with the idea of having a nice model and with at least the 40% of the nice results you got, for sure I will be more than happy.

Thank you very much for sharing and cheers from Guatemala!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments!

I can recommend this kit for both detail & ease of assembly.

Here's a 'under construction' shot of the pilots office, with Eduard's pre-painted phot etch:

IMG_0182_zps8xpgoqrc.jpg

Greetings from Vienna.

Roman

• Like 3

Very nice job Roman, having built their Bf109F, Fw190A and Stuka I can agree with you that these are no toys. The Stuka was the best in my opinion followed by the Bf109 (which lacks some details you would notice) and then the Fw190 which is passable but not to the standard of the others.

Duncan B