Indian Jaguars.

RMP2

Having finally found a suitable nose for the IM version, I am trying to gather info in general for the Indian spec Jags, the IS, IM and IT versions (I think thats the chisel nose, Agave radar and two seater versions respectively).

The Sea Eagle missile is a given for the Agave version, bit of a shame theres nothing in the way of aftermarket missiles there unless Im mistaken. Looks like a bit of begging is in order from a Bucc or Harrier kit.

One thing thats got me confused missile wise is the fact that Ive often read that the IAF Jags could carry the Martel AS.37, the anti radar version, but I cannot find a photo for proof of this, can anyone shed any light there?

Magic missiles are pictured on overwing rails which is something a bit different, but thats about where the differences between UK and French etc Jags end regards my knowledge - there just doesnt seem to be all that much about the IAF versions that is easily found. More so regards their two seaters - could/can they carry boomy stuff or are they trainers only for example? How about the ECM/counter measure stuff we are so used to seeing on RAF Jags? Or even targeting pods for the IAF?

If anyone has links or info in general as to the differences and/or bits carried Id love to hear.

Ive also posted a thread in the wanted section for decals as the MA set would be a lot easier than guessing at MiG-21 roundel sizes etc, but I wont ask for those here, just mentioning it. :)

Seriously though, could do with a good info base for the IAF Jaguars. Apols if Ive missed something thats already out there......

Edited by RMP2

There's a site called bharat-rakshak.com that's quite good on all things Indian, at least as a starting point.

On the Jaguar IM, I've heard that about Martel carriage before and so far as I know it's wrong. Might stem from the Sea Eagle being derived from the radar-homing Martel. An alternative is the refit where the Agave radar was replaced with an Elta unit and the Sea Eagle replaced with Harpoon. Not my cup of wee, as it also went plain grey.

Out of interest, what scale are you working in, and where do you get the IM nose?

Thanks, Ill take a look at that site.

Yea, the Sea Eagle link made me wonder too. I was a bit sceptical regards the Harpoon as well, thats a recent development/rumour isnt it? The plain grey is news to me though, I will rummage again.

1/48 is the weapon of choice here, nose/s from The Model Works, not sure if they have any left, but - [email protected] is what found me mine thanks to a certain member on here. :) Finding the Model Alliance decal sheet is sadly another thing altogether!

I used the Model Works nose on mine and it was very nice. The new pitots are a bit tricky to mount accurately, and they omit a third sensor on the left side of the nose. If your package included the centreline pylon, so much the better. If you're using the Heller / Airfix kit a new cockpit is a must.

As for the Model Alliance decals, there were some silly little errors, but still absolutely your best bet because of the squadron markings. I can only wish you luck.

Cheers.

Its just the nose cones by themselves I believe, they are yet to arrive. As for the kit, it wil either be the Kitty Hawk or the Airfix - Im familiar with both and yes, I know exactly what you mean. ;)

Decals... yea, its going to be interesting.

The Indian maritime strike Jaguar IMs definitely now use the Harpoon missile. See post number 44 here: http://indiandefence.com/threads/sale-of-four-naval-vessels-to-vietnam-confirmed.50271/page-3 amongst other references as an example.

WRT to Sea Eagle in 1/48 aside from robbing a Bucc or Tornado kit (or even the old Airfix Sea Harrier FRS1 IIRC), there is the Flightpath one as well:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17839&cat=276&page=2

Edited by Biggles81
  • Like 1

If your project progresses with the discovery of any decals, I've got a couple of Sea Eagles from my current Bucc build.

Your welcome to them.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, will have to see how I get on, my usual progess isnt known to be particularly speedy shall we say. :

The Indian maritime strike Jaguar IMs definitely now use the Harpoon missile. See post number 44 here: http://indiandefence.com/threads/sale-of-four-naval-vessels-to-vietnam-confirmed.50271/page-3 amongst other references as an example.

WRT to Sea Eagle in 1/48 aside from robbing a Bucc or Tornado kit (or even the old Airfix Sea Harrier FRS1 IIRC), there is the Flightpath one as well:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17839&cat=276&page=2

Brilliant stuff, cheers Biggles! :) A Harpoon on a Jag, now thats rather different.

I had a niggling feeling Id seen an aftermarket one somewhere, that must be it.

The Sea Eagle is also included in the Kinetic Sea Harrier FRS.1 and FA.2.

Also thank you, the Kinetic weapons are really nice from what Ive seen so good call.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Decals found for not only the Indian schemes but also the Nigerian. :)

On the search for images and feedback on the Flightpath Sea Eagle missile now, cant find much about it anywhere so far.

Also looking for more photos of the Indian Jags Sea Eagle pylon as thats all Im really missing now (apart from some pitots that also need looking into for scratching).

Always appreciating any help and of course photos! :)

• 5 weeks later...

If your project progresses with the discovery of any decals, I've got a couple of Sea Eagles from my current Bucc build.

Your welcome to them.

Rob.

Thanks for these, Rob! :)

Thats me all sorted I think. Resin Agave nose, decals and a couple of Sea Eagles (in case I screw one up) complete with pylons that look more than passable once modded, decals for the boomys and instructions.

All the above wouldnt have been found if it wasnt for help from various folk on here. All very much appreciated indeed!

Its a rare thing to find help and things just posted out to get things rolling with no charge.

Knew I would forget something...

The camo colours - The Model Alliance decals destructions call for Medium Sea Grey and Barley Grey. While that doesnt sound far off and makes sense, can anyone confirm?

I know photos vary wildly, but in some they look rather more blue and erm cheerful. I like that. :)

In the end I picked Dark Sea Grey and Barley Grey for mine. The DSG adds that elusive hint of blue. Don't forget that it goes where the Dark Green goes on RAF Jaguars, and the Barley Grey goes where the DSG is.

• Like 1

This one looks rather nice

http://anupkumarchaturvedi.com/00001_45.jpg

or this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PRYngPaR4-8/S0jpQIbPUOI/AAAAAAAABp4/llkRapZGjI0/s400/jagim-i.jpg

If anyone did a conversion set for the Kitty Hawk kitty I'd buy it no problem!

Trevor

In the end I picked Dark Sea Grey and Barley Grey for mine. The DSG adds that elusive hint of blue. Don't forget that it goes where the Dark Green goes on RAF Jaguars, and the Barley Grey goes where the DSG is.

Cheers. Some more looking around showed that that seems to be the way to go.

Yea, sneaky with the swap around of the darker grey, cheers, easy mistake to make and hopefully the blue tinge will show when contrasted with the Barley, funny how colours seem to change depending on what they are next to.

Feel free to lob some photos of yours in here, would be great to see. :)

Aye, Trevor, theyre the sort of photos that Ive been looking at. Pretty when the colours pop like that. Will have to see how it works out.

I will also offer the Agave nose up to a KH I have here, I may have one of those funny pointy noses spare... ;)

Edited by RMP2

By eye it looks like the Agave nose could work with the KH, but photos just seem to exaggerate perspective so it makes little sense.

The biggest issue I can see from just lining it up is that the front edge of the forward nose hatch bit of the KH nose would be pretty much right on the cut line, that goes for either the RAF or French KH version.

I reckon it could be done though - filler and sand paper standing by (not that it wouldnt be for either KH or the Airfix/Revell).

For what its worth (terrible photos, I know, but its late...) -

French KH:

P1110058%20Medium.jpg

P1110059%20Medium.jpg

RAF KH:

P1110060%20Medium.jpg

P1110061%20Medium.jpg

P1110062%20Medium.jpg

As I say, the camera is pulling the perspective right up, but hey, it looks doable with not loads of work or at least appears so from what I can see.

However.... I will be using a Revell when the time comes, the KHs have their own plans. ;)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2016 at 2:29 AM, charlie_c67 said:

Was gonna say, if it was 1/72, there is the old airfix NATO/RAF weapons set you could use. No idea about larger though!

Hi there

Well in 1/72 scale the best Sea Eagle ASM is inside the Hasegawa Sea Harrier FRS.1

if someone interested on the nose I can cast some of them

Best day

Armando