1/72nd Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.VIII, SEAC, Wg. Cdr. Frank Carey, AFTU, Armarda Road, India 1944

Hiya Folks,

Another one which has been on the go for some time now is this Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.VIII wearing the colours of ace Frank Carey when he was the CO of the Air Fighting Training Unit at Armarda Road in India in 1944.

Carey`s characteristic red and white stripe on the fuselage was made on on the model using the decals from two AZ Model kits which only supply the stripe incorrectly as a single `L' shaped flash along the side of the nose.

DSCF8002_zps2wqmeyao.jpg

DSCF8005_zpsgixzpwep.jpg

DSCF8003_zpscs7bfhjh.jpg

DSCF7995_zpszixlckpq.jpg

DSCF7997_zps2wdkarsa.jpg

DSCF8006_zpsl8vch9ac.jpg

DSCF7996_zpsn6wase6q.jpg

As usual the model was painted using a hairey stick, using Humbrol enalmels,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 18

Great job, as is always the norm with your work, Tony.

Was there a red primer underneath on this aircraft - it seems that is what I'm seeing in the weathered areas, or red was used as a touch up?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Thanks folks, I`ve always admired Frank Carey and it was great to build a model of one of his aircraft.

Simon-The underside colour is Medium Sea Grey.

Jack- The red tinge wasn`t intentional and I cannot see it myself,......I did add a touch of red/earth coloured Mig pigment powder to the weathered areas to represent the wear and tear of the groundcrews boots on the surfaces,.....maybe it is this that you can see?

Cheers

Tony

You've got me into bother now Tony. I was so impressed with your Spitfire, that I looked on 'tinterweb to see if those markings were available in 1/48 scale. Low and behold, they are on an Iliad Designs sheet, so I've ordered a set.

The reaction from the Mistress of the Blue Horizon, "More flamin' stickers???"

• Like 3